Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

30 minutes ago, tom_widdows said:

Wigan players still not been paid. 
Chairman supposedly 'assuring' the EFL everything is fine but statement last week said '"as many employees as possible within the organisation with the resources available".

spacer.png

Allegedly only paid those players who will be under contract next season. 

2 hours ago, Jute said:

Looks like McCrorie definitely away. 

I suspect he must have a release clause, 2 mill seems a wee bit low for a player with 3 years left on his deal.  Hopefully we have a 25% sell on clause as I think Mcrorie will do well in that league. 

1 minute ago, tlg1903 said:

I suspect he must have a release clause, 2 mill seems a wee bit low for a player with 3 years left on his deal.  Hopefully we have a 25% sell on clause as I think Mcrorie will do well in that league. 

It's not low though. There's a limit to what people will pay for a player, regardless of contract length. I'd have him valued at around £750K if he'd had a year left. I think the club should be given immense credit for managing to get a club to pay £2M for him. That's clearly, already, an inflated valuation which takes into account the 3 years left.

9 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

It's not low though. There's a limit to what people will pay for a player, regardless of contract length. I'd have him valued at around £750K if he'd had a year left. I think the club should be given immense credit for managing to get a club to pay £2M for him. That's clearly, already, an inflated valuation which takes into account the 3 years left.

I disagree.  I would have been looking for about 3 for him given how DC was very clear in his recent interview that the club is in the black and under no requirement to sell.  2 mill doesn't exactly seem like hard balling to me which is why I think he must have a release clause. 

Not that what we think matters anyway.  The deal seems to be done and good luck to him. 

Think we did well getting £2m personally. Ive liked McRorie this season in his current position,but if the current backline wasnt maintained and formation continued, we were back to shoehorning him into uncomfortable positions. Would have said a fair % of us werent normally over enthused with him

17 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

I disagree.  I would have been looking for about 3 for him given how DC was very clear in his recent interview that the club is in the black and under no requirement to sell.  2 mill doesn't exactly seem like hard balling to me which is why I think he must have a release clause. 

Not that what we think matters anyway.  The deal seems to be done and good luck to him. 

It's easy saying £3M, but actually getting someone to pay that is something entirely different, every player has a ceiling value. They'd just walk away from the deal. The bidding probably started around £750K-1M (that's his value on transfermrkt, which obviously requires a little pinch of salt, but seems reasonable), so I think they've been very difficult to deal with. I think we're doing the club a disservice here, and being incredibly unrealistic if we're expecting more for a strong athlete of limited ability (an upgraded Dom Ball). "No requirement to sell" is aimed at the guys with potential, not McRorie. The only reason we would not sell McRorie is if the board felt the turnover of players was already too great (I'd agree with), not because of the player himself. For me, £2M for McRorie is the equivalent of being offered £5M for Duk or Miovski. You'd have to let the player consider his options with such an offer, it'd be deeply unfair not to.

12 minutes ago, tom_widdows said:

Chunk of that 2million heading into SEVCO's coffers apparently

10%

Think £2m is good value for him if a straight forward deal but apparently only £2m once a number of add ons achieved allegedly 

34 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Is it appropriate for my annual Mikey Johnson worth a look comment yet? Not everyone’s cup of tea but I think looking at old firm fringe players like Niall mcginn and Ross mccrory is worth it.

Absolutely, however the fact he's now a full international who has spent a year in the Portuguese top flight, and has three years still on his contract, means he'll likely be way out of our price range.

• Like 1

Rather than get drawn into transfer debate on the match thread, will add this here. 

One of the most important things in the summer is going to be players being released. We're going to be buying at least ten players, of which law of averages tell us that five will be shite. We've seen today what happens when you carry shite in the squad and have to rely on them. With that in mind, I think it's vital that we ditch at least three from Morris, Roberts, Richardson and Myslovic (alongside the others leaving of natural causes). Otherwise we become loaded with pish. Robson should probably just draw a name from a hat to see which one gets to stay.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Morris, Roberts, Richardson and Myslovic (alongside the others leaving of natural causes). Otherwise we become loaded with pish. Robson should probably just draw a name from a hat to see which one gets to stay.

Roberts could be a player though if we can actually get him fit.

I think this summer we probably won't have the same recruitment strategy of overloading the right hand side with wingers, not signing defenders, and then playing a 4-5-1 where we didn't actually need any of those wingers.

Thanks Jim Goodwin. 

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Roberts could be a player though if we can actually get him fit.

I think this summer we probably won't have the same recruitment strategy of overloading the right hand side with wingers, not signing defenders, and then playing a 4-5-1 where we didn't actually need any of those wingers.

Thanks Jim Goodwin. 

Roberts is gash. The problem with the recruitment strategy is that when you have to sign so many first team players, it largely goes out the window as you begin to miss out on targets for the usual reasons. It gets worse when you then have to change formation because one of your first team signings is fucking honking, rendering several other signings surplus in the process. Goodwin was clearly intending a 4-2-3-1 or variation of that, which requires plenty of Morris, Roberts, Besuijen, Duk (the theory was he was a left sided attacking player) types. Stewart blew that out the water, as did Richardson. Robson has a slightly better hand to deal with, in that many of the key areas are covered assuming we can hold onto certain players. If Duk leaves, then decisions have to be made with regard to a front two, otherwise that's pretty much our only option, so we need wing backs, and good ones.

Our signings will most likely end up dictating the formation. Get our first choice right and left back for example then it’s most likely a back 4. If we were to resign scales and pollock for example, we build around a back 3. We don’t have the funds to buy players to fit a system, we have to sign the best players we can afford and figure out the formation that suits them best. Sadly.

we have to offload. We signed some shit last year and cannot afford a bloated squad. Plus we’ve seen with Goodwin, and last few games with Robson, a handful of guys can’t play for us. Morris Roberts Stewart Richardson Watkins polvara and Kennedy aren’t good enough and we don’t have the luxury to afford to keep them around. Possibly mylovic too. More than a handful.

Id say we got it right with miovski duk Rama Roos, if we can get 4 more legit starters that’s a great start. Roos Macdonald Rama duk/miovski are the only legit starters we have, and I say it that way as I don’t see both duk and miovski here in august, we’ll cash one in.

it’s essential we sign shinnie. We’ve seen his impact, a huge factor in our turnaround, and a huge hole when he’s been suspended. We’ve been pretty shit without him. I also think we continue the clarkson/Maddison/Christie strategy when we really shoot hard for a top loaner from the big English clubs as the creative midfielder (yes, Christie was Celtic), it may be expensive but if Morris and roberts are the best we can afford, this loanee is a massive signing.

I’ll throw it out there and say Robson is a players coach and can inspire. Could vinnie do a job for him, #10 behind miovski? I think so. He’s still young and raw we have to remember, he’s got talent.

I don’t give a shit that he signed for the Huns, I’d take Scott Wright back. I’d take arfield too even though he’s 34. Ralston, welsh, James Forrest, can we afford them? I’d use Barron as a chip to deal there.

Edited by OrlandoDon