Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

No he isn't. Taylor under McInnes (especially second spell) was better than anything we've seen from Rubezic to date. He is very similar to Taylor in his first few games for us so far. Positionally suspect, meaning he dives in when he shouldn't and terrible with the ball. We turned Taylor into a very serviceable SPFL defender. We will more than likely do the same with a Rubezic once he's in a settled position. He has enough attributes to make him a decent player. I didn't get a good view of the penalty, but he was too far off the man initially and allowed him to run at him. It looked to me like he dived in to prevent the player getting a shot and I'm surprised he wasn't sent off. In his defence, it was late in a game that we were chasing and everyone was out of position, so I wouldn't read much into the incident - I don't think it'll be indicative of him as a player either way.

I think he’s looked better than Taylor, plus is younger, way better upside. Ruby has joined an unsettled team, I think he’s got real potential. As I said before, and I think you agreed, way too much has been asked of him and he’s made mistakes. When he arrived he was meant to simply be a big loon who’d mark his man and wins the ball. He’s had more possession than he probably wants, plus as acknowledged, for the penalty it was late in the game, he was exposed, and he dove in on a very good player looking for his hat trick.  He was highly regarded before his injury and I think he’s one we see selling on for a few quid in a few years. 

my question now is who is our preferred 3 at the back? I’m assuming Jensen on the left but the other two? I certainly want us to develop the two we own, plus I think Macdonald is the older head/leader and middle player, but I don’t see the loaners coming here to sit on the bench. Do any of the 5 play holding mid/Rama’s position?? I also mentioned before, I certainly hope there’s nothing more to macdonald’s injury and maybe we simply rushed him back a little early??

Edited by OrlandoDon
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wrong thread probably buy can't find the "where are our former Dutchmen?" thread, but interesting to note that Jay Gorter is playing in the first team at Ajax.

By the looks of things he replaced the first choice off the bench at the start of the season and has been playing ever since.

2 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

So is gartenmann on a loan with a buying option? Started well but obviously still time to prove he’s pish. While nice to see scales doing well, would rather not develop another loanee, would be nice to develop a group of defenders who can play together for more than one season.

I don’t mind developing players for other clubs, as long as they’re not in Scotland. They’re not the problem for us. I’ve been trying to find out that same bit of information, seems to be a few conflicting ideas floating around. Regardless, I agree, would be nice to develop a defensive partnership for a few consecutive seasons.

Just on Gartenmann, it sounds like he’s be keen to be here permanently but as his club only gave the go ahead late in the window a loan was likely the only option. Hopefully something can happen at the end of his loan. This came from chris Harvey. Most of that is what he’s also said in his redtv pre match conference interview. He talks a lot of sense.

9 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Do you resent scales doing well then? Or do you dislike that Celtic benefit? But do they really?? My like is he’s a decent lad doing well, good on him. Despise the tic, but that’s not his fault.

I was just being facetious. I see the Scales thing as a failure on our part. Right from the minute he joined in fact. We got rid of Considine on the promise of a signing that all the fans would be excited about, and we got a rough-around-the-edges loanee from the Tims. We had an entire window to iron out a deal with them that would ensure we had an agreement to buy in place, but we didn't get one and we didn't walk away. Instead, we played a transformational role in his development before being dicked around for another window. Much as I despise the Huns, and us getting Huns, the loan of McRorie with pre-agreed fee was a significantly better way to do business - and probably the only acceptable way to business with a rival in our league. With Scales doing well, and Christie before him, it's probably now seen as a viable route for up and coming young Celtic players. I'm not convinced that's a good thing for us.

• Like 1