Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next manager

20 hours ago, manc_don said:

The more I hear about this guy, the less I like. 

re: Yorke, nah, he wasn’t that great at MacArthur. Had a very good squad and should have had a greater period of dominance than they have. Won the Aussie cup, but don’t actually have to play many games for that. I’ll say it again, nix manager is one we should genuinely be looking at. Would have won the league twice had it not been for covid which halted the league. Great track record with youth as well as actually bringing in good foreign players. Grumpy, wouldn’t take any shit from the OF. But not until the summer 👍

Agreed.  It's a big fat no from me on Michniewicz

• Like 1

Is Yorkie bringing Jordan up with him? Sure she would pick up the teuchter dialect pretty quickly.  The last couple of managerial appointments have been a fair couple of boobs 😉

On a serious note, how does this actually make it into the papers, it just makes the deluded amongst our support even worse.  I am surprised I have not heard anyone suggest Fergie as director of football with his loon as manager.

22 minutes ago, BigAl said:

2.35pm Radio Scotland, John Hughes confirming he has gone through the appropriate channels and applied for the job.

Even funnier listening to him saying his CV speaks for itself and he is a perfect fit for the club 😂

image.gif.3a6f55954461b5dcf965b851fc1d3e50.gif

Robson saying post-match he doesn't know if he'll be in charge for the Celtic game, will need to speak to the board.

I would like Robson to be assistant manager with Agnew also staying on the coaching staff. But fear it's still too big a job just yet for him full-time, would be another Stephen Glass situation where you can see some good things but maybe that lack of experience at times just comes to the fore. In hindsight Glass maybe should have been assistant to someone else & been groomed for the role - he could have been getting it at the end of this season if he had that sort of plan in place.

An experienced and exciting foreign* coach coming in to work with Robson/Agnew would be my preferred choice.

*foreign as in not currently related to Scottish football. Let's get someone in with no links to the old firm, no baggage from previous times in Scotland, and someone with a good track record we can all be excited about.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Panda said:

Let's get someone in with no links to the old firm

An intriguing comment.  What difference could it possibly make to have a manager with "no links to the old firm".  What even does that mean and what is the qualifying criteria?  Is that someone who has managed the old firm, played for them or just has a blue or green scarf in the cupboard at home?  

Ferguson, Aitken and McInnes had all been old firm players and managed to win us silverware. Jimmy Calderwood and Alex McLeish were self confessed Rangers fans but both did not bad for us.

Barry Robson has been with both sides of the OF, but I see you are proposing him as assistant manager 🤔. Johnny Hayes played for Celtic, Ross McCrorie for Rangers, should we sell them?   Graeme Shinnie's brother was with Rangers at one point, does that qualify?  Presumably he should be nowhere near the captaincy of Aberdeen for that reason.

The old firm are not even our present day rivals.  We have aspirations to be the third best team in Scotland, our rivals for that position are Hibs and Hearts.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

An intriguing comment.  What difference could it possibly make to have a manager with "no links to the old firm".  What even does that mean and what is the qualifying criteria?  Is that someone who has managed the old firm, played for them or just has a blue or green scarf in the cupboard at home?  

Ferguson, Aitken and McInnes had all been old firm players and managed to win us silverware. Jimmy Calderwood and Alex McLeish were self confessed Rangers fans but both did not bad for us.

Barry Robson has been with both sides of the OF, but I see you are proposing him as assistant manager 🤔. Johnny Hayes played for Celtic, Ross McCrorie for Rangers, should we sell them?   Graeme Shinnie's brother was with Rangers at one point, does that qualify?  Presumably he should be nowhere near the captaincy of Aberdeen for that reason.

The old firm are not even our present day rivals.  We have aspirations to be the third best team in Scotland, our rivals for that position are Hibs and Hearts.  

I actually explained why in an earlier post on this thread. Clearly, having a link to either of the Old Firm doesn't hinder their ability to be a football manager. 

My point was that the new man has to be someone who - if not universally, then at least a very large majority - are excited about and right behind from day one. You bring in Neil Lennon, Paul Lambert, David Martindale or - considering they've both thrown their hats into the ring - John Hughes or Charlie Adam, then you're going to have the support split again like they were with Glass & Goodwin, and a huge section just waiting for the manager to fail so they can say "I told you so".

As an aside, McInnes took plenty of stick for his Rangers leanings, as did Calderwood. Robson it's a bit different as he's an Aberdeen boy, one of our own really like Shinnie.

But I don't want anyone from within Scotland, whether they're linked to the Old Firm or not. I want a fresh face in from elsewhere with a good track record, with Robson and Agnew as part of his management team.

Edited by Panda

For me personally, Wilder, Agnew and Robson as the Manager, Assistant & 1st Team Coach respectively. You're getting plenty top level English Football Coaching there, experience and probably a host of contacts that could be utilised. Would be my preference as opposed to the other names being linked. Wilder's Managerial statistics below, for anyone interested. 

C Wilder.JPG

Edited by DixieNormous

5 minutes ago, Slim said:

Problem with Wilder is that any hint of a good run of form is going to see him getting a job back down south almost immediately.

Yeah that would be a concern but that could be the same for Knutsen, Bekke or  Cifuentes if they start well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Yeah that would be a concern but that could be the same for Knutsen, Bekke or  Cifuentes if they start well. 

Yep. Or Barry Robson. One of the first things Cormack said when he came in was that he wanted good succession planning at the club, and I was delighted as I've been saying it for years. When McInnes was getting in his own sports scientists, scouts etc if concerned me greatly. Cormack made absolutely no changes to the club that hinted at succession planning, and we didn't have recruitment or DofF positions filled when Glass arrived and we all saw the disaster. Whoever we employ as manager, we have to do it on our terms (compromise, to a degree of course), with succession in mind, always. If Wilder were to come in and immediately say that a person was underperforming, then that's fine, but we don't need him picking his mate from Halifax or wherever, we go through a proper recruitment process to get a new person. Similarly, he should be able to identify players, but those players must be filtered through our recruitment team and processes. None of the above managers have experience of taking a player from their country to play in the SPFL and as we've seen on many occasions, good players aren't good everywhere. If Wilder is a great coach and manager, and he can add his specific talents to the recruitment negotiations, allowing us to sign players who might not otherwise come to us, then that's certainly worth getting him here for. Those qualities are specific to him, but they're things that we can look for in a replacement when the time comes. What we never want to go through again is an exodus of staff upon a manager leaving because he was the one in complete control (and in McInnes' case, probably left it to stagnate).

Edit: to clarify, the line should be drawn between manager and first team coaching staff, with the rest falling under director of football.

Edited by RicoS321
  • Like 1

Happy to be proven wrong but I would be staggered if Wilder would come up here.  Of late he has managed in the EPL and with Middlesbrough in the Championship and in financial terms I cannot imagine he'd be in our stratosphere.  Middlesbrough have regularly bought players for £2M-£3M, they must have been paying Wilder something like £20,000-£30,000 a week?  They get crowds of 25,000 down there.  Most of the time we are signing players from leagues one and two on frees.  

He could easily get another gig in the English Championship so with the best will in the world, what would be his motivation for being interested?   For me it goes back to being realistic with our targets.  A lot of our fans (and I also think our chairman thinks the same) have wild ideas about us being some sleeping giant club but we're not. Our average attendances are fifth in the country by some distance.  I just cannot see why someone like Wilder, Hughton, Bruce or Solskjaer would be remotely interested but time will tell I suppose.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Happy to be proven wrong but I would be staggered if Wilder would come up here.  Of late he has managed in the EPL and with Middlesbrough in the Championship and in financial terms I cannot imagine he'd be in our stratosphere.  Middlesbrough have regularly bought players for £2M-£3M, they must have been paying Wilder something like £20,000-£30,000 a week?  They get crowds of 25,000 down there.  Most of the time we are signing players from leagues one and two on frees.  

He could easily get another gig in the English Championship so with the best will in the world, what would be his motivation for being interested?   For me it goes back to being realistic with our targets.  A lot of our fans (and I also think our chairman thinks the same) have wild ideas about us being some sleeping giant club but we're not. Our average attendances are fifth in the country by some distance.  I just cannot see why someone like Wilder, Hughton, Bruce or Solskjaer would be remotely interested but time will tell I suppose.

I agree entirely. I didn't actually know enough about Wilder or Boro or Sheffield utd to realise his level! If he's only just out of a job in October 22, then he'll almost certainly still be being paid by Middlesbrough (gardening leave seems to be the done thing these days). That was likely the same with solskjaer when he was being touted last time around (except he was on an £8M contract). I'd be extremely concerned if we moved to a point where we were paying a manager £1M per season (I've never believed McInnes' reported £750K), or even £500K. I don't think we'd recoup that with results, without a similar uplift in player salaries. Then we'd be way beyond the 60% wages to turnover that I believe we're already in breach of. Unfortunately the market we're in has a dearth of interesting names just now. I'd stick with Robson for a bit longer. 

According to the fucking Sun apparently Wilder has now ruled himself. Not even remotely fussed 2bh, if he did come and and performed well he would be gone pretty quickly. 

Cormack has gone back to the states too so I think it's becoming ever more likely Robson and Agnew have it to the end of the season.  I can live with that, they seem safe hands for now. 

8 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I just cannot see why someone like Wilder, Hughton, Bruce or Solskjaer would be remotely interested but time will tell I suppose.

To be fair, Wilder welcomed the approach and spoke - either directly or indirectly through an agent - with the club, so there was some interest there.

That all said, Sun reporting tonight he's pulled out of the race. 

Not a huge loss as I'd struggle to trust someone who spent £20m on Oli McBurnie.

Edited by Panda
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Jute said:

Officially announced.

Don’t know much about him but did think a CEO to get between Colgate and the football operation was the right move. 

Now for a Sporting director to select manager. 

Was Duncan Fraser not CEO? I was sure he had moved from finance director at one point. Always thought Burrows came across as intelligent and had a good understanding of the game and the fans at Motherwell. Seems a decent appointment.

8 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Was Duncan Fraser not CEO? I was sure he had moved from finance director at one point. Always thought Burrows came across as intelligent and had a good understanding of the game and the fans at Motherwell. Seems a decent appointment.

Think he was but left after Cormack became chairman to do a role at UEFA. 

• Like 1