Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Zander's set to be a Jambo

Guest ally s

I want him up here so we do play against him, he's fucking garbage.

I used to like him, but his attitude and performances over the last two years have ruined any goodwill I had towards him.  I actually think he could have been a really good defender, but he's another who thinks he knows it all and believes he doesn't have to listen to those who know better.

Hearts are welcome to him.

Spot on.

*Willie Miller offered Diamond videos of McLeish defending so he could study them, learn a few things, and hopefully improve.*  Miller's offer was rejected.  That pretty much sums Diamond up for me tbh.

* Allegedly

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as he is replaced by a better player then no problems with him leaving. Still think there is a decent defender in him so would rather he went down South rather to one of our rivals.

I agree, rather he fucked off down south

*Willie Miller offered Diamond videos of McLeish defending so he could study them, learn a few things, and hopefully improve.*  Miller's offer was rejected.  That pretty much sums Diamond up for me tbh.

* Allegedly

If that's true what an arse!

I seem to remember the quote from Diamond being along the lines of "I don't want to be the next Alex McLeish, I want to be my own type of player".

He's certainly managed that. I can't imagine many youth players will want to watch videos of Zander for inspiration in the years to come.

Aberdeen manager Craig Brown revealed defender Zander Diamond was a likely transfer target for Hearts after watching his side draw 0-0 with St Johnstone.

Diamond was again absent for Aberdeen with an ankle injury as Jamie Langfield earned the Dons a Clydesdale Bank Premier League point with a number of excellent second-half saves.

But Brown later revealed Hearts manager Jim Jefferies had contacted him to clarify his rumoured interest in the centre-back, who is out of contract in the summer.

Brown said: “To Jim Jefferies’ great credit, he phoned me and said: ‘I have not spoken to Zander Diamond but the possibility is, when I have gathered all the information, I will speak to him, but I will let you know’. You can’t get fairer than that.

“Obviously we will offer Zander a contract.

“If it’s just about money we might not be successful. But if he takes everything into consideration and is happy here and I hope he thinks the team is going places, that might influence him.

“But the usual deciding factor is financial and in that regard I think we would struggle to compete.”

Brown was disappointed with his side’s performance and praised Langfield for repelling some sustained second-half pressure.

The 70-year-old said: “We didn’t play well, we were short of our best standards, although I think we had the two best chances in the match when (Nick) Blackman was through one against one and (Rob) Milsom had a great chance. But our goalkeeper had a couple of superb saves.”

St Johnstone manager Derek McInnes felt his side deserved better, and argued that Craig Thomson denied them a clear penalty following David McNamee’s clumsy aerial challenge on the impressive Peter MacDonald.

“I’m really disappointed we have not managed to take three points for the fans and the players’ efforts,” McInnes said.

“We created more chances than the previous two or three home games. Individually we never had a passenger, everyone played their part.

“I thought we were the better team from start to finish. I don’t say that lightly because Aberdeen are a good team and are on a good run.

“We were a wee bit deliberate with our finishing, we had two or three real opportunities.

“We had a stonewall penalty claim, having seen it again, I couldn’t believe there was any other decision other than a penalty.”

I think if he wants to go and benifit his game he is making the wrong move.  If money drives him then he can go. 

I still think he is getting crucified a wee bit by some dons fans.  Ok he had Anderson at the start of his career but he really ended up being the one taking the flak for a team who was crying out for an experienced defender beside him.  Perhaps he should have grown into the role but not every player has that capability in them.  Even a Darren Dods or Davie Weir playing along side him might have just made that difference to make him a better player. Who knows!!

I still feel, on his day, when he concentrates, he is a top class centreback.  Its a shame his career has taken a bad turn recently.  A few years ago he was immense and Considine was a joke.  Considine has 'slightly' steadied the ship and Zander has been guilty of lazy errors. Craig Brown might just make a difference.  Just have to wait and see.

The fact is, post Anderson, Considine has almost always looked the "steadier" bet. Not as good as Zander at his best, but less often the bombscare Zander has been at times since the 08-09 season.

Zander.....a legend in his own lunchpants, can be brillian can be a twat! Considine will never be great, he will be steady though, and I think I know what I prefer in a defender.

It's a shame, because when he was a kid and started the first six or seven games a few seasons ago (05-06??) until he got sent off at Tannadice he looked an exceptional talent.

Hopefully players coming through the youth system will learn from where he went wrong, could've been a great player for us.

It's a shame, because when he was a kid and started the first six or seven games a few seasons ago (05-06??) until he got sent off at Tannadice he looked an exceptional talent.

Hopefully players coming through the youth system will learn from where he went wrong, could've been a great player for us.

Agreed. The performance that really stands out for me is his performance against Rangers at Pittodrie, it was the first game of the season and it was Calderwood's first game in charge. It ended 0-0. Diamond and Anderson were both exceptional that game but in the latter stages, Diamond made some terrific game saving tackles inside the box and the whole of the RDU were singing 'There's only one Zander Diamond!' Cant think of many more times that was sung! For whatever reason, he hasn't progressed from there, from a raw but great teenage prospect. He had that awful 18 months where he was getting red cards, injuries and making mistakes and he has never really recovered. Ok, now, on his day, he is capable of being a decent SPL centre back but a howler is never far away and I have lost confidence in having Diamond at centre back.  Time to go.

As usual, Aberdeen have failed to capitalise. Zander was at his most sellable about three or four years ago. At that time, rumours were flying around about him moving to other clubs. Now that we cannae stand him and he's become a bit of a donkey (an out of contract donkey at that) we are set to lose him for nothing.

Can't Plymouth take him off our hands for $300k?

As usual, Aberdeen have failed to capitalise. Zander was at his most sellable about three or four years ago. At that time, rumours were flying around about him moving to other clubs. Now that we cannae stand him and he's become a bit of a donkey (an out of contract donkey at that) we are set to lose him for nothing.

If we had sold him 3 or 4 years ago, we would have been on here bitching about Milne and Calderwood not doing enough to keep our star players.

You can't reallly blame Aberdeen for the inability to see into the future.

You can't reallly blame Aberdeen for the inability to see into the future.

I beg to differ.

There is a countdown timer that commences the moment any Aberdeen player with "potential" is touted to a big club. This countdown timer last approximately three years, and by the end of those three years they are booed off the park by the Aberdeen fans for being so ineptly shite.

For all that Diamond had a bad game today, I thought Vujadinovic was even worse. It must be a nightmare playing beside that guy as the number of times he gets caught too far in front of the rest of the back three/four/five is unbelievable.

We desperately, desperately need an experienced centre half who will talk the rest of the defence into shape as the plonkers we have at the moment don't seem to have the intelligence or concentration necessary to defend properly for 90 mins.

I had comps for the game yesterday and was sitting in the main stand at the end St Mirren were attacking in the first half (was really popular with the surrounding Buddies for jumping up and shouting yes when we scored at the death). Zander and Vuja didnt really put a foot wrong in that first half and then in the second they were pish. I think that the midfield pushing so high up the pitch meant that they were under constant pressure every time St Mirren broke and they cannot handle that.

Jim Jeffries was at the game yesterday so he may not be overly keen having seen that performance.

• 2 weeks later...
‘Hearts would win wage war for Aberdeen FC’s Diamond’

Jambos step up bid for defender

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 24/03/2011

ABERDEEN FC boss Craig Brown today expressed fears he could be priced out in the battle to stop Zander Diamond going to Hearts.

Brown confirmed the Jam Tarts have stepped up their bid to snatch Aberdeen FC defender Diamond away from them in the summer.

Brown said: “We now have a fight on our hands to hold on to Zander."

Just let the cunt go!  :wave: