Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Next manager

23 minutes ago, Panda said:

And what's so ambitious about the three guys you've touted, aside from the fact they're foreign?

What's Pedro Caixinha doing these days?

Lopez:

he led the Granotes to their first Copa del Rey semi-final after defeating Villarreal in the last minute of extra time;[18] they lost that tie 3–2 on aggregate to Athletic Bilbao, again after extra time.[19]

On 4 October 2021, López was fired, having earned only four points from as many draws at the start of the season. He had managed a club record 133 top-flight games, and had a lower losses percentage in the division than any other Levante manager bar Joaquín Caparrós.[

Diego Martinez:

He later managed Osasuna and Granada, achieving promotion to La Liga with the latter.

Labbadia:

he's free😅

2 of those are better than Goodwin.

13 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

Lopez:

he led the Granotes to their first Copa del Rey semi-final after defeating Villarreal in the last minute of extra time;[18] they lost that tie 3–2 on aggregate to Athletic Bilbao, again after extra time.[19]

On 4 October 2021, López was fired, having earned only four points from as many draws at the start of the season. He had managed a club record 133 top-flight games, and had a lower losses percentage in the division than any other Levante manager bar Joaquín Caparrós.[

Diego Martinez:

He later managed Osasuna and Granada, achieving promotion to La Liga with the latter.

Labbadia:

he's free😅

2 of those are better than Goodwin.

What am I missing here? Some guy made a semi-final, one guy won promotion from a lower league. 

Hold me back.

• Confused 1

If we appoint Jack Ross, it would be as disheartening as it was when we appointed Alex Miller. He reminds me a lot of him - dour in interviews, no real coherent plan with Hibs, showed a bit of promise as a younger manager but hasn't progressed into anything other than very ordinary.

Give us something to be excited about Cormack? Fuck it, let HaarDon pick the next boss.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be pissed off with Goodwin being appointed, like the cut of his jib and all that, but its not a set the Heather alight appointment either.  

It's actually really interesting to see what cormack goes with now. We have nothing to reference from really. I mean, sure he binned DM but he never appointed him either. Glass was his guy. His guy whom he's dispatched fairly ruthlessly, and, if we are to believe press reports, had wanted to earlier but had given more time after a plea from the players. 

So yeah, interesting to see who cormack goes for.  Often is the case that chairman go for a safe option after a big experiment and someone well versed in the league like Goodwin and Ross would defo fit that bill.  Not so sure cormacks ego will allow for that though.... He wants to be seen as dynamic and ground breaking and I wouldn't be at all surprised if goes for another left field appointment. 

Happy with Robson in the interim.  I like the cut of his jib too. 

Edited by tlg1903

I thought we should have gone for McInnes while Calderwood was still here. I felt last year we should have gone for Goodwin. Think I had Ross in mind while McInnes was flirting with the Huns.

In much the same way we should try to sign young players on an upward trajectory who know the league. As a club we have to be pragmatic. While we can fantasise about finding another Ferguson, it’s even less likely than me winning the Euromillions.

We wait too long and anyone with a modicum of talent goes to Championship/League 1. Such is the state of Scottish football. Seems to me the English are willing to take those chances. 

Cormack has said he wants us to be a top 100 club. There are 2 ways to do that nowadays, oligarch level funding or sustained improvement over a number of years.  We won’t get everything right all the time but appointments like this are what we should be making.

Fuck all point bringing in someone who has won something and is now on a downward curve living on payoffs for phoning in a managerial career. 

Equally, no point In bringing in managers like Skovdahl and then not being able to support them with the funding required to recreate that success. 

Let’s not forget that Goodwin is a foreign manager, one from a country where there is more youth players than anywhere else in Northern Europe per head of capita (IIRC) the same country also has an excellent record of players moving to this country and being a success. 

As most on here know I go to Cheltenham games down here. Michael Duff is on an upward trajectory and I would say a very highly thought of manager. BUT he knows (as far as I am aware) nothing about Scottish Football. Oh and the suggestions I’ve seen on Twitter for Grant McCann can go in the bin. Was one of my favourite Cheltenham players, but turned out he is the worst kind of northern Irish huns. 

7 hours ago, Panda said:

Yeh, and I explained my reasons for Goodwin.

Yours is "they're foreign" and "once made a semi-final".

So a cup semi final and top 6.

Cool.

Let's get him appointed quickly so we can remain mediocre as fuck STILL.

YIPPEEEEEEE

Even McInnes was far better than that or do you enjoy stepping backwards?

What a pish, lazy appointment Goodwin would be.

Might be wrong but ever since Cormack arrived his big idea has been to develop links with the US so I can't see him abandoning that now and going for a middle of the road Goodwin/Ross type manager. Celtic have effectively done what we were trying to do with Japan and it's been successful so Cormack might think he still has the right idea by focusing on the US and just picked the wrong manager.

If we actually appointed a decent American coach I'd be all for it. Ramirez has been a success and just about every American player wants to make it to the Premier League so you could sell them on the idea we're some kind of stepping stone to England.

2 hours ago, HaarDon said:

So a cup semi final and top 6.

Cool.

Let's get him appointed quickly so we can remain mediocre as fuck STILL.

YIPPEEEEEEE

Even McInnes was far better than that or do you enjoy stepping backwards?

What a pish, lazy appointment Goodwin would be.

It's actually two cup semi-finals.

And as someone else pointed out, technically he's foreign.

You're won over now aren't you? I'll send you my PayPal details so we can get the Goodwin flag ready for his appointment.

B34E7B6E-BBA4-459E-A76C-BE74C55E1765.jpeg

Edited by Panda

Said this last time we were looking for a manager and the same applies this time around, why on earth are we needing an interim appointment?  This sacking has hardly come out of the blue, Cormack must have been pondering it for weeks.  Surely he should have been doing the spade work before now and had someone ready to just walk in the door.  You don't need to have fired the guy before you starting talking to others on the quiet, I don't think anyone is naive enough to think it doesn't happen in other clubs so why are we so different?  Villa fired Dean Smith and his seat was hardly cold before Stevie G was in there.

19 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Said this last time we were looking for a manager and the same applies this time around, why on earth are we needing an interim appointment?  This sacking has hardly come out of the blue, Cormack must have been pondering it for weeks.  Surely he should have been doing the spade work before now and had someone ready to just walk in the door.  You don't need to have fired the guy before you starting talking to others on the quiet, I don't think anyone is naive enough to think it doesn't happen in other clubs so why are we so different?  Villa fired Dean Smith and his seat was hardly cold before Stevie G was in there.

Could be a couple of reasons. We clearly had Glass lined up, but it still took a few weeks to get it over the line. I'm guessing that if someone spectacularly good showed an interest, Cormack might change his mind. Things might come up at interview that weren't apparent during any sounding out process. Any approaches made to managers in current employment would necessarily be limited and of little substance: "would you be interested" type stuff. There's no certainty to it anyway. You certainly won't get CVs through the door until the vacancy arises.

For my perspective, I'm concerned that we don't have the building blocks in place for any new manager, like we didn't for Glass. The club is trying to implement a strategy that transcends the manager and I personally think it's very important that is continued despite Glass' failure. The concern is that if we haven't got to grips with that strategy that we could either get a manager in without the required support (as we did Glass) resulting in failure, or that we get a manager in who is given too much responsibility (McInnes) because he sees areas that he can control, making it difficult to relieve him of that control and taking us back to where we were when McInnes left. In that situation, I see no harm in taking someone in until the end of the season, whether that be Robson or even a Jack Ross type looking for our employment (on our terms, obviously).

7 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

You certainly won't get CVs through the door until the vacancy arises.

Does that even really happen though Rico?  Not saying it wouldn't at a club like Keith, Deveronvale or Cove but at a higher profile club like ours is there really normally a proper recruitment/interview/selection prawcess?  Unless we throw in a real curve ball appointment, the people at Pittodrie must know who they want and could just go out and approach someone.  I'm sure that must happen at most clubs.  Did the Huns wait until a flood of CVs came through the door before approaching Van Bronkhorst, I doubt it.  I'd be surprised if we have ever appointed a manager after he sent us a CV. 

12 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

For my perspective, I'm concerned that we don't have the building blocks in place for any new manager, like we didn't for Glass. The club is trying to implement a strategy that transcends the manager and I personally think it's very important that is continued despite Glass' failure. The concern is that if we haven't got to grips with that strategy that we could either get a manager in without the required support (as we did Glass) resulting in failure, or that we get a manager in who is given too much responsibility (McInnes) because he sees areas that he can control, making it difficult to relieve him of that control and taking us back to where we were when McInnes left. 

I take your points above but think you are massively over complicating the whole thing.  We have, some may disagree, a decent squad of players, most of whom have played international football of some description.  There is not a massive recruitment job needed, we are unlikely to be relegated this season, the club is on a decent financial footing, we have a new training ground.  Get someone in who knows what they are doing and just crack on.  We've mucked about too long and gone out of the last three domestic cup competitions with a whimper.  All this director of football, recruitment manager stuff is just smoke and mirrors.  We're not Man Utd or Bayern Munich, we just need someone to coach the players and pick a team on a Saturday.

8 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Does that even really happen though Rico?  Not saying it wouldn't at a club like Keith, Deveronvale or Cove but at a higher profile club like ours is there really normally a proper recruitment/interview/selection prawcess?  Unless we throw in a real curve ball appointment, the people at Pittodrie must know who they want and could just go out and approach someone.  I'm sure that must happen at most clubs.  Did the Huns wait until a flood of CVs came through the door before approaching Van Bronkhorst, I doubt it.  I'd be surprised if we have ever appointed a manager after he sent us a CV.

I don't think CVs come through the door as such, no, but we will get people applying for the job that we might not have thought of or considered. There might also be people who we might not want to have contacted whilst the manager was still here. I think the huns probably sounded out Van Bronkhorst, but it still took a few weeks and they did - apparently - interview other applicants. A more applicable one would be when they sacked the previous guy. They didn't contact McInnes until the job was available it seems, as he didn't end up going there. For good reason too. If we had sounded out Goodwin a couple of weeks back, for example, and then Glass had gone on to win the cup game and the subsequent two fixtures, what would have happened? A rival knowing that your manager is close to being punted, a quick leak to the press ahead of the next fixture that the dons were fishing. It's not a great position to be in. For someone outwith your own league, that's not such an issue of course. I'd like to think that the club will have a number of targets in mind with a preferred option like they would any other signing. To be honest, I'd even hope that we don't get our first choices because we're pushing the boundaries of what we think we can get for our money/profile.

21 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I take your points above but think you are massively over complicating the whole thing.  We have, some may disagree, a decent squad of players, most of whom have played international football of some description.  There is not a massive recruitment job needed, we are unlikely to be relegated this season, the club is on a decent financial footing, we have a new training ground.  Get someone in who knows what they are doing and just crack on.  We've mucked about too long and gone out of the last three domestic cup competitions with a whimper.  All this director of football, recruitment manager stuff is just smoke and mirrors.  We're not Man Utd or Bayern Munich, we just need someone to coach the players and pick a team on a Saturday.

But we don't just need someone to coach the players and pick a team on a Saturday, that's the point. We can either have McInnes, who coached, picked the team, arranged the sports science team, led the recruitment process, signed players from rivals and selected the youth team coaches (and likely had a large say on where players went on loan), or we can have Glass who coached the players and picked the team (but was scandalously left to do the other stuff for the first half of his tenure). It could all be smoke and mirrors of course, but it absolutely shouldn't be, and I'm assuming that the club's strategy is for it not to be. The aim, I assume, is to build something better than we had when McInnes was here. We get the results on the pitch, plus we narrow down each area where he failed and we become the best we can be in those fields. The two glaring deficiencies being recruitment and youth pathway to the first team. Those areas were deficient because they were under the control of the manager, and because they were ripped up and rebuilt under each manager previously. The margins between success and failure for Aberdeen are paper thin, and if you can exert a bit of control and consistency in a large part of the business, you stand a much better chance. The alternative is to yo-yo around between managers like Hibs (until now, perhaps) and us previously and hope that we get the next Fergie. The market we shop in for both players and managers isn't going to get us that though, so we need the upper hand in the other disciplines to make Goodwin the best Goodwin he can possibly be.

I'll probably come in for some stick, nothing I am not used too 😂 but I'll bump the gums again for big Duncan Ferguson!

There are many reasons for this, and some reasons against it ( I'll get on to them further in the post ) 

Reasons FOR - Someone you'd want to play for, no nonsense, aggressive and Players would leave everything out on the pitch in each and every single game, the lack of fight we show, and have done for years, is something he simply wouldn't allow, been far too many insipid cowardly performances for some time and I think his no nonsense attitude is something glaringly lacking from modern Football. His work with Youth as well, he's been directly involved in the likes of Calvert-Lewin, Coleman, Gordon, Kenny, Holgate, Davies etc...progression to the 1st Team Squad, all who have played a good number of games as I am sure you're aware. People he's worked under, okay for various reasons it's not gone well, but he's learning from the likes of Ancelotti, Moyes, Benitez etc... too, that has got to count for something when he does eventually go off on his own into Management. 

Reasons AGAINST - Granted, people may say we couldn't afford him, he's also inexperienced as the main man for any length of time and he may not want to work up here, his Family are all settled in Liverpool. 

All I know is, he 100% wants to be a Manager, I think this would be a fantastic opportunity for him to come up here and cut his managerial teeth, there is realistic opportunities to qualify for Europe, progress ( hopefully win )  in both Domestic Cup Competitions and get as close to, preferably challenge, Celtic & Rangers with much lesser resources. I genuinely feel we should at least present it to him. 

Please no to the likes of Jack Ross & Neil Lennon etc.....

2 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

Just saw David Robertson suggested. Genuinely curious as to how that would go down with the support

It would probably result in heads exploding. Exactly the type of manager that certain folk in our support would love (a thick shouty sweary fucker), but also a judas cunt. What a dilemma. He's a character, that's for sure. I think the club should remain completely silent about the whole situation until 1st April then announce it for a laugh. Would be a good build up.