Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next manager

3 hours ago, manc_don said:

His agent has a lovely writing style.

Seriously though, it's an article written by an apparent student journalist with no other pieces to his name.  Let's not put too much weight on it.

• Like 1

All we can hope for is that Cormack uses his brain in this next appointment.  My worry is that he will do something silly thinking he can somehow win the league if he finds a hidden gem.  I hope he takes all applications from outside of these shores and puts them straight in the bin.  Doing a google a search to find a manager from the Japanese league with a good win percentage is no way to be selecting someone to manage in Aberdeen.  It is a total needle in a haystack job.  Getting someone in who knows the league, players, culture and language has to be the way to go.  We are seventh in the league and the last couple of months having been nothing short of embarrassing.  The results against Darvel, Hearts and Hibs were even worse than back in the days of Alex Miller, Ebbe and Steve Paterson.  Personally, I would take Souness as manager with a backroom team of Durrant and Kris Boyd if it meant we would actually starting winning games again.  

37 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

All we can hope for is that Cormack uses his brain in this next appointment.  My worry is that he will do something silly thinking he can somehow win the league if he finds a hidden gem.  I hope he takes all applications from outside of these shores and puts them straight in the bin.  Doing a google a search to find a manager from the Japanese league with a good win percentage is no way to be selecting someone to manage in Aberdeen.  It is a total needle in a haystack job.  Getting someone in who knows the league, players, culture and language has to be the way to go.  We are seventh in the league and the last couple of months having been nothing short of embarrassing.  The results against Darvel, Hearts and Hibs were even worse than back in the days of Alex Miller, Ebbe and Steve Paterson.  Personally, I would take Souness as manager with a backroom team of Durrant and Kris Boyd if it meant we would actually starting winning games again.  

Goodwin knew the league, players, language, culture….as did Paterson and miller of days past. Doesn’t guarantee anything.

• Like 1

All we can hope for is that Cormack uses his brain in this next appointment.

In fairness, when he used his heart for previous appointments, it's clear that there was an underlying issue. Once he's had his bypass surgery he should be fine to use his heart over head again for the next appointment.

My worry is that he will do something silly thinking he can somehow win the league if he finds a hidden gem.  I hope he takes all applications from outside of these shores and puts them straight in the bin.  Doing a google a search to find a manager from the Japanese league with a good win percentage is no way to be selecting someone to manage in Aberdeen.  It is a total needle in a haystack job.  Getting someone in who knows the league, players, culture and language has to be the way to go.  We are seventh in the league and the last couple of months having been nothing short of embarrassing.  The results against Darvel, Hearts and Hibs were even worse than back in the days of Alex Miller, Ebbe and Steve Paterson. 

I sort of know what you mean, but I think that limits the pool significantly. There is zero outstanding candidates in the available category. Any manager is going to come with a level of uncertainty, where track record and interview is what we're going on. There simply isn't the available scouting on managers. Given that over half our team has zero experience of the game up here, I'm not convinced that the manager needs to either. Certainly not to the extent that it will make a difference. We should have enough knowledge at the club to bridge that gap.

40 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Personally, I would take Souness as manager with a backroom team of Durrant and Kris Boyd if it meant we would actually starting winning games again

That's the thing, you absolutely wouldn't and neither would the fans. The problem, of course, is that success can't be measured until much later. It's the reason why guys like Lennon should be a non starter and, to an extent, Strachan too.

5 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I sort of know what you mean, but I think that limits the pool significantly. There is zero outstanding candidates in the available category. Any manager is going to come with a level of uncertainty, where track record and interview is what we're going on. There simply isn't the available scouting on managers. Given that over half our team has zero experience of the game up here, I'm not convinced that the manager needs to either. Certainly not to the extent that it will make a difference. We should have enough knowledge at the club to bridge that gap.

I think you are massively overcomplicating it, Rico. 

If Cormack wants to employ someone in his software business, he doesn't go scouring Japan and Australia for potential candidates.  Nor does Stewart Milne if he wanted to recruit someone for a top job in his building company.  He would look at the applications, talk to people he knows that he can trust and use his knowledge of what he has seen in the industry.

I don't know whether there is an outstanding candidate or even whether there needs to be actually, our club is probably at a level where we could not attract such a person.  There are though several people who have taken the reigns at clubs in Scotland and done a decent job who, with the budget available to them, would be well capable of taking our team higher up the table.  We are not after all, looking for somebody who will win us the Champions League, just a safe pair of hands to get us into Europe and challenge for the odd cup.  I think a lot of our support are looking for what you might call a sexy appointment but in actual fact we really just need someone boring and reliable who is not going to be in danger of being knocked out of the cup by Darvel. 

I am not suggesting appointing on OAP but I would interested to know whether Craig Brown applied for the job after Mark McGhee left.  I suspect we just knew who we wanted and went out and got him.  It's surely not that difficult and not something that needs to take weeks and months.    

29 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I think you are massively overcomplicating it, Rico. 

If Cormack wants to employ someone in his software business, he doesn't go scouring Japan and Australia for potential candidates.  Nor does Stewart Milne if he wanted to recruit someone for a top job in his building company.  He would look at the applications, talk to people he knows that he can trust and use his knowledge of what he has seen in the industry.

I don't know whether there is an outstanding candidate or even whether there needs to be actually, our club is probably at a level where we could not attract such a person.  There are though several people who have taken the reigns at clubs in Scotland and done a decent job who, with the budget available to them, would be well capable of taking our team higher up the table.  We are not after all, looking for somebody who will win us the Champions League, just a safe pair of hands to get us into Europe and challenge for the odd cup.  I think a lot of our support are looking for what you might call a sexy appointment but in actual fact we really just need someone boring and reliable who is not going to be in danger of being knocked out of the cup by Darvel. 

I am not suggesting appointing on OAP but I would interested to know whether Craig Brown applied for the job after Mark McGhee left.  I suspect we just knew who we wanted and went out and got him.  It's surely not that difficult and not something that needs to take weeks and months.    

Milne went and got Brown, that's correct. I'm struggling to see an equivalent. I've no idea how Cormack recruits for his own business, but everything he's done so far suggests that he's not looking for the type of manager you suggest. The requirements he would put on a manager means that the likes of Robinson or someone would automatically struggle. McInnes is a better manager than most in the SPFL and he couldn't perform adequately under Cormack. The likes of Goodwin and Glass were happy to attempt to play to Cormack's tune as they were up and coming young managers. The club strategy would have to completely change if we're going for the boring reliable candidate and nothing suggests Cormack has reached that point yet. In other words, I'm not over complicating things, the club is. There are simply no candidates in Scotland (or Scottish managers) that fit the bill as far as I can see. The bill being something prescribed by Cormack of course.

2 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

We are not after all, looking for somebody who will win us the Champions League, just a safe pair of hands to get us into Europe and challenge for the odd cup.  I think a lot of our support are looking for what you might call a sexy appointment but in actual fact we really just need someone boring and reliable who is not going to be in danger of being knocked out of the cup by Darvel. 

Is predictable mediocrity what you really want as a football fan though? Let Cormack worry about KPI’s and balancing the books, it’s our job as supporters to have hope and be excited about the unknown. I’d much rather roll the dice and make a risky appointment if it meant an extremely small chance at real glory. Cormack seems to be all about the fan experience, he’s not going to get much success on that front hiring the least shit plodder with SPFL experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Is predictable mediocrity what you really want as a football fan though? Let Cormack worry about KPI’s and balancing the books, it’s our job as supporters to have hope and be excited about the unknown. I’d much rather roll the dice and make a risky appointment if it meant an extremely small chance at real glory. Cormack seems to be all about the fan experience, he’s not going to get much success on that front hiring the least shit plodder with SPFL experience.

We’ve rolled the dice twice and gone from regularly being in Europe to being 7th and pumped out of the cup in January by part timers. Cormack’s strategy so far has failed spectacularly, he could barely have made a bigger mess of it if he had tried to. If mediocrity means being in the mix for the European places again and the odd trip to Hampden then I’d take that.

Every hire is a risk. Experience to me brings lesser risk, but still risk. I don’t believe knowing our league, players etc is a major factor, especially when you can have Scottish assistants or coaches involved. Foreign coaches are hired all over the world, at club and international level, and can be successful, Scotland is not unique. Glass and goodwin were very uninspiring hires as I voiced at the time, plus both inexperienced. I’d rather take a punt on Rodriguez or the likes, make it a little more interesting, especially when there are so few appealing Scottish//British managers.

Edited by OrlandoDon

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

No bad mate, welcome back

How's the missus, I've not been round to see her for a while 😉

Situation became similar to the McInnes scenario at pittodrie, style of play became predictable and boring so a change was necessary. Had a few fresh candidates who held the interim position, before settling on an exciting new prospect to fill the role on a more permanent basis. Far from the finished article, I’d say she still hasn’t reached her full potential, however we’ve had some exciting performances along the way. 😘

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, CtS said:

Situation became similar to the McInnes scenario at pittodrie, style of play became predictable and boring so a change was necessary. Had a few fresh candidates who held the interim position, before settling on an exciting new prospect to fill the role on a more permanent basis. Far from the finished article, I’d say she still hasn’t reached her full potential, however we’ve had some exciting performances along the way. 😘

Sounds like you are describing Duk. Is it Duk??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Panda said:

https://redtv.afc.co.uk/video/7435

An update from Alan Burrows.

In short, the club has a big list of names, they're going to whittle that down to a shortlist in the next 48 hours.

Spoke some kinds words about Barry Robson but reading between the lines it sounds like win, lose or draw on Saturday, he won't be permanent boss.

Hmmmm, not convinced of your last paragraph 2bh.  I couldn't help but feel burrows was keeping his options open on that score, certainly until the end of the season at least.  If they are looking at managers already in employment it would stand to reason some would want to see out their respective campaigns before moving which could Robson some wriggle room. If Robson is given it until the end of the season and does really E.g. He manages to take 3rd place then all bets are off and he's massively in with a shout of the gig on a permanent basis.  

It would seem to me it will all depend on whether or not there is an outstanding candidate available now.  If there is they will get the job.  If there's not it seems prudent that it should Robson till the end of the season.  

11 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

It would seem to me it will all depend on whether or not there is an outstanding candidate available now.  If there is they will get the job.  If there's not it seems prudent that it should Robson till the end of the season.  

But going by Burrows, they expect to have a shortlist within 48 hours. 

You wouldn't put together a shortlist then wait 3-4 months to see how the interim does.

Robson might be on that shortlist. Me personally I hope he is as I'm quite content with him getting the job. But I just get the impression they think a lot of him, potentially want him as part of the management team, but don't want to actually give him the keys yet. Which is fine as long as the fella getting those keys isn't Neil Lennon or Jack Ross.

5 hours ago, Panda said:

But going by Burrows, they expect to have a shortlist within 48 hours. 

You wouldn't put together a shortlist then wait 3-4 months to see how the interim does.

Robson might be on that shortlist. Me personally I hope he is as I'm quite content with him getting the job. But I just get the impression they think a lot of him, potentially want him as part of the management team, but don't want to actually give him the keys yet. Which is fine as long as the fella getting those keys isn't Neil Lennon or Jack Ross.

Just because you put together a shortlist doesn't mean you have to choose one of them either though. 

Edited by tlg1903

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

You can't just write a list and then not use it. Blatant ecocide.

It would be used though otherwise you would not be able to come to the conclusion that no-one on it warrants being appointed.  

Couldn't help but have a wee wry smile at Robsons presser today when he was asked if he wanted to be on the SL.  Basically said I've been asked this a thousand times then ducked the question yet again.  If you want the questions to stop Bazza give a yes or no answer to a yes or no question.  😂😂

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Couldn't help but have a wee wry smile at Robsons presser today when he was asked if he wanted to be on the SL.  Basically said I've been asked this a thousand times then ducked the question yet again.  If you want the questions to stop Bazza give a yes or no answer to a yes or no question.  😂😂

If I wanted the job, but wasn't confident I was going to get the job, I wouldn't give a straight answer either.