Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Zander's set to be a Jambo

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsUpdate/0,,10337~2391953,00.html

Latics have pulled off a major transfer coup by beating off stiff competition to capture top Scottish player Alexander 'Zander' Diamond.

:lolabove:

All that is left for Latics to do is to secure international clearance which will be done tomorrow.

I didn't realise that was required  :-\

width=320 height=264http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/javaImages/ae/7f/0,,10337~9797550,00.jpg[/img]

New Latics signing Zander Diamond is ready for a new challenge in his career.

After spending the whole of his playing days in Scotland, the 26-year-old is relishing the prospect of proving himself in England.

Diamond explained: "I cannot wait to get started. I spent nine years in the Scottish Premier League at Aberdeen and you can become stale.

"This is a fresh challenge and, when you look at the teams in League One, it is a competitive division.

"The chance to play in the cup competitions was also a major factor and a bonus and I cannot wait until the first day of the season."

Diamond says he felt, at the age of 26, the time was right for change and staying in Scotland would not benefit his career.

He continued: "It is a career-changing move for myself and the management and backroom staff sold the club to me.

"Once I had spoken to them, all I wanted to do was put pen to paper. I don't think the negotiations took that long which benefits both myself and the team.

"I cannot wait to get started."

Diamond says he was sold by the youth and enthusiasm at the club as well as a desire to do well.

"I have heard about last season and how the team faded. Now I am on board along with one or two others, hopefully we can put that right and stay in the top six," he explained.

Diamond added he is looking forward to working with and learning from Gerry Taggart, Latics No 2 and a former Northern Ireland international centre half.

After a week on trial at Boundary Park before signing, Diamond says he was struck by the friendliness of everybody and also the youth and exhuberance of the playing staff.

"They are a great bunch of lads who are young, enthusiastic and want to do well, and I want to be part of it which is why I signed," he said.

Diamond says career highlights including helping Aberdeen reach the last 32 of the UEFA Cup as well as scoring twice against Celtic in a 4-2 victory.

There are also memories of playing and captaining Scotland under-21s.

He says that is history and he is only looking forward and he believes the best years of his career are still ahead of him.

Diamond said: "My immediate goal is to do well here and I am not one who likes to look years into the future.

"I want to take each day and training session as it comes and I intend to enjoy every minute of it."

That is no doubt influenced by recent events as Diamond had been linked with a summer move to Hearts only for it to fall through due to a failed medical.

He says a problem with his ankle showed up on a medical, a legacy of surgery three years ago.

Diamond explained: "I have played 65/70 games since then without a problem. It is bizarre.

"In hindsight, it was probably a blessing in disguise as it has got me out of Scotland after nine years and given me the chance to play in England."

"looking forward to working with and learning from Gerry Taggart"

A mate of mine used to drink with Gerry in his local while he was at Bolton, when I say he drank with him my mate drank pints of lager while Taggart drank pints of Whisky. Zander should fit right in.

• 4 weeks later...

Frm an Oldham message board

i thought diamond was awesome today ano nonsense defender..

I'd add Diamond to the positives

Yes it was boys getting a lesson at times. Diamond did well,

Like the way diamond was shouting and ordering the back 4 about, exactly what we need

Diamond was 9/10 for me - MOM absolute rock

Diamond looks a good signing,you can see him picking up a few suspensions though

Back 4 were solid and Diamond is right up my street - proper center half!!!

:o :o

Final score from Boundary Park

Oldham Athletic 0-2 Sheffield United