Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next manager

Is it too soon to bring this thread back? 👀 

Absolutely not to Jack Ross and Neil Lennon.

Want a bit more ambition than Stephen Robinson and David Martindale.

No, Derek McInnes is not going to recreate his early days with Aberdeen. His time has been and gone. 

Steve Clarke I don't think would be interested before he's had the chance to get Scotland to another major championship. And I'm not overly enamoured with him anyway. I think he does okay for Scotland but could do better with the squad he has there. And by fuck he's boring in interviews.

The Cowley brothers were apparently interviewed before. Can't say I'm an expert on what went wrong for them at Portsmouth, but the consensus was they relied too heavily on loans and injury prone players - a bit McInnes-esq perhaps. Still, the avalanche of goodwill messages Pompey fans have given them suggests they left a mark there and I actually wouldn't be against seeing what they can do. In relative terms, our budget in Scottish football is bigger than Portsmouth in English football (in that we're the third biggest here) so less loans and a young talented team to work with might suit them.

But, Ole Gunnar Solksjaer for the win.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Panda said:

But, Ole Gunnar Solksjaer for the win.

Apart from being utterly shite at Cardiff and Man Utd, what you seein in Solskjaer?  At least Goodwin showed promise of maybe becoming a good manager whilst at his previous clubs but Solskjaer?  or are you just going on the premise of he is foreign so he will be superb or R U just taking the piss by suggesting him? 😉

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Apart from being utterly shite at Cardiff and Man Utd, what you seein in Solskjaer?  At least Goodwin showed promise of maybe becoming a good manager whilst at his previous clubs but Solskjaer?  or are you just going on the premise of he is foreign so he will be superb or R U just taking the piss by suggesting him? 😉

He did very well at Molde to be fair.

Won the league in his first season (they had been 11th the previous season), and then won it the following season too.

In his second spell he did well in Europe, and took them from sixth to two consecutive second place finishes.

I can't say I paid attention to what he did at Cardiff, but Man Utd just seemed a huge task for anyone.

We're not going to get a Kjel Knutsen. It's a manager in Scotland looking to make a step up, or someone who has a mixed record.

36 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

Malky MacKay toxic? What about Owen Coyle if we're looking at managers in Scotland?

You posted this on another thread and I presumed you were joking, but now you've posted it twice I fear you might actually be serious.

Owen Coyle? Who had an 18% win record at Ross County?

Winning in India and in the Scottish Championship is not nearly enough to get him on Aberdeen's radar.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

You posted this on another thread and I presumed you were joking, but now you've posted it twice I fear you might actually be serious.

Owen Coyle? Who had an 18% win record at Ross County?

Winning in India and in the Scottish Championship is not nearly enough to get him on Aberdeen's radar.

And he's a cunt.  No thanks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, manc_don said:

All the names on the list and those mentioned (Mackay and Coyle) can get in the bin. Fuck that. Would find it incredibly hard to get behind the club if any of those mongrels were appointed.

The only one on the list that has actually impressed me in recent times (lennon did well with hibs 2bf) with his managerial ability is Martindale. Not advocating him by any stretch but he has done brilliant things at livi. So hard to beat and he has them playing decent football too.  If it wasn't for his drug dealing past he would have moved on to bigger and better things by now for sure. 

26 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

The only one on the list that has actually impressed me in recent times (lennon did well with hibs 2bf) with his managerial ability is Martindale. Not advocating him by any stretch but he has done brilliant things at livi. So hard to beat and he has them playing decent football too.  If it wasn't for his drug dealing past he would have moved on to bigger and better things by now for sure. 

Agreed. I just couldn’t stomach it I don’t think. He irks me.

The Nix’s manager would be a good one but I think he may need to try out Asia before going to Europe. Or at least the same pathway as Ange. Aussie, with Turkish descendants,  not afraid to try things but he does take a time to make subs sometimes which is infuriating. Has had to do an incredible job with a team that was in essence, away from home for two seasons. Has found plenty of spots for youth as well as some hidden foreign gems. That’s said, I don’t want him leaving the nix but I think it’s inevitable.

7 hours ago, Panda said:

Did he though?

He got them promoted from the Championship (to be expected), lost a few semi-finals, and by the time he quit they were eighth.

Well enough that hibs fans still think of him fondly though, I concede, the airplane celebration may play a part in that. 

Hands up, Coyle was maybe a slightly ridiculous shout but after the failures of Glass and (so far) Goodwin, I don’t think Cormack or the rest of our board have the wherewithal to pick and up and coming manager. I’d rather we go after someone who - much like mcinnes when we got him - has a decent track record but maybe something to prove. Getting someone like that to come in and report to Gunn might be an issue right enough.

McInnes record wasnt that much greater than Goodwins was it? There was a fair amount of 'meh' at his appt.He already had the bones of a good side,and found(initially) players that fitted in well.Personally think he was quite lucky with initial recruitment, as we never quite managed to source players that fitted in as well as Flood and Robson.,despite finding a high level of players.

Don't think McInnes was much more of a tactical genius than Goodwin either.His strengths were attracting a good standard of player,within a good club atmosphere,which along with modest tactical knowledge was more often than not,enough to keep us ticking along nicely.

Goodwins had tougher circumstances. But,the recruitments arguably better.Were about 2/3 of the way there squad wise,but the areas that he didn't(maybe wasn't able to) address are why its gone to pot frequently this season. So should we turn a blind eye to it for now, give him more breathing space.or start with someone else again??

PS.I don't know

Edited by Elgindon

2 hours ago, Elgindon said:

McInnes record wasnt that much greater than Goodwins was it? There was a fair amount of 'meh' at his appt.He already had the bones of a good side,and found(initially) players that fitted in well.Personally think he was quite lucky with initial recruitment, as we never quite managed to source players that fitted in as well as Flood and Robson.,despite finding a high level of players.

Don't think McInnes was much more of a tactical genius than Goodwin either.His strengths were attracting a good standard of player,within a good club atmosphere,which along with modest tactical knowledge was more often than not,enough to keep us ticking along nicely.

Goodwins had tougher circumstances. But,the recruitments arguably better.Were about 2/3 of the way there squad wise,but the areas that he didn't(maybe wasn't able to) address are why its gone to pot frequently this season. So should we turn a blind eye to it for now, give him more breathing space.or start with someone else again??

PS.I don't know

I think sometimes you just don't know how good a manager is until he's your manager and you're assessing him every week.

McInnes I thought was a very good motivator and his training appeared to be pretty good. Those were two factors which put him above Goodwin and at least help mask those areas he wasn't great in.

Goodwin is struggling to show any real positives about him.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2023 at 19:48, BigAl said:

Whilst I have scoffed at the apperent bookies favourites in the Jim Goodwin topic, until such time as we are officially seeking a new manager, I have fuck all to say on this subject as it is frankly irrelevant.

Until then, come on Jimbo 👍

See you in 45 minutes.

• Haha 1

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer. Get him in before Saturday.

Danny Cowley though intrigues me, and I tend to think he's probably still on Cormack's radar.

All the other names mentioned so far are a nonsense.

But it's more than just the manager. The coaching structure needs overhauled. Glass tried to do it but lasted less than a season. Goodwin, Sharp & Samson is such a depressing team.

7 hours ago, Panda said:

But it's more than just the manager. The coaching structure needs overhauled. Glass tried to do it but lasted less than a season. Goodwin, Sharp & Samson is such a depressing team

In fairness, the coaching team is almost always coming in with the manager, and out too. Last season's coaching team was strange. There was a suggestion that they were compiled and employed by the club, in the same way that our recruitment team was (unaffiliated and unaffected by change in manager). However, when it came down to it, they were all punted with Glass. That seemed strange to me, and they were gone before Goodwin had a chance to assess them (Brown aside, who was a signed player). We went back to the model of signing a manager and coaches as a package with Goodwin, and there will be no reason to keep them (with us out of the cup, we won't need Samson as sub goalie either).

Robson strikes me as extremely tactically naive, but I'd give it to him for the rest of the season, save us making another massive fuck up quite so soon. 

I actually don't care that much. Goodwin seemed like a good guy, a strong character with a lot of discipline. He threw that away almost immediately, and he couldn't back it up. I don't really like any of the players at the club aside from Johnny Hayes, which is what happens when you ditch every single player I suppose. I'm not remotely excited by the new manager or our band of foreigners.