Wednesday 19th June 2024

Euro 2024 -  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland v 🇨🇭Switzerland

kick-off 8pm

Next manager

14 minutes ago, sancho_panza said:

To me this is just a function of chairmen generally having no idea how to judge managers. Most of them use a trial and error approach and are led by results alone. If a monkey throwing darts at a club calendar was getting results then he'd probably be viewed as a genius regardless of his methods.

Despite that, I think it is possible to judge a manager properly. It's not an exact science but there are certain traits most good managers tend to have - e.g. they often talk in specifics (player X needs to do this) whereas bad managers are overly general (battle, don't switch off, etc. - meaningless phrases that convey no actual information). You would also likely be better served looking at their track record of decision-making (i.e. did individual decisions in previous jobs make logical sense) rather than overall results, which can be skewed in the short-term by things that had nothing to do with the manager.

Obviously it's a lot harder than this in practice, but considering most clubs are still using the throwing spaghetti at a wall approach to hiring a manager, I'm not sure we'd have to be that smart to do better.

I think there’s a huge amount of luck involved. Things just have to work for you. I wonder how good goodwin would have been if he inherited a team like mcinnes did? McGhee did quite well at Motherwell hence we went for him. listen to martingale at livi, he doesn’t sound much different to john Hughes, but he seems to be doing ok.

look at Liverpool, did klopp go bad? I’ll even add, what if we drew with Celtic 0-0 and beat rangers 2-1, who knows how the next few games would have gone and we’d have goodwin still here for sure. It’s a tightrope spud…

It’s not possible to judge a manager properly, or people would get it right much more often. Track record says a lot, but luck and the players you inherit is huge. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Reekie_Red said:

Thank fuck! Id rather have Lennon/Lambert than that tool. And I DO NOT EVER WANT Lennon or Lambert. Hughes hates Aberdeen. He hated us when he was at Falkirk, he hated us when he was at Caley, hated us when he was at Jobs, at Ross County ... there's no love lost between both sides, and there's no way he will rescue Motherwell this season  

Will I put you down as no then Reekie ?

You do of course realise I was only jesting in my post 😉

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Reekie_Red said:

Thank fuck! Id rather have Lennon/Lambert than that tool. And I DO NOT EVER WANT Lennon or Lambert. Hughes hates Aberdeen. He hated us when he was at Falkirk, he hated us when he was at Caley, hated us when he was at Jobs, at Ross County ... there's no love lost between both sides, and there's no way he will rescue Motherwell this season  

Not that I want John Hughes at Aberdeen - but where is the "Hughes hates Aberdeen" stuff coming from?

One memory I had of him was after the 2014 final, I waited outside the main stand to see the team come out with the trophy and Hughes came out first and was very gracious, congratulating everyone. I don't think he has it in him to hate anyone.

• Like 2

On 14/02/2023 at 12:34, Panda said:

Filipe Martins is doing a sterling job with Casa Pia in the Portuguese league. Despite being minnows they are sixth in the table - just two points off a European place.

I reckon if I were to message the bookies, ask for odds on him, place a bet on him, message a few pals and say I've heard whispers we've spoken to him and they should stick a cheeky fiver on him, then I could get him in the running for the Aberdeen job by this time tomorrow.

Top work min.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/02/16/aberdeen-fans-told-they-must-wait-for-their-new-boss-18291246/

Among the names linked with the post, left vacant by Jim Goodwin’s 
sacking last month, are former Dons boss Derek McInnes, who is now at Kilmarnock, experienced Dutchman Ruud Brood and Filipe Martins, who is head coach of Portuguese side Casa Pia.

• Haha 3

A leftfield suggestion, but my preference would be for Hemin Fahzát - up and coming coach who was part of the management team at MTK Budapest prior to György Bognár coming in, so has worked with both Miovski and Ramadani in the past and hopefully knows how to get the best out of them.

Panda, make it happen.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, OxfordDon said:

A leftfield suggestion, but my preference would be for Hemin Fahzát - up and coming coach who was part of the management team at MTK Budapest prior to György Bognár coming in, so has worked with both Miovski and Ramadani in the past and hopefully knows how to get the best out of them.

Panda, make it happen.

Would only work if he forms a partnership with his goalie coach colleague Domika Contovit

Edited by tom_widdows
  • Haha 1

Some absolutely incredible chat on sportsound this afternoon about our next manager.

Allan Preston: why is it taking them so long? They should’ve appointed someone by now. They clearly don’t have a clue what they’re doing.

God: You’re right, I think they’re scared to make an appointment. Everyone knows when it comes to picking a manager you look at the evidence, make your best guess and hope for the best.

Michael Stewart: They need someone with experience and if Strachan is genuinely interested they should be snapping his hand off.

Absolutely wild stuff. Not even a mention of a new chief exec starting in just over a week or anything. Complete dinosaurs making it clear why they’re all on the radio rather than coaching, managing or running clubs.

Edited by wee toon red
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

Some absolutely incredible chat on sportsound this afternoon about our next manager.

Allan Preston: why is it taking them so long? They should’ve appointed someone by now.

God: You’re right, I think they’re scared to make an appointment.

Michael Stewart: They need someone with experience and if Strachan is genuinely interested they should be snapping his hand off.

Don’t know where you’re coming from there, wee toon Red. I agree with every word above, they need to just crack on and appoint someone experienced ASAP. Really not sure what they are waiting for.

Edited by wokinginashearerwonderland

2 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Don’t know where you’re coming from there, wee toon Red. I agree with every word above, they need to just crack on and appoint someone experienced ASAP. Really not sure what they are waiting for.

Michael Stewart was apopletic when Craig Levein's name was brought up!

19 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I’m getting at Cormack having made a rip roaring cunt of the two appointments he’s made so far. He’s really got to get this one right - or leave it to Burrows - or he’ll be on a very sticky wicket himself. Rushing an appointment or effectively guessing at who he should give the job two are not going to increase the odds of him getting it right this time, and giving it to Strachan would be absolutely mental.

Having a new man coming in to run the club in 9 days and appointing a manager before he gets in would be almost criminal.

3 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Disagree totally. If we could get a manager with Strachan’s pedigree we should not be hesitating. Total no brainer for me.

What pedigree?
Take out the free hit which is Celtic and he hasn't exactly set the heather alight. Spent lots of money at the clubs he managed too for little return.
He was generous enough to stick £600k in the dons coffers for Lee Miller though

Edited by tom_widdows
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Disagree totally. If we could get a manager with Strachan’s pedigree we should not be hesitating. Total no brainer for me.

We can get a manager with Strachan's pedigree - Lennon. I wouldn't want either near pittodrie, but I'd choose Lennon at gun point. I gave up watching Scotland after the Lithuania game cause of that arrogant little prick and his pathetic schtick in his interview. I cut managers a great degree of slack in their post match conferences, but Strachan was calculated with the attitude of a total arsehole. His recent appointment of McGhee at Dundee showed complete disrespect to that club and again showed his arrogance. Happy for him to still exist as a club legend, but his reputation would be in tatters if he ever joined the club. He's simply not a good enough manager to carry his twattishness.

12 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

We can get a manager with Strachan's pedigree - Lennon. I wouldn't want either near pittodrie, but I'd choose Lennon at gun point. I gave up watching Scotland after the Lithuania game cause of that arrogant little prick and his pathetic schtick in his interview. I cut managers a great degree of slack in their post match conferences, but Strachan was calculated with the attitude of a total arsehole. His recent appointment of McGhee at Dundee showed complete disrespect to that club and again showed his arrogance. Happy for him to still exist as a club legend, but his reputation would be in tatters if he ever joined the club. He's simply not a good enough manager to carry his twattishness.

Agree with pretty much all of that although even at gun point I wouldn’t take Lennon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1