Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next manager

On 19/02/2022 at 08:19, redordead said:

Plays possessions football.  No. 

Record of winning things.  Also no.

record of developing youth. None of note.

easy to get.    Apparently so.

for everybody that jumped on the glass appointment. Are we really happy with this process. 

let's be honest, the norweigan was a red herring. Never going to happen but made Dave look as though he had ambition.

hope to be proven wrong but I see defensive football and mediocrity for the foreseeable.

Just saying 😉

Of those mentioned the Cowley brothers (unsure how that will work in our set up?) are about the only ones that inspire even slightly. I guess Nicky would take the list from Mowbray and work out what we need. 

Not sure you can look too deeply into how they did at Portsmouth either. 

5 minutes ago, Jute said:

Not being sacked today apparently.

Bit late for crisis talks with players now is it not. 

Goodwin has lost 7 of the last 9, tied in with recent form and the Darvel game I don't see how colgate doesn't terminate his contract.  He wouldn't even look trigger happy after last night, it's a justified move.  But.  Glass had been fired by this point following losing to Motherwell. Could it be Cormack is going to stick by his man this time? 

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Bit late for crisis talks with players now is it not.

I guess it depends on what's happening behind the scenes, that we don't see. The players - and I find it very unlikely - could be putting up a real defence of their manager. They might see things differently to the fans. Or, more likely, Cormack will want to show an element of professionalism (whatever that means), either outwardly, or towards the players. He'll methodically build his case, and include the players in the prawcess (I mean, if there's a prawcess for hiring, there has to be one for firing, right?). 

In other words, he'll fire him the morn.

1 minute ago, RicoS321 said:

I guess it depends on what's happening behind the scenes, that we don't see. The players - and I find it very unlikely - could be putting up a real defence of their manager. They might see things differently to the fans. Or, more likely, Cormack will want to show an element of professionalism (whatever that means), either outwardly, or towards the players. He'll methodically build his case, and include the players in the prawcess (I mean, if there's a prawcess for hiring, there has to be one for firing, right?). 

In other words, he'll fire him the morn.

He didn't hang around last time though I suppose glass was far more on the brink going into the Motherwell game. The club will have been caught on the hop and not expecting to be under such pressure to sack the manager so quickly. 

The bookies list of candidates is incredibly depressing but it's a shit time to be hiring.  In fact there's probably no solution to this that isn't shit.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

He didn't hang around last time though I suppose glass was far more on the brink going into the Motherwell game. The club will have been caught on the hop and not expecting to be under such pressure to sack the manager so quickly. 

The bookies list of candidates is incredibly depressing but it's a shit time to be hiring.  In fact there's probably no solution to this that isn't shit.  

Only solution is to sack and put Robson in to hopefully “steady the ship” then take our time to appoint the right guy. I want Cormack to work out as chairman, but he’s been pretty woeful so far 

19 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Only solution is to sack and put Robson in to hopefully “steady the ship” then take our time to appoint the right guy. I want Cormack to work out as chairman, but he’s been pretty woeful so far 

We seem to be wasting money hand over fist with recruitment too.  We have more right wingers than the tory party and barely 2 centre half's 

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

At this stage I would be at peace with Robson as an interim. 

This interim manager stuff baffles me.  

If Robson is good enough to become the next Aberdeen manager then give him the job.  If he is deemed not good enough then why would you give him the job for a while?  No point sacking the current manager you think is not good enough just to replace him with another that is not good enough???

Just decide who you want and give him the job now. 

We need someone who knows the Scottish game, not someone who needs on the job training. We already have a lot of players with little experience of this league.  Get in an experienced man who has been around the block and is not going to be fazed by the size of the club and expectation level.

2 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

If Robson is good enough to become the next Aberdeen manager then give him the job.  If he is deemed not good enough then why would you give him the job for a while?  No point sacking the current manager you think is not good enough just to replace him with another that is not good enough???

We need someone who knows the Scottish game, not someone who needs on the job training. We already have a lot of players with little experience of this league.  Get in an experienced man who has been around the block and is not going to be fazed by the size of the club and expectation level.

If there's nobody available or worth employing at the time then an interim manager is handy til there is. 

An opportunity for Robson to maybe surprise us meantime??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

And doesn't go into every match at Ibrox or Parkhead thinking the game is already lost so play for damage limitation

1 hour ago, Elgindon said:

If there's nobody available or worth employing at the time then an interim manager is handy til there is. 

An opportunity for Robson to maybe surprise us meantime??

👆This.  Amazed the concept needed to be explained 2bh.  

Did Robson and sheerin not get a crack previously and do terribly?

Can that and also the " knows the Scottish game patter"

Neil lennon knew the Scottish game, McCoist knows it inside out. Didn't help either as a manager.

Big Ange and Gerrard hadn't set foot in the country. Introduced new ideas and both got good results. Let's be honest, most dons fans would have chosen Goodwin over Ange at the time

We need to look for a winner that plays football. I don't even care if they're not a top league guy. Let's spread our net properly instead of taking in the next punter that believes the old firm can never be touched.  That punter usually being chosen from a West coast media's list of their unemployed pals.

Let's look around Europe, Scandinavia etc and take a punt on someone up and coming. It can't go worse than the last pair of safe hands.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, redordead said:

Neil lennon knew the Scottish game, McCoist knows it inside out. Didn't help either as a manager.

Big Ange and Gerrard hadn't set foot in the country. Introduced new ideas and both got good results. Let's be honest, most dons fans would have chosen Goodwin over Ange at the time

We need to look for a winner that plays football. I don't even care if they're not a top league guy. Let's spread our net properly instead of taking in the next punter that believes the old firm can never be touched.  That punter usually being chosen from a West coast media's list of their unemployed pals.

Let's look around Europe, Scandinavia etc and take a punt on someone up and coming. It can't go worse than the last pair of safe hands.

100% this mate 👌

23 minutes ago, redordead said:

Gerard was given a lot of fuck ups before he was successful. He was so much of a winner he lost to Aberdeen numerous times. 

I don't actually care whether a manager "believes" the old firm could be touched or not, it's utterly irrelevant to what has actually occurred with every single manager in Scottish football over the last 36 years. Goodwin believed he could beat the Huns a few weeks ago, he was just unable to stop his captain being a fuckwit. Glass believed it too.

Our first priority is building a team that can beat hearts over a season. If we're going to overcome a six fold budget deficit, we're going to need more than a foreigner that believes.