Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Zander's set to be a Jambo

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3441122/Zanders-set-to-be-a-Jambo.html#comment-rig

HEARTS are poised to land Aberdeen's Zander Diamond on a pre-contract deal.

Sunsport can reveal Jambos boss Jim Jefferies has targeted the out-of-contract Dons defender.

It is understood Jefferies has warned Pittodrie boss Craig Brown he'll open talks with Diamond.

He wants the centre half, who'll be 26 next month, to partner Andy Webster at Tynecastle next season.

And it is believed negotiations over salary and length of deal will be stepped up in the next few days.

Jambos are resigned to losing on-form stopper Marius Zaliukas in the summer.

Ismael Bouzid is also out of contract and his high wages mean he's unlikely to be offered an extension.

Now Jefferies has turned to Diamond, who's been with the Dons since schooldays but is nearing the end of his deal.

Brown is very keen to keep Diamond at Aberdeen but knows he can't compete with Jambos on wages.

Diamond, who has also been watched by English clubs, has yet to make a decision on his future. But the lure of European football and working with Jefferies could tempt him.

Brown also has Chris Maguire, Sone Aluko, Derek Young and Jamie Langfield out of contract this summer.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't give a toss if he leaves, but I'd prefer him to go to England.  A fired up and motivated Zander Diamond is a player worth having in your team, without doubt he'll rediscover that motivation when lining up against us next season.

As others have said, rather we was doon sooth so he couldnt play against us.

I want him up here so we do play against him, he's fucking garbage.

I used to like him, but his attitude and performances over the last two years have ruined any goodwill I had towards him.  I actually think he could have been a really good defender, but he's another who thinks he knows it all and believes he doesn't have to listen to those who know better.

Hearts are welcome to him.

There is more than a passing resemblance between this and the Mulgrew transfer though, and he came back to haunt us despite being 'garbage'.

Did Mulgrew really haunt us? He scored a goal in a 4-1 rout.  It's Zander Diamond and Charlie Mulgrew... not Charlie Nicholas and David Robertson.

I want him up here so we do play against him, he's fucking garbage.

I used to like him, but his attitude and performances over the last two years have ruined any goodwill I had towards him.  I actually think he could have been a really good defender, but he's another who thinks he knows it all and believes he doesn't have to listen to those who know better.

Hearts are welcome to him.

Couldn't have put it any better myself.

Bring it on I say :thumbsup:

Well I think it's fair to say Mulgrew's come out of the situation without any regrets, he is playing regularly, being touted for a Scotland call-up, winning games, going to finals, and probably winning the title. And most importantly he's been a part of a side that's humiliated Aberdeen on more than one occasion this season.

Well I think it's fair to say Mulgrew's come out of the situation without any regrets, he is playing regularly, being touted for a Scotland call-up, winning games, going to finals, and probably winning the title. And most importantly he's been a part of a side that's humiliated Aberdeen on more than one occasion this season.

do we have any regrets over him not signing for us again? I certainly don't, maybe you do, but all those things you list bar the last one are nothing to do with Aberdeen which is all it comes to down to for myself.

If Diamond goes on to do well with Hearts, fair play to him, but whether he's at Hearts or some side down south, I'm not particularly bothered. I want him away from my football club because his attitude is shite and he's a bombscare.  He will actually weaken Hearts' defence, i'd say that's a good thing for us.

Surely it should be  "the lure of more money" and "working his ticket"?

There is no way he can claim a move to the hunbos is a career move, it's all about money. Either more of Vlad's wedge, or a bargaining tool when Colchester come in for him.

:wave: Zander, you were good for us once upon a time, but it's obviously all over now.

Yeah I agree, but I also thought Mulgrew would weaken Celtic - and that doesn't seem to be the case. I think that's the point I was trying to make.

While you are correct that Mulgrew has played well for Celtic for the majority of the last 6-7 weeks its important that you keep that in context. He was poor for them for almost all of the period before that and was not a first pick. He has been playing central defence in a team who are playing so much on the front foot that they could possibly have been placing traffic cones in the centre of their defence and they would have coped. The first time they falter slightly as an attacking unit (ie Motherwell) then the weakness of their back line is exposed horribly, Mulgrew included.

Back to Diamond. I'd be surprised if he was keen on this move but who knows. As Jute says, no story without quotes. Personally, I'm with BB, Zander used to be a prospect and its a real shame that things have gone the way they have but he has demonstrated too often in recent years that he is not going to develop or progress in a red shirt. If he does that in some other colours then good luck to him and we will no doubt regret his loss in some way. Bottom line is that he is not doing it for Aberdeen and so we have to get rid.