Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

50 minutes ago, Panda said:

I disagree with your first sentence. It's his value to the team and what Aberdeen can make with him being in it.

I agree he's not a utility player, he's a right wing back and now we've a manager who recognises that he's only going to get better.

He also fits perfectly into the type of team Barry Robson is trying to put together.

I'd rather Bristol kept their £2m and we had another two years out of him.

I'd rather we kept him too, to save us having to sign another player, but that's not a basis for his valuation. I don't understand how you arrive at >£2M at all if I'm honest, it doesn't really make sense. He's either not for sale at any price, or at a value that clubs are willing to pay. Given that we only ever spend a maximum of £500K on players (Hernandez is a massive, erroneous, outlier that looked like a money laundering exercise rather than a serious signing), I don't see any difference between us getting £2M or £3M (or whatever). Yet you seem to be saying that a higher offer would be acceptable? I don't think that there's a single player worth more to Aberdeen than £2M as it's not the market we operate in for signings. Clarkson is probably the closest to that, but it's arguable that Barron could cover that role and still get the team to third. McRorie isn't the difference in a league position, unless we replace him with a corpse. He could have been missing from any of our recent games and we'd have had the same outcome with Kennedy. He's just not a player that takes us to another level, or offers goals, assists or last ditch challenges. 

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I'd rather we kept him too, to save us having to sign another player, but that's not a basis for his valuation. I don't understand how you arrive at >£2M at all if I'm honest, it doesn't really make sense. He's either not for sale at any price, or at a value that clubs are willing to pay. Given that we only ever spend a maximum of £500K on players (Hernandez is a massive, erroneous, outlier that looked like a money laundering exercise rather than a serious signing), I don't see any difference between us getting £2M or £3M (or whatever). Yet you seem to be saying that a higher offer would be acceptable? I don't think that there's a single player worth more to Aberdeen than £2M as it's not the market we operate in for signings. Clarkson is probably the closest to that, but it's arguable that Barron could cover that role and still get the team to third. McRorie isn't the difference in a league position, unless we replace him with a corpse. He could have been missing from any of our recent games and we'd have had the same outcome with Kennedy. He's just not a player that takes us to another level, or offers goals, assists or last ditch challenges. 

Well clearly every player has their price. Ramsay was certainly sellable.

But as I said, we'll likely lose a lot of starters this summer. It's important we don't destabilise the team too much over summer until we've actually got a team in place. But yes if big money comes in then you have to say yes.

However, I don't think £2m (and let's be honest it'll be 500k up front with instalments and add ons) is big money, especially when it'll leave us with yet another big hole to fill.

If third place is worth £5m-6m, then I'd say there's a bigger reward for keeping the likes of McCrorie.

My opinion, remembering I'm the best part of 4000 miles away, is that McRorie is a very "Robson type" of player, and I mean that in terms of his management style. If he goes, and if we stick with Robson, we need to replace McRorie with someone very similar as I believe he's a big part of Barry's system and plan. We don't need superstars in every position, we need the players that work well both with the manager and in his/her system.

Fergie built a team that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panda said:

Well clearly every player has their price

Exactly, that's pretty much my point. I'd say that £2M is that for a guy like McRorie, and it'd be very unfair to not give him the opportunity to look at it and see if it's for him. It's a really high offer and very difficult for the club to turn down. I think it's exceptionally unfair to suggest we should be holding out for more, especially if you're saying that he shouldn't be sold at all (I'd be happy with that). By saying "every player has their price", you're essentially saying that he's replaceable, as regardless of the amount received we'll get the same amount to replace him (<£500K). 

5 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Exactly, that's pretty much my point. I'd say that £2M is that for a guy like McRorie, and it'd be very unfair to not give him the opportunity to look at it and see if it's for him. It's a really high offer and very difficult for the club to turn down. I think it's exceptionally unfair to suggest we should be holding out for more, especially if you're saying that he shouldn't be sold at all (I'd be happy with that). By saying "every player has their price", you're essentially saying that he's replaceable, as regardless of the amount received we'll get the same amount to replace him (<£500K). 

Aye but when you say he's replaceable, I'm saying he'll be very, very difficult to replace.

What would be the equivalent of McCrorie? You've said Devlin - he's not on on McCrorie's level (imo) and likely not for what we signed McCrorie for too.

It would be the equivalent of signing Anthony Ralston to use an example - a player good enough to play for the Old Firm but doesn't play most weeks. That's what McCrorie was to Rangers. 

We struck lucky with McCrorie, and I think he'll he really tough to replace.

NB: Bristol City are fucking shite anyway. 

7 hours ago, Panda said:

Aye but when you say he's replaceable, I'm saying he'll be very, very difficult to replace.

What would be the equivalent of McCrorie? You've said Devlin - he's not on on McCrorie's level (imo) and likely not for what we signed McCrorie for too.

It would be the equivalent of signing Anthony Ralston to use an example - a player good enough to play for the Old Firm but doesn't play most weeks. That's what McCrorie was to Rangers. 

We struck lucky with McCrorie, and I think he'll he really tough to replace.

NB: Bristol City are fucking shite anyway. 

Devlin is available on a free, he's experienced, positionally aware, gets assists and regularly makes it to the back post to get on the end of things. I don't think he's as good as McRorie, but he's not far off it. The point being is that if you had slotted Devlin into the side a few weeks ago, we'd likely be in the same position as now, and that's just a guy I'm picking because I've seen him plenty of times, the scouts will have better shouts. McRorie has some really big flaws to his game, hence why Ralston is in Scotland squads and McRorie never likely to be in contention, they're not comparable. McRorie wasn't good enough for the Huns, he was getting pushed further and further out (that's not a criticism) as they spent more and more. Dean Campbell would be an equivalent for us.

We replaced Ferguson with worse players but have adapted and made do and are still in third. I doubt we'll get anyone as good as Clarkson for next season either. Duk, Miovski, Ramadani, Shinnie (I'd argue MacDonald and Roos too) are also players as good or better than McRorie in their respective positions and the incremental improvement McRorie adds will be taken up by signings in other areas, even if we don't improve on McRorie. The turnover is our biggest issue, but I suspect that's why shitey Bristol are having to pay so much.

Wigan failing to pay their players on time for the second month in a row.
Not exactly following them but they were close to following Bury into oblivion a couple of seasons back and this new chairman is either making the same mistake so many people have when thinking they can make money from a lower league football team.....or is taking them for a ride.

Not sure if this improves the chances of Shinnie getting a permanant move or not

32 minutes ago, tom_widdows said:

Wigan failing to pay their players on time for the second month in a row.
Not exactly following them but they were close to following Bury into oblivion a couple of seasons back and this new chairman is either making the same mistake so many people have when thinking they can make money from a lower league football team.....or is taking them for a ride.

Not sure if this improves the chances of Shinnie getting a permanant move or not

We should offer them some tickets in the corporate end in return for Shinnie. Make them feel special. Probably work a treat on that type of chancer. Reminds you of the various charlatans that got hold of the Hun during their first few years as a club.

34 minutes ago, Jute said:

I would guess Wigan could be under a transfer embargo by then so think our chances of getting Shinnie will depend on if they already have someone in that position that is staying. 

Could the club go into admin?  Then they would have to accept any reasonable offers you would think. 

I haven’t seen any comms on this and tlg’s comment in the match thread reminded me. Do we think we’ll see McCrorie in red again? Find it odd that they’d be doing this “op” now given we haven’t got 3rd secured. Would it be player or club pushing this?

40 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

I pay very little attention to other teams players, Nicky Devlin any good? What type of right back is he??

I personally think this would be a good signing as a 'proper' RB positional player. Something we have been missing for years

I reckon Devlin's just the type of player we should be signing. A better player from another premier league club, within budget and can do a job. His age isn't ideal but given we need quite a few players this summer - especially in his position - then I think it's a good move. You wouldn't necessarily want a team full of "best of the rest" type players but a handful, mixed in with well scouted signing from abroad such as Duk and Miovski and promising youth of our own and I think we'd be on the right track.

He's a real scrapper from what I can remember.  No idea what he is like going forward though.  

Has been injured 2 of the past 3 seasons best I can tell but other than that he's had a fairly injury free career.  No idea if this is a good move but ultimately I think we just have to trust Robson on this one.  

58 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

I reckon Devlin's just the type of player we should be signing. A better player from another premier league club, within budget and can do a job. His age isn't ideal but given we need quite a few players this summer - especially in his position - then I think it's a good move. You wouldn't necessarily want a team full of "best of the rest" type players but a handful, mixed in with well scouted signing from abroad such as Duk and Miovski and promising youth of our own and I think we'd be on the right track.

Agree with this. With the volume of players coming in, a couple that are as close to known quantities as possible would be good. He's a very low risk signing, an upgrade on Kennedy and Richardson. He's an actual right back too, which leaves the option of switching to a back four if necessary, where he should be comfortable. He's got two goals and four assists (zero sending offs) this season, which is significantly better than McRorie. He'd do fine.

Will go against the grain on Devlin. Bang average player in my opinion. Better than Richardson but not as good as McCrorie. If he is coming in as a squad filler then fair enough but not convinced if he is to be first choice.