Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer transfer window

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spearing...aye right. He was reportedly one of Boltons highest earners. If he signs for us I'll get his face tattood on my right bollock.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/15397848.Wanderers_sever_ties_with_ex_captain_Spearing/

Careful with that.

I still have Ash Taylor and Reynolds on both my erse cheeks and a gaping hole in the middle of that defence.

:(

Bit of chatter about Williamson now too, ex newcastle defender.  Seems to be a bit of confussion whether the bid was £250k or £400k for Moult.  Wouldn't want to go much higher than that although it might be the difference for Motherwell to staying in the league or not.

Would be worried about this Williamson geezer, Geordie workmate reckons he's the worst player he's ever seen, good enough in the air but a disaster with the ba at his feet, remind you of anyone?

Whats the script with Scott McKenna  :dunno:

Was apparently one of the most promising central defenders in the country about three years ago.

Is he ever going ot make the step up to first team action or is playing for thel ikes of Ayr United his true level  ???

Not even sure Ayr is McKenna's level seeing as he struggled to get a start for much of the season. And Sibbald has found his level at Luton. If the likes of Motherwell or Partick aren't interested in taking a punt on him then I certainly don't think we should be.

Whats the script with Scott McKenna  :dunno:

Was apparently one of the most promising central defenders in the country about three years ago.

Is he ever going ot make the step up to first team action or is playing for thel ikes of Ayr United his true level  ???

I thought McKenna was way out of his depth when he played for the first toward the end of the season a couple of seasons back. He looked slow to turn and lumbering in the challenge and poor with the ball at his feet. He was good in the air though and was big. I was very surprised when I read on various forums of how ace he was, I just didn't see it. I think it was from folk who were having a go at Reynolds at the time and were in some way associating Reynolds poor performances with McKenna's okay performances as if that was some benchmark. I dinna think McKenna will make it as I don't think he is good enough, and I don't believe he was ever that promising other than in the minds of a few dons fans.

Also, Sibbald is a first division player. He's basically Kallum Higginbotham. Nae good enough.

Still no Maloney news? Or have I missed something?

Seems like 'replacing Hayes and McGinn with similar quality players' has turned out to be a load of shite so far.... :dunno:

Don't blame anyone for not renewing ST's until the board put their money where their mouths are.

Daily Record making a poll regarding Michael O'Halloran? For what it's worth, and I stated it last week, I would take him, I think most of us would pre-hun move, and he's certainly a ball carrier, definitely has good pace and can score, for whatever reason it's not worked at Mordor, probably due to mismanagement, who knows. Don't think it will happen, but wouldn't be against it if it did.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/would-rangers-winger-michael-ohalloran-10769209#ICID=nsm

can O'Halloran play centre half ? its a solid defender we need the most, Reynolds can play crap and he will know we have no-one to replace him with. we need cover at the back

I agree wholeheartedly, and for what it's worth, we are still eligible to register a wild card player before the first qualifying round, up to 11pm on Wednesday evening, so it's still very possible that will be sorted, problem is, it has to be someone who is ready to play, or at least be on the bench.

We are really trying to sign Maloney, but McInnes has already said he's weeks away from being ready, so it won't be him, we need a player who is as close to being as fit as the rest of the squad as possible.

Unless of course he believes we will get bye Siroki with the current defenders and then add a player from the Championship, like a Hector etc...

If he isnt good enough for sevco he sure as f@ck aint good enough for us. He's just a taller version of Mackie. 6k a week he is on too. I want him to sit still and see out his contract at der hun ( it lasts till 2020  :rofl:) bleeding those zombies dry...

can O'Halloran play centre half ? its a solid defender we need the most, Reynolds can play crap and he will know we have no-one to replace him with. we need cover at the back

But it's not urgent though is it? We've got a decent back four (as good as last season anyway), plus we've got Considine to cover for Reynolds, Shinnie at left back etc. We need folk in that can win us games in the early rounds of Europe. Our starting eleven, defensively, hasn't been weakened, but every other area of the pitch has. Repairing that disparity is clearly more of an issue, which should be prioritised. Then we concentrate on getting a good defender in.

But it's not urgent though is it? We've got a decent back four (as good as last season anyway), plus we've got Considine to cover for Reynolds, Shinnie at left back etc. We need folk in that can win us games in the early rounds of Europe. Our starting eleven, defensively, hasn't been weakened, but every other area of the pitch has. Repairing that disparity is clearly more of an issue, which should be prioritised. Then we concentrate on getting a good defender in.

I'd agree with this, and I think our priority should be the defensive midfield position. We've lost Robson, Flood, then Jack, and I don't think Storie is considered the solution. We don't really have any heavy lifters in the middle of the park - don't see O'Connor good enough in there, don't see Tansey as a holding mid, McLean is awful in this role, and Shinnie is not a holding mid......plus I think we need Shinnie's attacking play and left peg given the players we've lost!

Jay Spearing rumors were floating around and I think he'd be a good fit but I don't see us affording him, but this to me is a huge position we need to fill. A strong player here protects the back 4 and helps the central defenders - we've been weak in there too over the last year or so and that, to me, is in part due to a weak holding mid.

And yes, I'd take O'Halloran in a heart beat. Fell out of favor at Rangers (like McGinn did at Celtic to an extent) so would come with a point to prove. We saw at St J that he can play. For width we're relying on getting an aging 34 year old who is not fit and can't pass a medical, Scott Wright who has played one good game, Miles Storey who has been linked with a move away, and Greg Stewart who I honestly don't know what his best position is. I'd say we could afford O'Halloran and would like to think he'd take a cut in wages to get playing and get his career back on track.....plus European football!

I thought our defence was probably the weakest area last season, it's not got any better now. Logan's solid, although he does tend to drift out of position now and again, Considine is turning into a surprisingly capable left back, but the middle is a concern. Any rejigging to pull consi into CD sees Shinnie return to left back, which isn't a problem other than he's also a bloody good midfielder as well.

I see today though that we're being strongly linked with taking GMS on a season long loan. Not exactly overly happy with that idea.

I thought our defence was probably the weakest area last season, it's not got any better now. Logan's solid, although he does tend to drift out of position now and again, Considine is turning into a surprisingly capable left back, but the middle is a concern. Any rejigging to pull consi into CD sees Shinnie return to left back, which isn't a problem other than he's also a bloody good midfielder as well.

That wasn't the point I made though. The point was that it is the one area that we haven't weakened the first eleven. Our defence of last season is much stronger than our attack of last season minus Hayes and McGinn, and also stronger than our midfield minus Jack. That is the comparison to be made, not our attack of last season v defence of last season as you have stated. We haven't replaced Hayes, who has been our most important player of the last couple of seasons. Whilst we could easily improve our defence, we need to first get our other parts of the pitch up to at least the same standard as last season, which we haven't done yet. That said, priorities shouldn't really be an issue given that we have known for some time which positions we'll need. I'd have expected several defenders, midfielders and strikers to have been scouted and options weighed up; it doesn't need to be one or the other.

Although, personally, I thought our striker role was the weakest last season, with 2 of the 3 being poor and one not hitting top form. In January, our defence was good enough for the remainder of the season, but a good striker might just have given us enough to win a cup. I'm not 100% certain Maynard resolves this.

I have to say that a right sided central defender has to be the priority right now. We are going in to Europe with 3 recognised central defenders, one of whom however is used mainly as a left back. The nature of playing the position is that injuries like concussion are par for the course and red cards are also an occupational hazard. Should one of these happen to O'Conner then we either pair up 2 lefties in central defence or we bring in one of the under 20s, neither of which is an appealing thought facing an away leg in Bosnia unless we have a commanding lead.

I thought we would have bust a gut to get Moult in over the weekend but looks like this is dead in the water too