Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next manager

6 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I've never been convinced of the "commands respect" thing. The evidence doesn't really bear it out, with some of the best players in the world being horseshit managers. John Collins being a prime example of someone extremely similar to Lambert. It's really something that has to be maintained too, it'll wear off pretty quickly when you're in and around the place daily and everyone can see that you're an uninspiring dullard, which is the vibe I've always got from Lambert (I could be completely wrong of course, it's just the way he comes across on telly). I certainly don't think he's unlikeable, he seems nice enough. Without question, he'd be an old firm panderer, far more than McInnes ever was - and probably even McGhee. He will literally see Scottish fitba through the lens of the scum, which is why I wouldn't want him. I'd definitely have haardon's foreigner suggestions over him.

Yeah, a hun who grew up to pay for the tims. With two years of relative and certainly easily financially achievable "success" out of about 16 years in total in management. 

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Aye, thanks Charlie. 

Whilst I know you're only being tongue in cheek, it's this sort of shite fae wanker pundits like Nicholas that really grates. His only rationale being that it "shows ambition". An entirely meaningless, nebulous buzz phrase. It's a product of idiots like him for the last thirty years being allowed to spurt useless pish out of his arse without anyone ever asking him to explain himself in detail and with evidence to back up his moronic points. It's fucking toxic, and it doesn't just happen in football unfortunately, a quick glance at question time confirms it. 

How does solskjaer fit into Aberdeen's strategy? How does employing a man well outwith our budget effect the playing budget? What does "showing ambition" even mean, and how does it relate to OGS, or Aberdeen in general? What qualities does he bring that are relevant to a team in Aberdeen's position and budget? How does any of his Man utd experience relate to managing Aberdeen? I could think of another million questions that Nicholas hasn't bothered with when he spews forth his bullshit. 

The worrying thing is that people actually repeat his shite. They apply zero critical thinking and regurgitate this "show ambition" bollocks. It then leads to a situation where no manager we employ can possibly be good enough based on the ridiculous parameters laid out by Charlie fucking Nicholas, who has zero understanding or involvement in our game and hasn't for years. He should fuck off back to his wanker sky sports studio and shut his hoop.

In my opinion, anyway.

Whist I suspect you are right about being out of our budget I would say Solskjaer’s time at Molde (55% win ratio in both his spells) would mean he does have the relevant experience of managing a team like Aberdeen. From memory (which is by no means reliable) most Norwegian teams operate a similar set up to the one we are trying to put in place so it would not be an alien concept to him. 

ETA: I should say that I am not advocating for Solskjaer to get the job just pointing out that it might not be as outlandish as it first sounds. Just because Charlie is an idiot does not make it a bad idea. Even a broken watch is right twice a day.

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Whist I suspect you are right about being out of our budget I would say Solskjaer’s time at Molde (55% win ratio in both his spells) would mean he does have the relevant experience of managing a team like Aberdeen. From memory (which is by no means reliable) most Norwegian teams operate a similar set up to the one we are trying to put in place so it would not be an alien concept to him. 

ETA: I should say that I am not advocating for Solskjaer to get the job just pointing out that it might not be as outlandish as it first sounds. Just because Charlie is an idiot does not make it a bad idea. Even a broken watch is right twice a day.

Tend to agree with jute here. Ole is not as crazy a suggestion as it sounds. I’m one who doesn’t want the old crap like Adams, lamberts, jack Ross, Goodwin, haven’t heard tommy Wright yet…… we want excitement and intrigue, surely ole brings that.

ole’s been successful with smaller clubs, has world wide contacts, and would make it interesting. Plus if we go down the loan route as we sadly have to do, the ties w man utd and molde for example may help. Every appointment is a gamble, why not this gamble?

1 hour ago, Jute said:

There's no need to suspect I'm right about being out of our budget. He was on ~£7.5M per year at Man Utd (more than 20 times Glass). Our entire turnover was ~£11M. A basic Google search fae Charlie twatface would have confirmed that unless he's willing to take a 95% pay cut (as he's likely still on gardening leave) then he's not relevant to anything ever. "Showing ambition" doesn't involve bankruptcy despite what the Huns might suggest. The fact that he once managed a small team is the equivalent of suggesting Davie Cormack might take a job in accounts at the evening express because he once had a paper round.

And I know you were just humouring the initial suggestion.

44 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Tend to agree with jute here. Ole is not as crazy a suggestion as it sounds. I’m one who doesn’t want the old crap like Adams, lamberts, jack Ross, Goodwin, haven’t heard tommy Wright yet…… we want excitement and intrigue, surely ole brings that.

ole’s been successful with smaller clubs, has world wide contacts, and would make it interesting. Plus if we go down the loan route as we sadly have to do, the ties w man utd and molde for example may help. Every appointment is a gamble, why not this gamble?

Yes it fucking is. It's absolutely batshit fucking mental. It's devoid of any critical thinking. It's just shouting names at the moon. It couldn't be more ridiculous. It certainly isn't a fucking gamble, it's putting your stadium on number 37 at roulette.

Therein lies the problem. You're now saying that you don't want the old crap etc, which is entirely valid. However, when you're placing them alongside the astronomically stupid suggestion of a manager on 20 times the salary of your previous one then quite clearly these options are going to look terrible. If we were being entirely honest then we'd probably admit that even the Knutsen lad will be looking beyond us at the moment. We might be able to offer him a strong salary, but probably not the associated funds to repeat his success, and that's ignoring the fact that he'll likely have set his sights higher than the spfl.

14 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Yes it fucking is. It's absolutely batshit fucking mental. It's devoid of any critical thinking. It's just shouting names at the moon. It couldn't be more ridiculous. It certainly isn't a fucking gamble, it's putting your stadium on number 37 at roulette.

Therein lies the problem. You're now saying that you don't want the old crap etc, which is entirely valid. However, when you're placing them alongside the astronomically stupid suggestion of a manager on 20 times the salary of your previous one then quite clearly these options are going to look terrible. If we were being entirely honest then we'd probably admit that even the Knutsen lad will be looking beyond us at the moment. We might be able to offer him a strong salary, but probably not the associated funds to repeat his success, and that's ignoring the fact that he'll likely have set his sights higher than the spfl.

Help me here. We all do a good job of slamming every single suggestion, then who? Not experienced enough, journeyman, Glass and no experience then Ole as too experienced/out of our league. We don't wnat Scottish and narrow minded yet we don't want a foreigner. If you don't ask is all I am saying, much like the suggestion with Knutsen yesterday.

I for one, and this is pretty much irrelevant and totally different era and different money, would never have believed we'd sign Charlie Nicholas but we did. Why not shoot for a manager like that? I also think Knutsen could be seen along the lines of Ebbe, experienced and successful foreigner. Why not?

25 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

I for one, and this is pretty much irrelevant and totally different era and different money, would never have believed we'd sign Charlie Nicholas but we did. Why not shoot for a manager like that? I also think Knutsen could be seen along the lines of Ebbe, experienced and successful foreigner. Why not?

Ebbe was funny but remember how crap we actually were with him in charge?  We finished bottom of the league at one stage.

The issue I have with a manager from overseas is it is so difficult to judge their past successes because we have little knowledge about the leagues they operate in.  People are being suggested based on reading about someone on Wikipedia and at the same time people who have actually won things or reached finals in Scotland or are being totally dismissed. If Callum Davidson was Swedish he would probably be top of the fans wanted list.  Nothing against foreign managers but at provincial clubs in Scotland has it ever worked having one in charge over a sustained period?  It has usually been a total shambles.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Ebbe was funny but remember how crap we actually were with him in charge?  We finished bottom of the league at one stage.

The issue I have with a manager from overseas is it is so difficult to judge their past successes because we have little knowledge about the leagues they operate in.  People are being suggested based on reading about someone on Wikipedia and at the same time people who have actually won things or reached finals in Scotland or are being totally dismissed. If Callum Davidson was Swedish he would probably be top of the fans wanted list.  Nothing against foreign managers but at provincial clubs in Scotland has it ever worked having one in charge over a sustained period?  It has usually been a total shambles.  

Correct, we were shit under Ebbe. I'm just saying that the Knutsen guy may well be seen as the modern day equivalent of Ebbe in experience, qualifications etc. We can look at the Aussie boy at Celtic and get excited about foreign managers, but money certainly helps there with the players he's brought in. Gerrard did well at Rangers but I think he had even less coaching experience than Glass. There is no guarantee of success and every manager is a risk.

25 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

Help me here. We all do a good job of slamming every single suggestion, then who? Not experienced enough, journeyman, Glass and no experience then Ole as too experienced/out of our league. We don't wnat Scottish and narrow minded yet we don't want a foreigner. If you don't ask is all I am saying, much like the suggestion with Knutsen yesterday.

You can't just say "if you don't ask", that's just stupid. A total cop out. I don't have that much time for Cormack, but it's completely unfair on him and the club to put someone like solskjaer in the hat and say "if you don't ask". We aim to have a wage bill no higher than 60% of turnover. OGS on his own would be above that. So no, it's not "you don't ask", it's simply a ridiculous suggestion that we shouldn't even be discussing. 

Knutsen is a different matter, he'd be at the high end of our budget. But we have to also accept that the club will know about him if we do and they'll likely have made an approach if there's any chance of getting him. We all know what type of person Cormack is, he'd love someone like that. It's just that there's a little more to it than simply asking a guy, there has to be a reciprocal desire to be anywhere near the spfl and that likely rules out a large number of foreign managers. We're making it out like the club are picking from a small pool of managers, rather than there being a small pool of managers who we can realistically appoint. Very few people are against foreign managers, we just don't aimlessly choose "foreign" as an attribute that counts for more than ability. It's similar to the folk saying that it needed to be someone "young and hungry" when we appointed Glass as if age has any bearing on managerial ability (it doesn't). 

The reason I don't put forward any foreign managers is because I simply don't know any, other than the obvious ones already mentioned. I can objectively measure someone like Jim Goodwin because I've watched his entire career and seen his improvement. I think that on our budget he'd be a big improvement on Glass. I think he's intelligent and determined. I don't need to be inspired by him, because I'm not likely to be inspired by any manager we can afford to appoint. If we appoint a foreign manager, I'd likely just be ignorant of them rather than inspired. I'd probably get the five minutes of excitement that you get with a new car or sofa, but I'd be brought back down to earth upon drawing with Livingston or some shite. But I'm fine with that. 

I'm also cognisant that the manager is only a part of the puzzle. We have to employ a manager that's in line with our playing budget. A hugely expensive manager with Ojo for company isn't going to fire us into third. We simply wouldn't get good value from our expensive manager. OGS would be like winning the lottery and spending it all on a Van Gogh for yer caravan.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

You can't just say "if you don't ask", that's just stupid. A total cop out. I don't have that much time for Cormack, but it's completely unfair on him and the club to put someone like solskjaer in the hat and say "if you don't ask". We aim to have a wage bill no higher than 60% of turnover. OGS on his own would be above that. So no, it's not "you don't ask", it's simply a ridiculous suggestion that we shouldn't even be discussing. 

Knutsen is a different matter, he'd be at the high end of our budget. But we have to also accept that the club will know about him if we do and they'll likely have made an approach if there's any chance of getting him. We all know what type of person Cormack is, he'd love someone like that. It's just that there's a little more to it than simply asking a guy, there has to be a reciprocal desire to be anywhere near the spfl and that likely rules out a large number of foreign managers. We're making it out like the club are picking from a small pool of managers, rather than there being a small pool of managers who we can realistically appoint. Very few people are against foreign managers, we just don't aimlessly choose "foreign" as an attribute that counts for more than ability. It's similar to the folk saying that it needed to be someone "young and hungry" when we appointed Glass as if age has any bearing on managerial ability (it doesn't). 

The reason I don't put forward any foreign managers is because I simply don't know any, other than the obvious ones already mentioned. I can objectively measure someone like Jim Goodwin because I've watched his entire career and seen his improvement. I think that on our budget he'd be a big improvement on Glass. I think he's intelligent and determined. I don't need to be inspired by him, because I'm not likely to be inspired by any manager we can afford to appoint. If we appoint a foreign manager, I'd likely just be ignorant of them rather than inspired. I'd probably get the five minutes of excitement that you get with a new car or sofa, but I'd be brought back down to earth upon drawing with Livingston or some shite. But I'm fine with that. 

I'm also cognisant that the manager is only a part of the puzzle. We have to employ a manager that's in line with our playing budget. A hugely expensive manager with Ojo for company isn't going to fire us into third. We simply wouldn't get good value from our expensive manager. OGS would be like winning the lottery and spending it all on a Van Gogh for yer caravan.

Honestly, big Dunc would be my choice but he's another I'd say is in the 'if you don't ask' category. I don't see it as stupid, I see it as exploring. Who knows who is interested. Is Klinsmann? I doubt it but he's been US based, maybe Cormack has connection there. You just never know and you are speculating what OGS would want. My comparison with signing Nicholas as a player is the equivalent, I never expected him at Pittodrie. 

What I recall from Ebbe was a man who inherited a team which had been decimated by a combination of poor management, terrible transfers (£850k for Brian O Neil, £300k for Nigel Pepper and several others), and a Board who suddenly made the decision they were in the shit financially so really put the padlock on the transfer kitty.
First season yes we finished bottom of the league but the next season it was 7th, and then after that it was 4th and giving Hertha Berlin a run for their money. 

The guy had won 4 Danish league titles, and 3 danish cups with Brondby (and shown Aitken how to manage in European football), and even had a short spell in charge of Benfica. He had a good record of developing young players (including Anderson, MacNaughton and some donkey called Brian Laudrup).

Ive still got my copy of the Red Final in which he signed a comic strip taking the piss out of him too.

Before Ebbe we had Aitken & Alex Miller (Who gave away Billy Dodds), and after him there was Patterson (who I seem to recall was up against Ian McCall for the role), before finally getting a hint of success with Nichol and Calderwood, then right back down to earth again with McGhee and then Brown.

With the new training facilites and healthier finances I'd say the club is crying out for an Ebbe Skovdahl

Edited by tom_widdows
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LA-Don said:

Honestly, big Dunc would be my choice but he's another I'd say is in the 'if you don't ask' category. I don't see it as stupid, I see it as exploring. Who knows who is interested. Is Klinsmann? I doubt it but he's been US based, maybe Cormack has connection there. You just never know and you are speculating what OGS would want. My comparison with signing Nicholas as a player is the equivalent, I never expected him at Pittodrie. 

It is not the equivalent. Not even in the same stratosphere. Ferguson would have to take a 80% pay cut. We matched Nicholas' wages as that's what we did back then because players weren't paid 63 mortgages a week. If Cormack has spent one minute considering these guys, he's not fit to be chairman.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LA-Don said:

The difference between signing Nicholas as a player in ‘88 and signing Solskjaer as manager now, is Ferguson took a pay cut to go to Manchester Utd 2 years before that, and Solskjaer signed a player for 3 times our turnover to sit on the bench at Manchester Utd 2 years before now. 

Edited by baggy89

1 hour ago, LA-Don said:

Of course money is different now. But I stand by my point, no harm in exploring options. If you don't ask you don't get. What's the worst that can happen?

Because it's fucking stupid. The value added by having a manager taking a 95% pay cut is zero. There'd have to be something very wrong with the guy if he were to accept it, like some serious pending Prince Andrew shit. Or, for example, Mason Greenwood - that's the equivalent in player terms. If our chairman has his head in the clouds with nonsense like that then he's not doing his job, and that is harmful.

2 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Because it's fucking stupid. The value added by having a manager taking a 95% pay cut is zero. There'd have to be something very wrong with the guy if he were to accept it, like some serious pending Prince Andrew shit. Or, for example, Mason Greenwood - that's the equivalent in player terms. If our chairman has his head in the clouds with nonsense like that then he's not doing his job, and that is harmful.

Don’t agree with you at all. Do I think we can sign Ronaldo or Messi even though they are past their prime, no. But approaching an out of work manager, why not? Or someone who may want to blood their management skills for the first time? You want us to only consider ‘realistic’ targets? What does that mean? Goodwin, Adams, maybe john Hughes? is lambert even ‘our league’ to you? Think big. Successful people dream big and shoot for the moon. If it works great, if not at least we tried. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I’m also curious to know who you think is appropriate for us. Given you think  we need to be realistic and not aim too high, you think Goodwin, Adams, Lambert, Ross, or Lennon will be an inspiring signing. To me, while all have had varying degrees of success, they are, to me, like dating your mates ex burd who he just dumped. I’d rather hit on supermodels until one says yes.

And I’ll take it a step further, and feel free to call me stupid, maybe I am. I’m walking away from a six figure job and moving to florida. I want to be happy in life and that’s not happening in LA any more. Prioritizing health, happiness, and family. Don’t have a job yet but things will work out. Not everyone is all about money, people still value opportunity and happiness. Aberdeen is a good city and our club manager is a good job, and maybe a higher profile candidate will see that.

Edited by OrlandoDon
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Or someone who may want to blood their management skills for the first time? 

I take your point about being ambitious Orlando but I hope we don't go down the route of someone who has never managed before, these guys should be making their mistakes further down the food chain before arriving at Pittodrie.  We're better than that.  If we'd even consider someone like Duncan Ferguson or Darren Fletcher then why not just give the job to Barry Robson, Russell Anderson or Scott Brown?  We've done the inexperienced manager and it's made us far worse.

18 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Ole is not as crazy a suggestion as it sounds.

He's a big name (literally), yes, but he was the biggest joke figure at Man Utd.  He spent a horrendous amount of money and still produced a shite team.  Yes, he's managed in the Champions League and he was mince in that too.  Even if we could afford him, what on earth is the attraction?  If he could not make a decent team with a host of international players and a budget which was practically unlimited, why on earth should we be considering him?

Edited by wokinginashearerwonderland
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

I’m also curious to know who you think is appropriate for us. Given you think  we need to be realistic and not aim too high, you think Goodwin, Adams, Lambert, Ross, or Lennon will be an inspiring signing. To me, while all have had varying degrees of success, they are, to me, like dating your mates ex burd who he just dumped. I’d rather hit on supermodels until one says yes.

And I’ll take it a step further, and feel free to call me stupid, maybe I am. I’m walking away from a six figure job and moving to florida. I want to be happy in life and that’s not happening in LA any more. Prioritizing health, happiness, and family. Don’t have a job yet but things will work out. Not everyone is all about money, people still value opportunity and happiness. Aberdeen is a good city and our club manager is a good job, and maybe a higher profile candidate will see that.

Don't be ridiculous, stop doubling down on something so stupid. I've provided you the evidence, and your clearly not stupid, your just defending a crap point. Your situation isn't remotely the same. You're not taking a 95% pay cut for a start. Aberdeen is fantastic if you're an Aberdeen fan from Aberdeen, but nobody on earth thinks that coming to pittodrie to get abused by the Ned shed is some sort of idyllic lifestyle away from the madness of, say, Bournemouth or Everton or wherever else a former Man Utd manager goes next. The problem with these ridiculous shouts for people on 70% of our turnover is that they automatically make the guys within our budget look shite.

I've laid out my position several times. Of the managers I know a lot about, Goodwin sticks out as the best in my opinion. Of the managers I know nothing about, the guy Knutsen seems to be the stand out. I do expect data Dave to have enquired about both of these managers because if we're on a message board having heard of him, then a club looking for a manager will have heard of him. I'm absolutely certain (especially as it hasn't been that long since we last looked) there are lots of other managers out there that the club will have thought about that I haven't even heard of. 

I've stated already that being "inspired" by a manager isn't a requirement for me. Just as I wasn't inspired by signing Scott Brown, and haven't been inspired by any signing we've made since football turned into money ball. You seem to be conflating inspiring with "unheard of" or "different", but for me that's just intriguing. Skovdahl was intriguing, not inspiring. Besuijen, Ramirez were intriguing, not inspiring, but neither so far better than obvious good, solid signings like Shinnie or McLean. The moment we move into inspiring manager choices is the moment our club is bought by a Saudi billionaire and ruined beyond imagination.

20 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I take your point about being ambitious Orlando but I hope we don't go down the route of someone who has never managed before, these guys should be making their mistakes further down the food chain before arriving at Pittodrie.  We're better than that.  If we'd even consider someone like Duncan Ferguson or Darren Fletcher then why not just give the job to Barry Robson, Russell Anderson or Scott Brown?  We've done the inexperienced manager and it's made us far worse.

He's a big name (literally), yes, but he was the biggest joke figure at Man Utd.  He spent a horrendous amount of money and still produced a shite team.  Yes, he's managed in the Champions League and he was mince in that too.  Even if we could afford him, what on earth is the attraction?  If he could not make a decent team with a host of international players and a budget which was practically unlimited, why on earth should we be considering him?

It's stupid to even get into hypotheticals about a guy on 70% of our turnover. We might as well be talking about getting Fergie out of retirement with the "if you don't ask" chat. 

There is a wider point on how much we should actually pay our manager in relation to our turnover. I'm guessing we'd go up to £500K for the right guy. Rumours were that McInnes was on more than that, but I'd tend not to believe those (and if true, were likely heavily performance based). Beyond that, I'm not convinced we're really getting value for money, and it would be affecting the playing budget. In our position, recruitment is easily as important as the manager as we've seen and so the extra money spent on a manager doesn't add the same value as it might in recruitment. I'm not convinced that upping our manager budget from £500k to £1M would be massively advantageous. I'm guessing a more expensive manager would require a concomitant (traynor) rise in playing budget, which we couldn't sustain.

In terms of guys like Knutsen, there is a wider issue. The game is so global these days that he simply doesn't need someone like the dons coming in to offer him a "stepping stone" to England (the holy grail). He's already high profile and will be on the radar of teams down South (or across Europe). If anything, Aberdeen might be a backward step. He'll look at a team like the dons and see an obvious ceiling that doesn't exist in his own country and recognise its not in his best interests. We'd have to offer him a huge wage, which then won't give us good value. I'm guessing he could already command a £1-2M salary at least at a Huddersfield or some pish. Would we really get 3-4 times better value over someone like Goodwin? 

I think our strategy of addressing the other areas in the club to give the manager (any manager) the best chance of success is a much better way to add value. Recruitment and youth development are far bigger factors than a manager in my opinion. That's not to say a manager isn't important, but the aim should be strong and competent, rather than inspiring, big name or expensive.