Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next manager

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Good stuff. An experienced bloke to help Robson suggests it might be with a view to a permanent position. That experience was certainly missing the last couple of times he was involved in the caretaker role.

If it works out great, but jury is still out on whether he has it just yet. Certainly hasn't set the heather alight when he's been the caretaker role previously. Appreciate it was unlikely that a change in style of play would have been witnessed, but still. Hopefully that changes this time round.

From my understanding we can rule out Neil Lennon. 

Chris Wilder linked by the Record. It smacks to me of a wee pay day for him before he gets a job back in England, and we'd end up spunking most of our transfer budget on his salary. Not that enthused by it to be honest. 

Agnew joining the coaching staff suggests Robson might actually get a few months at this to show what he can do. What is it - once they've managed 12 games it's considered permanent?

Kinda interested to see how Robson does actually. Six points out of six this week before outfoxing Ange at Celtic Park, that would be a decent start.

Certainly, Robson until end of March, and if it's still ropey we begin looking for someone to take over in summer, wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

Martindale has pretty much ruled himself out. He would've been one that could've steadied the ship whilst not playing attractive stuff. We need results before we even bother about looking fancy.

Wonder if Craig Brown fancies doing another settling job for a few months ... although at 82 years old this job could kill him 

There is an incredible lack of foresight by the board on this, stretching right back to when McInnes was fired in March 2021.  Anyone with half a brain could see that the McInnes era was coming to a close and suspected that Cormack wanted his own man in.  In the lead up to that surely you would have thought the board would have earmarked who they wanted instead of having to go through the shit show that was the Glass interview process.  It took a month and a half to get Glass in the door for his first game therefore we effectively wrote off the Scottish cup that season and the end of the league campaign.

The same has happened again.  It must have been pretty clear a month ago that Goodwin was going to be fired at some stage so why are we now content to wait months to appoint a replacement?  Again, they could have identified who they wanted weeks ago and assuming it is someone unemployed, just get the guy in place.  We are writing off the season half way through just due to a lack of planning.  Fans who have paid hundreds for a season ticket are going to watch a team and manager who are not really bothered for the rest of the season.  It's poor.

Of the names on the bookies list, I'd break the bank to convince Lennon to come.  He's the only one proven himself to win stuff in this league and has the broad shoulders to deal with the crap that comes with the job.  He would command a bit of respect from all at the club for what he has done in the game which in my view Glass and Goodwin did not.  He also tries to play an entertaining style and also, it would never be dull. 😉

12 hours ago, Panda said:

Certainly, Robson until end of March, and if it's still ropey we begin looking for someone to take over in summer, wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

That's just a bizarre viewpoint that I cannot get my head around and from what I am hearing/reading you are not the only one suggesting it Panda.  Why would you put a total novice in most important job at the club and just see what happens?  It would not happen in any other walk of life.  People on here scoff at the idea of appointing people who have actually won trophies like a Tommy Wright, John Hughes, Callum Davidson yet they would be happy to chuck in someone who has never been a manager before and if he does ok for half a dozen games just give him the job.  I mean, really?

12 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

That's just a bizarre viewpoint that I cannot get my head around and from what I am hearing/reading you are not the only one suggesting it Panda.  Why would you put a total novice in most important job at the club and just see what happens?  It would not happen in any other walk of life.  People on here scoff at the idea of appointing people who have actually won trophies like a Tommy Wright, John Hughes, Callum Davidson yet they would be happy to chuck in someone who has never been a manager before and if he does ok for half a dozen games just give him the job.  I mean, really?

Well firstly, you want Neil Lennon to get the job, whose last four jobs have all ended acrimoniously, and is totally unsuited for a job at Aberdeen on account he takes no interest in youth players coming through, his coaching and tactics are poor (I'd go as far as to say the game has moved on from when he first started and he's actually a bit of a dinosaur in that respect), and he managed to run a very good Brendan Rodgers team into the ground. Hibs were also eighth when he left them. 

So, not sure you're well placed to give it a "I mean, really?".

Secondly, is Robson a "total novice"? He's been coaching for years, knows the club inside out, will have watched every game and formed his own opinion on players and tactics, and was a leader as a player so shouldn't have a problem commanding respect in the dressing room. He absolutely deserves a dozen or so games to see what he can do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

You seem to be under the illusion that there is any real science to appointing managers. In any walk of life. I've worked under many managers and seen many managers hired for various reasons and fired for various reasons. Some came with great experience, others promoted from within with success and others promoted from within despite glaring evidence that they were useless. Some of the useless ones even turned out to be quite good at managing.

In reality, luck has a gigantic role to play on all levels. Whether they fit in, whether certain players hit a run of form, luck in the transfer window, settling on a system that works, having one or two in the background that hold things together etc. Having Robson in as interim helps to root out some of the wider problems too. Things that can be attributed to something that isn't the manager, that can be weeded out before a new guy comes in. I guess that's always a benefit of an interim appointment, but it has to be weighed against the danger that he might do really well and fans will always use hindsight to suggest we should have just kept him.

You mention not having a guy lined up too, I just don't think that's a thing. The club should always go through a process, even just to rule out other options. You never know who might throw their CV in. You also might have targeted a manager who is with a club that then goes on a run of shite performances and you have to rethink. Any manager that's jobless will likely have just done that too. However, it may just be that you believe that succession planning within the club in both players and management staff is always the correct way to go (if circumstances allow). I generally think it's a good thing, and I'd be quite pleased if we're trying it. The hiring of an experienced coach to see the process through is also sensible. I also don't think it's necessary to explicitly announce that approach either, when you can ease Robson in with less external pressure (he'll know, obviously, so he'll have that internal pressure) and give him time and support to establish himself. 

I genuinely don't know enough about non SPFL managers, so I'd be quite happy if a more mature, more disciplined (with age) Robson is given the opportunity to take the role. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Panda said:

Well firstly, you want Neil Lennon to get the job, whose last four jobs have all ended acrimoniously, and is totally unsuited for a job at Aberdeen on account he takes no interest in youth players coming through, his coaching and tactics are poor (I'd go as far as to say the game has moved on from when he first started and he's actually a bit of a dinosaur in that respect), and he managed to run a very good Brendan Rodgers team into the ground. Hibs were also eighth when he left them. 

So, not sure you're well placed to give it a "I mean, really?".

Secondly, is Robson a "total novice"? He's been coaching for years, knows the club inside out, will have watched every game and formed his own opinion on players and tactics, and was a leader as a player so shouldn't have a problem commanding respect in the dressing room. He absolutely deserves a dozen or so games to see what he can do.

In reality Panda, 99% of football managers leave their jobs acrimoniously as they usually end up getting the sack eventually.  I have seen this "he's a dinosaur" thing trotted out so many times before, it's a joke.  People over analyse things.  Football is the same game it was 50 years ago, the things surrounding it have changed and the finances unquestionably, the rest not so much.  Going by reports today, it's unlikely Lennon is in the frame but his CV is on another level to anyone else being talked about.  Last time I checked our club had won two trophies in over 30 years, Lennon has won 12 as a manager and 13 as a player in the same time.  I don't understand why anyone would want Danny Cowley or Chris Wilder over that.  It's like comparing Joe Miller and Roberto Baggio.

Don't get me wrong, I like Barry Robson and some day he might be a good manager but our club is too big for on the job training.  We're not Inverurie Locos or Brora Rangers where the ex-player might be given a crack at the top job to see how he gets on.  If the Stephen Glass saga told us anything it was that this job is far too big to be anyone's first managerial role. 

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

You seem to be under the illusion that there is any real science to appointing managers. In any walk of life. I've worked under many managers and seen many managers hired for various reasons and fired for various reasons. Some came with great experience, others promoted from within with success and others promoted from within despite glaring evidence that they were useless. Some of the useless ones even turned out to be quite good at managing.

In reality, luck has a gigantic role to play on all levels. .

You mention not having a guy lined up too, I just don't think that's a thing. The club should always go through a process, even just to rule out other options. You never know who might throw their CV in.

It's true that there is always a bit of luck involved Rico but you have to take as much of that out of the equation as possible and give yourself the best chance of getting the right bloke first time.  We have wasted two seasons by making two poor appointments.  Just minimise the risk and go with someone tried and tested.

This is not an industry where you normally advertise a job and you go through dozens of CVs.  Cormack, Milne, Gunn, whoever is involved in appointing the new man have a decent enough knowledge of the managers out there, or other chairman certainly do.  How long did it take for Rangers to appoint Beale after Gerrard left or Everton to appoint Dyche after Lampard had been punted.  It's really not a process that needs to take weeks and months.  Nobody is working their notice at their old job until they take up a new post like in other walks of life. 

16 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

In reality Panda, 99% of football managers leave their jobs acrimoniously as they usually end up getting the sack eventually.

That definitely is a made up statistic. 

I have seen this "he's a dinosaur" thing trotted out so many times before, it's a joke.  People over analyse things.  Football is the same game it was 50 years ago,

It really isn't though is it? Tactics have changed, training methods, the way the players eat, the whole coaching structure, analysis, director of footballs, but to mention the rules have changed significantly.

From what I heard from Celtic, Lennon method's were very limited, especially compared to Brendan Rodgers before him. Likewise, tactically he didn't have much going for him. Yeh Celtic with by far the strongest squad won a lot - when they had a challenge he struggled.

Last time I checked our club had won two trophies in over 30 years, Lennon has won 12 as a manager and 13 as a player in the same time. 

How many of those did he win away from Celtic?

It's like comparing Joe Miller and Roberto Baggio.

Trophies won as a player:-

Joe Miller: 5

Roberto Baggio: 4

Don't get me wrong, I like Barry Robson and some day he might be a good manager but our club is too big for on the job training.  We're not Inverurie Locos or Brora Rangers where the ex-player might be given a crack at the top job to see how he gets on. 

But you're pitching Neil Lennon, whose first managerial job was Celtic.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

In reality Panda, 99% of football managers leave their jobs acrimoniously as they usually end up getting the sack eventually.  I have seen this "he's a dinosaur" thing trotted out so many times before, it's a joke.  People over analyse things.  Football is the same game it was 50 years ago, the things surrounding it have changed and the finances unquestionably, the rest not so much.  Going by reports today, it's unlikely Lennon is in the frame but his CV is on another level to anyone else being talked about.  Last time I checked our club had won two trophies in over 30 years, Lennon has won 12 as a manager and 13 as a player in the same time.  I don't understand why anyone would want Danny Cowley or Chris Wilder over that.  It's like comparing Joe Miller and Roberto Baggio.

Don't get me wrong, I like Barry Robson and some day he might be a good manager but our club is too big for on the job training.  We're not Inverurie Locos or Brora Rangers where the ex-player might be given a crack at the top job to see how he gets on.  If the Stephen Glass saga told us anything it was that this job is far too big to be anyone's first managerial role. 

It's true that there is always a bit of luck involved Rico but you have to take as much of that out of the equation as possible and give yourself the best chance of getting the right bloke first time.  We have wasted two seasons by making two poor appointments.  Just minimise the risk and go with someone tried and tested.

This is not an industry where you normally advertise a job and you go through dozens of CVs.  Cormack, Milne, Gunn, whoever is involved in appointing the new man have a decent enough knowledge of the managers out there, or other chairman certainly do.  How long did it take for Rangers to appoint Beale after Gerrard left or Everton to appoint Dyche after Lampard had been punted.  It's really not a process that needs to take weeks and months.  Nobody is working their notice at their old job until they take up a new post like in other walks of life. 

Beale is a poor example, he was at the Huns previously and has very little experience as a manager, and both van bronckhorst and Gerrard took a while to appoint. Everton are a basket case by all accounts, so I'm not sure that following their example is useful. 

Pretty much every club has a process that takes a few weeks, it really isn't that unusual. Most have their preferred candidates (Goodwin didn't take long to appoint for example), but most often they have a process to make sure that who they're actually interested in is the best available. It's just good sense to do so, especially if your preferred choice isn't interested, or doesn't like the terms. 

I don't necessarily disagree that someone tried and tested is a good idea, but there's really no stand out candidates that I can think of. Lennon is your choice, but he's tried, tested and failed at every club bar the one he was given a shite tonne of money. The other problem with guys like Lennon is that he was demonstrably a worse manager than McInnes, who we're still trying to improve on. For a guy that 50% of the fans think is an absolute cunt before he enters the building, I just don't think it's worth it. There's also the issue of what we're asking a new manager to do, and that's play attacking football whilst getting results. Most SPFL-experienced managers don't do that (because it's difficult). I can't think of a tried and tested SPFL manager that fits the bill.

On 22 December 2022, following criticism of the national team's defensive tactics and style of play under Michniewicz by the media,[21] a turmoil regarding bonuses for national team players and staff,[22] Michniewicz blocking several journalists on Twitter before deleting his account,[23] and reportedly shouldering part of the blame for the media fallout on team manager Jakub Kwiatkowski,[24] it was announced Michniewicz's contract would not be extended and he was to leave his post on 31 December 2022.[25]

Sounds like he takes criticism well. He'll love it here.

• Haha 2

Michniewicz's son reckons he's already in talks with Aberdeen and it's "been going on for a few weeks".

I'd suggest that's shite and more likely they have their eye on another job and are making it look like he's in demand. But hey, I've never met his son, maybe he never lies and Cormack is a fan.

I did like how on a story about Aberdeen the Sun decided to add on this Jason Cummings titbit for no obvious reason.D1BD1A11-27E5-4927-A0D3-C6E9AD1E7E80.thumb.png.2d917058f0cbc9a5f88485ff28d3367e.png

17 minutes ago, Panda said:

Michniewicz's son reckons he's already in talks with Aberdeen and it's "been going on for a few weeks".

I'd suggest that's shite and more likely they have their eye on another job and are making it look like he's in demand. But hey, I've never met his son, maybe he never lies and Cormack is a fan.

I did like how on a story about Aberdeen the Sun decided to add on this Jason Cummings titbit for no obvious reason.D1BD1A11-27E5-4927-A0D3-C6E9AD1E7E80.thumb.png.2d917058f0cbc9a5f88485ff28d3367e.png

a) nobody should ever read the sun

b) thanks for providing a screenshot rather than a link.

• Like 1

The more I hear about this guy, the less I like. 

re: Yorke, nah, he wasn’t that great at MacArthur. Had a very good squad and should have had a greater period of dominance than they have. Won the Aussie cup, but don’t actually have to play many games for that. I’ll say it again, nix manager is one we should genuinely be looking at. Would have won the league twice had it not been for covid which halted the league. Great track record with youth as well as actually bringing in good foreign players. Grumpy, wouldn’t take any shit from the OF. But not until the summer 👍

4 hours ago, manc_don said:

nix manager is one we should genuinely be looking at

Ufuk Talay? (already I see the tabloids having a rare ol'time with that name). Has done a decent job with a very shoestring budget, and in a league where there are always a couple of giants (Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory) and the rest are considered also-rans ... although most of the rest have enjoyed champions status at some point over the past 20 years thanks to salary caps and rules around the number of foreign players in the squad.

• Like 1