Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next manager

Goodwin adamant today that defeat to Hibs doesn't mean the sack. Which makes sense really as why on earth would you give a stay of execution for just one game?

But is 1-0 survivable but 3-0 isn't? Is it two games? What if we win at Hibs but lose at home to St Mirren? 

This is why Aberdeen's statement is such a nonsense. It doesn't matter what Goodwin has been told privately, by not coming out publicly there's going to be speculation over his future after every defeat. And a manager surviving game by game is not healthy - it leads to panicked decision making, as well as playing havoc with his mental health (as much as we may not like his management, spare a thought for Jim Goodwin the human being).

Cormack going into hiding this week and refusing interviews is a disgrace. No doubt Rob McLean or Graham Hunter are about to be wheeled out for a "no holds barred" question and answer, which we all know is laughable. 

A proper club chairman would have either sacked Goodwin, or said "We've sat him down, we've told him at an absolute minimum we expect top four, an improvement in performances especially on the road, no more embarrassing defeats and evidence the team is improving. And we're willing to give him until summer to prove this to end all speculation over his future."

Instead, what player would sign for us not knowing if the manager will last until the end of the transfer window?

As much as I wanted Goodwin out on Wednesday night, fair play to him for having the cajones to stay in the firing line (don't give me the money crap, he would have been handsomely compensated had he accepted the sack). And for that I hope the players do the business for him tomorrow.

But long term this is a mess.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Goodwin adamant today that defeat to Hibs doesn't mean the sack

That's not what he said in his interview though, he says he has no idea: "there is no timeframe on it". Which seems about right. Those fans singing "you're getting sacked in the morning" were entirely correct. There's just no clarification of which morning. 

One thing I'm surprised about is that the FMB didn't suggest getting someone else in to assist on the footballing side of things. The equivalent of that tactics lad we had with Glass. Or even an experienced football person in to assist. I thought they might have used that tactic to buy time.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

That's not what he said in his interview though, he says he has no idea: "there is no timeframe on it". Which seems about right.

Which like I said, means he hasn't been given a "lose to Hibs and you're gone" ultimatum.

By all means, lose to Hibs and he might be gone, because the circus (or Football Monitoring Board as they wish to be known) are likely making it up as they go along.

I seriously wonder if the club have given him any targets. Or if they've just told him to sleep with one eye open and at some point today we may just hear a single gun shot, and that'll be us looking for a new manager.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

One thing I'm surprised about is that the FMB didn't suggest getting someone else in to assist on the footballing side of things. The equivalent of that tactics lad we had with Glass. Or even an experienced football person in to assist. I thought they might have used that tactic to buy time.

Yeh, was Glass not offered an experienced coach and turned it down?

Maybe Goodwin has been offered the same. Thanks to the crap statement and Cormack nae spikkin, we've no idea.

• Like 1

Most of these not realistic but I’d rather start this list, more inspiring than the lambert, jack Ross list, and the majority unemployed. You never know.

lampard, Gerrard, Gary McAllister, cowley brothers, scott brown, ole, klinnsmann, van Bronckhorst, Javi Gracia, Peter Bosz, Bruno Lage, Dean smith, Thierry Henry, Shota Arveladze, Roy Keane, Tony Pulis, Jaap Stam, Paul le Guen….. many of these guy may just need a new challenge, nothing like awakening a sleeping giant!

was always surprised killie got Clarke, hope we are ambitious and look at a seasoned and experienced coaching staff. Has to maybe be an experienced legit sssistant, like Clarke, ready to run his own show?

My first post here in a LOOOONG time (Hi peeps)! We cannot go for a novice like Fletcher or Brown. We need an experienced manager who knows how to deal with players who are stuck in a rut. Lambert and Coyle are battler-managers. They won't get us playing attractive football, but they may just stop the rot. Bakke is an interesting name thats popped up, as is Martindale 

I'm just pissed we took this long to take action. The caretaker only has 3 days to sort that defence out before the window closes, and it urgently needs fixed. Plonking McRorie and Hayes in defence is not the answer, they are needed and more effective further up the field  

• Like 1

Marti Cifuentes

Geir Bakke

Sadly, Ole being linked with Everton & Ajax.

I'd take Cowley brothers ahead of any Scottish candidates, all of them are boring and predictable. I don't usually go for the "must not have links to Old Firm" line, but in this case I think it's important the fans are united behind the next man. 

Glass was an unpopular appointment from day one. Goodwin too. Just look at this forum for people saying "I told you so".

Lambert, Lennon, Martindale and all the rest - same story as above.

It needs to be an exciting, new name that creates the same buzz as Graeme Shinnie's return. 

• Like 1

I've not heard the Cowley brothers talking, but if their voices are anything like thon Lee Johnson, we should be steering well clear.

I have zero idea about non SPFL managers. It's fairly clear to me that Martindale is the best manager in the league, but he seems a perfect fit where he is. He could be persuaded by the opportunity to launder money in a new stadium project of course. I don't think we should go for him though, for the reasons Panda states.

Outside of Scotland, I've simply no idea. After Goodwin, I've no idea how you even get a managerial appointment correct. Glass should have been a complete known quantity in terms of his tactical ability and ability to change games and get the best out of players, but Goodwin will have had a decentish record, up and coming, and interviewed well. Unless you actually sit through games where managers are involved and watch their interactions with players and the tactical changes they make during games, you've got little to go on. Given that many of the managers we'll be looking at might not be in a job, I'm not sure how you do that. It's not like targeting a player.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Panda said:

Marti Cifuentes

Geir Bakke

Sadly, Ole being linked with Everton & Ajax.

I'd take Cowley brothers ahead of any Scottish candidates, all of them are boring and predictable. I don't usually go for the "must not have links to Old Firm" line, but in this case I think it's important the fans are united behind the next man. 

Glass was an unpopular appointment from day one. Goodwin too. Just look at this forum for people saying "I told you so".

Lambert, Lennon, Martindale and all the rest - same story as above.

It needs to be an exciting, new name that creates the same buzz as Graeme Shinnie's return. 

McGhee was wildly popular when he was appointed and that didn't end well. Personally, I think there's something to be said for a boring manager given the state we're in.

If you look at the managers that have failed spectacularly for us (McGhee, Glass and Goodwin) it was mostly due to them not sorting out the defence. We went into seasons with inadequate cover in defensive positions, almost as a choice so we could prioritise more attacking players, and tried to play a brand of progressive football we were incapable of executing. 

The boring managers (Brown and McInnes) were more successful in comparison because they didn't suffer from delusions of grandeur and focused on getting the defence right. 

25 minutes ago, sancho_panza said:

McGhee was wildly popular when he was appointed and that didn't end well. Personally, I think there's something to be said for a boring manager given the state we're in.

If you look at the managers that have failed spectacularly for us (McGhee, Glass and Goodwin) it was mostly due to them not sorting out the defence. We went into seasons with inadequate cover in defensive positions, almost as a choice so we could prioritise more attacking players, and tried to play a brand of progressive football we were incapable of executing. 

The boring managers (Brown and McInnes) were more successful in comparison because they didn't suffer from delusions of grandeur and focused on getting the defence right. 

Alex Miller was a boring manager and was shit.

An attack minded or a possession based manager can still fix a defence. Goodwin was seen as pragmatic, it was one of the reasons he was appointed on account he would make us solid, and he failed spectacularly.

Whoever it is they will need to be able to polish a turd as we will need them to be able to work with what we have until the summer at least. 

Martindale is suited to Livingston. I am not sure he would stand up to the scrutiny and pressure he would come under being at a bigger club. 

It cannot be Lennon or Lambert or any of the other usual suspects in Scotland. They’re all unemployed currently for a reason.

Cowley brothers impressed at Lincoln not so much since so it would be a risk. As others have said not sure we can afford to be gambling this time. Not that every appointment isn’t a gamble. 

Bakke appeals and wonder if Knutsen would say no this time if we asked.

22 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I suspect that if you spoke to him like that he would.

It’s a Scottish translation of his name. I am surprised a man of your vast intellect was not aware.

Okay it’s a fucking rage induced typo. I am having a bad day. Everyone of my neighbours has fucking made sure they have been out to mention yesterday’s game. Even my cheery “enjoy another 6 months of Johnston” has not deterred them. The Jambos are even worse. Smug diet Hun cunts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Jute said:

Okay it’s a fucking rage induced typo. I am having a bad day. Everyone of my neighbours has fucking made sure they have been out to mention yesterday’s game. Even my cheery “enjoy another 6 months of Johnston” has not deterred them. The Jambos are even worse. Smug diet Hun cunts. 

The best way to get rid of annoying hibees is to perform a reverse beetle juice on them. If you say the name "Terry Butcher" three times, they simply disappear.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Panda said:

Alex Miller was a boring manager and was shit.

An attack minded or a possession based manager can still fix a defence. Goodwin was seen as pragmatic, it was one of the reasons he was appointed on account he would make us solid, and he failed spectacularly.

And a defensive-minded manager can still have the team scoring goals (see McInnes in the good years). That doesn't mean much.

The reality is we have the worst defensive record in the league and the expected goals against numbers suggest we're lucky not to have conceded more. Goodwin didn't just fail to make us solid, he didn't even attempt it in the first place. We went into the season at least one centre back short, our full backs are a rotating cast of players whose best attributes are going forward, and outside of games against the Old Firm his tactics simply exacerbated our defensive weaknesses.

One of the main reasons we had success under McInnes is that we had a period of boredom under Craig Brown that laid the foundations for it. We're just as much of a shambles now as we were when Brown arrived in my opinion, the only difference is we have more points in the bag from earlier in the season and aren't bottom of the league.

• Like 2