Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next manager

9 minutes ago, LightbulbMoment2021 said:

Robbie Fowler for me as next manager . Him or micheal Carrick or both 

Are you holding down the enter key after every post?

Fowler seems to throw his name into the hat for every possible job. It seems strange that nobody outside of Asia has given him an opportunity. I think he'd be better placed in the lower English leagues and working upward from there. 

Carrick would be a better shout if we hadn't just employed a manager with zero experience. I doubt Cormack would want to take that risk again. To be honest, I've got little desire to sign a big name ex player from down South, there seems to be little evidence that any of them are any good or that there's any link whatsoever between being a good player and manager. 

I was hoping we'd actually see someone in the frame that we'd never heard of. I'm surprised that there wasn't a name from the US thrown in. I think he'll have made his decision already though and it's likely between Ross and Goodwin.

• Like 1

I do like Aberdeen's strategy here of interviewing Jack Ross, which means we'll pretty much accept anyone to avoid having him announced as boss.

In the same way he's announcing a 16,000 capacity stadium so that we'll all be happy with a 17,000 capacity one.

Well played Dave.

I would much rather someone like Paul Lambert. He has the experience of playing and managing at a very high level. Jim Goodwin has not played at or managed a big club. I know we are not Celtic, Rangers or Liverpool etc. But in Scottish terms, we are way above St. Mirren  and Alloa. I don't mean that as a disrespectful comment to them. They may be better than us this season but they have nowhere near the same fan base and there is not the same level of pressure to win every week. Goodwin will not be used to dealing with that. I think that is why managers that have played at top clubs often do well at bigger clubs, they are used to the pressure involved. We need a steady the ship appointment in my opinion. I would argue that Jack Ross would be better as he has at least played and managed at a higher level.

Whoever they decide on, they will have my support! Stand Free!

36 minutes ago, Chris Frae Killie said:

I would much rather someone like Paul Lambert. He has the experience of playing and managing at a very high level. Jim Goodwin has not played at or managed a big club. I know we are not Celtic, Rangers or Liverpool etc. But in Scottish terms, we are way above St. Mirren  and Alloa. I don't mean that as a disrespectful comment to them. They may be better than us this season but they have nowhere near the same fan base and there is not the same level of pressure to win every week. Goodwin will not be used to dealing with that. I think that is why managers that have played at top clubs often do well at bigger clubs, they are used to the pressure involved. We need a steady the ship appointment in my opinion. I would argue that Jack Ross would be better as he has at least played and managed at a higher level.

I'd add to that. Someone who has won something, managed in European competition, plus with their experience has a relatively extensive contact list for potential transfers. Glass was blasted for inexperience, but he'd at least experienced playing for us, winning with us, playing and scoring in Europe with us, playing for big clubs in England under people like Bobby Robson and Gianliuca Viali. Even coaching in Ireland and the states learning the trade and gathering contacts. Fair to say that's how we got Ramirez. I just don't see what Goodwin really offers other than coached in the Scottish league before, and, to me, he's flavor of the month like Tommy Wright, Callum Davidson, and Stephen Robinson have been.

1 hour ago, Chris Frae Killie said:

I'd love to see any evidence for this (genuinely, I'm not criticising). There are a hell of a lot of good footballers who made poor managers and a hell of a lot of shite players that made good managers. To the extent that I'd say there is zero link whatsoever. Absolutely none.

Neither of us has the data obviously, so it's just speculation. I'd say that success has far more to do with personality (of the manager) and management competence rather than footballing ability. Footballing ability is something that you gain at a far younger age than management skills, I just can't see how it's relevant. A will to win is great, but if you don't have the ability to pass that on to others it can probably be quite frustrating. Lambert strikes me as the type who doesn't have the charisma or intelligence to get a point across that people would listen to. John Collins proved that wanking around showing off yer six pack telling folk that you were the fittest player at Monaco is no substitute for actual management abilities - you just wouldn't take the nasally dickhead seriously.

I agree with LA Don that prior experience of winning things would be preferable, but I don't see it as essential. As an average player, Goodwin captained St Mirren to cup success, which is fairly impressive (and was regularly championed on various Dons forums as a "winner" that we should look to sign). He was managed by Danny Lennon that day, who is one of numerous examples of managers who have won something that are not that good at managing football teams. Alan Stubbs, Peter Houston, Tommy Wright too. There's a little luck involved in cup wins in Scotland, with no chance of league success.

• Like 1

I would defo rather Goodwin over lambert.  He's been guff since his heydey at Norwich.  

Truthfully Rico I don't recall too much mention of Goodwin as someone we should target back in the day but I did always have a grudging respect for him.  As limited as he was as a player he was always a nightmare to play against.  

45 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

I would defo rather Goodwin over lambert.  He's been guff since his heydey at Norwich.  

Truthfully Rico I don't recall too much mention of Goodwin as someone we should target back in the day but I did always have a grudging respect for him.  As limited as he was as a player he was always a nightmare to play against.  

Aye, I was in Dons mad back when he was playing and it was fairly regular to suggest Goodwin because we needed someone hard in midfield. Draper was the one in a similar vein that got plenty mentions on here. Two limited footballers who could kick people. I remember Hayes playing in centre mid one time against St Mirren due to injuries and he absolutely roasted Goodwin the entire game, who couldn't catch him to kick him. Hopefully he'll have forgotten about it.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

Ooooo, just realised if it's Goodwin this is the first manager that will be younger than me..... 

He's five days older than me, which is unsettling. I already refuse to accept the entire playing squad are younger than me now.

• Haha 1

Scott Brown - I'd be gutted if he left.

Think there's still a good player there, a strong captain, and he'll be a huge loss.

Also think it's fair too early for him to be thinking of becoming a manager. But, if it does happen, does Glass go there as assistant? 

• Like 2