Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen vs Celtic

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unnecessary change has fucked the whole team.

I don't see this. Ok, Considine hadn't played for a month (nor was he even on the bench for the last two games) but I can understand reintroducing him as LB for this one to put Shinnie back in midfield. We've been saying for a long time that we're not strong enough in the middle of the park. McInnes has missed umpteen transfer windows to get some quality. Ball, GMS and Stewart are not quality. Shoe-horning Shinnie into midfield against the champions, unbeaten in ages was understandable because without GS in midfield, it would've been even worse but this is the whole problem. We're not good enough to compete on our budget v. Celtic by having our best players not in their best position. We should be raising standards all over the pitch, not shoe-horning fill-ins.

It's not fucking rocket science.

It certainly isn't.

His specific crime is that he's not a winner. He will go cautious on Wednesday and we will get fucked because of it.

He will also do something tombola-like to kid himself that he's some sort of tactical genius.

Playing Consi at LB was cautious, it was common sense, it was risk-free in terms of him getting pelters. At least he didn’t do a crazy experiment tonight. But it was never going to work.

I’m sick fed up of us bottling big games and I fear a howler coming up.

I didn't expect Celtic to be that good though.

Aye, agreed Rocket, it wasn't the worst idea. When you look at that bench, there simply wasn't another option for that midfield slot. Even Shinnie got bullied a lot of the night. As I said at the beginning of the thread, we didn't have the room for Rooney and May. As soon as you see those two on the teamsheet, you do as Rogers did and play 3 at the back and the extra man in midfield. At that point, the dons are left with Rooney chasing from left to right and back again, something he was never going to maintain, because we simply didn't have the option of changing without a sub. For the second goal, Rooney was left to chase Brown the full width of the pitch to attempt to stop him getting the easy throw. He was too slow (obviously) and the attack was on its way. We had to play the extra midfielder/winger in there today. At least with that approach you have the option of sending one of them (McLean) further forward if needed.

Anyway, Celtic were very good tonight, especially in midfield. Tierney is some player.

None of the bookings received by dons players were close to as blatant as the one that should have been given to Dembele for the cynical dive in the box. We obviously just ignore those now. The ref was a total dick.

No good performances in a dons top tonight unfortunately. I don't think I'd single out any as worse than others.

Well, i'm pretty fucking pissed off having endured that shit tonight!

I doubt the dhims will get an easier game all season.

Why the fuck we sat back and let them do what they want, even beyond the halfway line is beyond me, it just breeds negativity amongst the team. If the players had been instructed to go at them and force them into mistakes (like Bayern and PSG did) if would have got the fans on side which in turn should have helped spur them on. It was just dreadful sitting watching that. Even when the dhims were 1 up they were still flinging themselves at Joe in an effort to close him down. How DM expected to get a result against them with that approach i'll never know! Utter horse shit!

If the players aren't fit enough to chase down the opposition (which i've been questioning all season) then that too is down to the management team. There's no excuse for our players not being fit and you don't need to be a supreme athlete to do so, so no point in referring to my PSG and Bayern points.

Oh and Craig Fucking Thompson really excelled himself tonight.... what a spineless fucking prick!

Fucking pissed off with that... did i say?!

Celtic had the luxury of changing their team by leaving out Griffiths, Sinclair and Roberts, replacing them with Dembele, Rogic and Forrest. We had to leave out Christie and replace him with Considine.

They're operating in a different stratosphere and the fact that they haven't lost a domestic game since whenever proves it. It isn't worth stressing out over tonight's game, we're still in second, that's where we'll finish the season and probably every other one in the foreseeable future.

Celtic had the luxury of changing their team by leaving out Griffiths, Sinclair and Roberts, replacing them with Dembele, Rogic and Forrest. We had to leave out Christie and replace him with Considine.

They're operating in a different stratosphere and the fact that they haven't lost a domestic game since whenever proves it. It isn't worth stressing out over tonight's game, we're still in second, that's where we'll finish the season and probably every other one in the foreseeable future.

While I understand what you are saying and an over reaction isn't necessary, if we want to reach the next level......more finals, cup wins, group stage of Europe etc.......then we need to fix centre mid big time. Flood, Robson, and Jack were replaced by OConnor and Shinnie which isn't good enough. I like Shinnie in midfield but that's because we're weak in the middle, but ideally he stays at left back. We really lack the bite and engine in the middle of the park. We need two good central midfielders, probably 3 with McLean leaving. We have the squad capable of finishing second, probably, but that's it.

I don't see this. Ok, Considine hadn't played for a month (nor was he even on the bench for the last two games) but I can understand reintroducing him as LB for this one to put Shinnie back in midfield. We've been saying for a long time that we're not strong enough in the middle of the park. McInnes has missed umpteen transfer windows to get some quality. Ball, GMS and Stewart are not quality. Shoe-horning Shinnie into midfield against the champions, unbeaten in ages was understandable because without GS in midfield, it would've been even worse but this is the whole problem. We're not good enough to compete on our budget v. Celtic by having our best players not in their best position. We should be raising standards all over the pitch, not shoe-horning fill-ins.

It certainly isn't.

Playing Consi at LB was cautious, it was common sense, it was risk-free in terms of him getting pelters. At least he didn’t do a crazy experiment tonight. But it was never going to work.

I didn't expect Celtic to be that good though.

I'm not denying Celtic have vastly superior players to us, of course they should do. But what I didn't like was the manager using that as a reason as to why we lost. We lost because he himself does not believe we can beat them. Other teams with less of a budget than ours manage to give them a game or At least try. Considine has not played in a long time, a time in which we've started to play better. That defence needed to remain the same in my opinion. He needed to show faith. Consi wasnt responsible for all the goals, Logan was for one of them, but I think we need to accept that changing personnel at the back was the wrong move, hes done it enough times now to know it doesn't work. I can perfectly see the logic in moving Shinnie to mid but I think we needed a stronger Base and take them on the counter. They're always going to have plenty of the ball but we needed composure at the back. A common understanding.

Only one player in midfield needed to be replaced, with another possible addition (if you drop Rooney or may). We may have lost more, but at least we'd have tried something he hasn't tried against them for a long time. Faith. It's clear we need to add to the middle of the park, I really hope that DM finally realises this.

Don't think I've really articulated what want to say, just gutted. Fucking rain over here gave me a reason to watch it. On to the next one I guess.

No worse than anyone else. The whole team were just outclassed. Brenda outwitted DM tactically but tonight has sadly shown me that we are light years behind Celtic in every department. There may be a case that Joe could replace Gordon in the Celtic side ( its a toss up as far as I'm concerned) but only Shinnie and Christie of our squad of outfield players would even make their bench....

Nips & Tatties... fook sake min, i know it's Monday morning but i'm thinking you'd be best staying away from sharp objects just now.  ::)

You were saying?

Hate to say I was right with 3-0 them but..I was right.

It's utterly obvious that would happen.

Does anyone want to chat about formations and that's why we are losing games????

As I said after the Apollo game, it's got fuck all to do with SOLELY formations. Our players aren't good enough.

Rooney was great for us yes, he's a spent force now unless we play Dumbarton or someone.

May lost the ball countless times.He needs to turn around and play the ball back sometimes.

Lewis was at fault for the first goal I would say.amazing shot by Tierney but stand up to the ball at such a tight angle Joe ffs.he bent over and let the ball hit the back of the net.absolute shocker IMO.

Losing to them is annoying but expected.they have quality x3 in every position compared to us.

Christie wouldn't have made any difference.

We need a few more players.

I'd even try Maynard and May up front and stick to it.

Wright should be a starter in the team.what does the lad have to do DM?

Ah well...ref didn't help much but it was a foregone conclusion.

Hard to admit but some of Celtics link up play and passing was tremendous.

This is a team playing in the champions league every year against the best teams on the planet.doesnt matter if they're losing.thyere gaining experience, ideas and lots of money.

We MUST spend money to make sure we get to the Europe play offs.if we don't as we haven't then what's the point of all this shit?

we could win the league...great..we could win cups..great but Europe is where we need to be performing regularly.

Spend some fucking money and get some quality ffs.

Milne had the chance to spend a few seasons back when Delila was at our mercy.huge mistake!

And of course, Celtic won the league.

Anyway, keeping the Huns below us is I suppose, mildly interesting.

:-\

There’s no point in playing 2 up front unless it’s in the traditional target man and poacher combination. The way we play football means one of the strikers inevitably ends up playing out wide where they don’t have the pace and trickery to do any damage.

I don’t think any full back in the league is going to break into a sweat if they’re up against Rooney, GMS or Stewart. Especially Stewart, you know every time he’s going to try to cut inside onto his left foot.

You were saying?

Hate to say I was right with 3-0 them but..I was right.

It's utterly obvious that would happen.

Does anyone want to chat about formations and that's why we are losing games????

As I said after the Apollo game, it's got fuck all to do with SOLELY formations. Our players aren't good enough.

Let me stop you there.

You look like you’re hurting. You look like you’re squirming.

You got put down when you spoke some shit and you’re in denial that wot you said was wrong.

If you know so much about fitba that you can predict games so precisely, perhaps you should hit the bookies.

You’re saying, as you’ve said before that it’s all about the players. At least you’re acknowledging now that formations, tactics and strategy exists but I would’ve thought you might have touched on the bigger issue, the biggest issue, knowing so much about football as you do.

In individual sports, the biggest influence separating the best from the rest is DESIRE. The desire to work harder than the rest. The desire to work smarter than the rest. That’s not opinion. It’s fact. Confidence, self belief and expectation (that you win) comes on top of putting the miles in.

In team situations, the manager is responsible for the overall performance, not the players, which he recruits and selects of course. If they’re not good enough, he didn’t do his job. In this instance however, the financial disparity is huge. As it was in the 70’s and 80’s.

One former AFC manager was expert in shaping mindsets in players, bullying them to be the best they can be and recognising naturally-occurring winner mentalities, born from ruthlessness and desire.

If everything is as “utterly obvious” to an expert like you, I’m surprised you don’t even discuss the role and function of the biggest influence in team sport but choose to focus only on the players.

And by the way, formations haven’t been losing games. That’s the first and only defeat of the Premier season.

I'm not denying Celtic have vastly superior players to us, of course they should do. But what I didn't like was the manager using that as a reason as to why we lost. We lost because he himself does not believe we can beat them. Other teams with less of a budget than ours manage to give them a game or At least try. Considine has not played in a long time, a time in which we've started to play better. That defence needed to remain the same in my opinion. He needed to show faith. Consi wasnt responsible for all the goals, Logan was for one of them, but I think we need to accept that changing personnel at the back was the wrong move, hes done it enough times now to know it doesn't work. I can perfectly see the logic in moving Shinnie to mid but I think we needed a stronger Base and take them on the counter. They're always going to have plenty of the ball but we needed composure at the back. A common understanding.

Only one player in midfield needed to be replaced, with another possible addition (if you drop Rooney or may). We may have lost more, but at least we'd have tried something he hasn't tried against them for a long time. Faith. It's clear we need to add to the middle of the park, I really hope that DM finally realises this.

Don't think I've really articulated what want to say, just gutted. Fucking rain over here gave me a reason to watch it. On to the next one I guess.

EXACTLY.

We MUST spend money to make sure we get to the Europe play offs.if we don't as we haven't then what's the point of all this shit?

we could win the league...great..we could win cups..great but Europe is where we need to be performing regularly.

Utter skitters.

It's about winning things, not getting into a group stage in europe to get horsed by teams getting a doggies chance after falling out of the champions league.  I couldn't give one fuck about europe  if we won a trophy every other year or so

There’s no point in playing 2 up front unless it’s in the traditional target man and poacher combination. The way we play football means one of the strikers inevitably ends up playing out wide where they don’t have the pace and trickery to do any damage.

I don’t think any full back in the league is going to break into a sweat if they’re up against Rooney, GMS or Stewart. Especially Stewart, you know every time he’s going to try to cut inside onto his left foot.

^^^^This (although there were only wing backs for them, which was one of our problems). It's one of the biggest reasons I wanted Moult and not May at the beginning of the season. I think Rooney and May will be fine against a lot of teams this season, they're not a partnership that will play off each other. They're not a genuine front 2 as neither are target men. It should have been very obvious that Rooney's pace wasn't going to be the answer last night and he should have made way for Wright. That said, I can see Wright's limitations in a game like that one too. Our problems were glaringly obvious when looking at the bench at half time last night. There was nothing that was going to change that team for the better.

Forgot to mention, highlight of last night was McKenna hoofing thon cunt up front for them. Miles out of position like and a little worrying that he thought that he should have been anywhere near where he was, but he dealt with it in the best possible way.

Let me stop you there.

You look like you’re hurting. You look like you’re squirming.

You got put down when you spoke some shit and you’re in denial that wot you said was wrong.

If you know so much about fitba that you can predict games so precisely, perhaps you should hit the bookies.

You’re saying, as you’ve said before that it’s all about the players. At least you’re acknowledging now that formations, tactics and strategy exists but I would’ve thought you might have touched on the bigger issue, the biggest issue, knowing so much about football as you do.

In individual sports, the biggest influence separating the best from the rest is DESIRE. The desire to work harder than the rest. The desire to work smarter than the rest. That’s not opinion. It’s fact. Confidence, self belief and expectation (that you win) comes on top of putting the miles in.

In team situations, the manager is responsible for the overall performance, not the players, which he recruits and selects of course. If they’re not good enough, he didn’t do his job. In this instance however, the financial disparity is huge. As it was in the 70’s and 80’s.

One former AFC manager was expert in shaping mindsets in players, bullying them to be the best they can be and recognising naturally-occurring winner mentalities, born from ruthlessness and desire.

If everything is as “utterly obvious” to an expert like you, I’m surprised you don’t even discuss the role and function of the biggest influence in team sport but choose to focus only on the players.

And by the way, formations haven’t been losing games. That’s the first and only defeat of the Premier season.

Let me stop you there.youre hurting you're talking pish.

It's a fact that if we had the desire to beat Celtic last night, we would have? :rofl:

Can Partick Thistle beat Barcelona if they have the desire?

You don't half talk utter shite ya rocket.

It's about skill in players mostly.formations and experience playing with each other week in week out also helps hugely but if you don't have the proper skill then you can desire all you want.you won't get round a player with desire.lthats skill. FACT.

have you ever played sports nevermind football? Just asking.

Also I also acknowledged formations from the start if you go back and read what I wrote.

I think the problem here is your a wee bit pissed off at me because I questioned your musical taste or something.get over it rocket.its a forum bro.

It was obvious we would be beaten last night..nobody's trying to be an expert.

You keep dreaming about beating Celtic and I'll keep living in reality ok.

Practice and skill is the most influential property of becoming successful at any sport.

Luck, desire, fitness, a good sleep, a winning mentality and a few other aspects come into it but essentially skill is the biggie.

Hope that cleared it up for you...it was hard to write with me hurting so much like.

:thumbsup:

Utter skitters.

It's about winning things, not getting into a group stage in europe to get horsed by teams getting a doggies chance after falling out of the champions league.  I couldn't give one fuck about europe  if we won a trophy every other year or so

Sorry but how do you win things?

Money...

We need the financial benefits of Europe to buy better players, become a better team equipped for our domestic league and thus Europe again.

No brainer.

Sorry but how do you win things?

Money...

We need the financial benefits of Europe to buy better players, become a better team equipped for our domestic league and thus Europe again.

No brainer.

We're entirely equipped for our domestic league as results show. We're just not equipped to challenge Celtic, who are not equipped for our domestic league.

Not if the hun overtake us or we somehow dont get into europe next year.

It could happen.

But anyone who feels europa and champs league isnt quintessential to our success is not wanting the best for the dons.

We all want us to get the best out of our team right?

For me thats more than the SPFL.apparently for some its not.

Its like Murray winning the Cincinnati major but never getting to wimbledon.

What's the point of not trying for the ultimate prize?

The fans want it..the manager and players want it. Im sure of that.

We just need to upgrade and spend a little.

Not if the hun overtake us or we somehow dont get into europe next year.

It could happen.

But anyone who feels europa and champs league isnt quintessential to our success is not wanting the best for the dons.

We all want us to get the best out of our team right?

For me thats more than the SPFL.apparently for some its not.

Its like Murray winning the Cincinnati major but never getting to wimbledon.

What's the point of not trying for the ultimate prize?

The fans want it..the manager and players want it. Im sure of that.

We just need to upgrade and spend a little.

Jesus fuck. It's impossible to win in Europe now ffs. You've just said we can't even win domestically, which isn't totally true, but for sure we're never winning the UEFA cup when it gets filled with champions league rejects halfway through. Bonkers min.

Jesus fuck. It's impossible to win in Europe now ffs. You've just said we can't even win domestically, which isn't totally true, but for sure we're never winning the UEFA cup when it gets filled with champions league rejects halfway through. Bonkers min.

Calm down and read what i am saying k.

Striving to win europa isnt winning it.

But along the way u pick up experience...ideas from better players and MONEY.

We cant beat Celtic and win rhe SPFL at present is my point.

But we can get to europa league stages if we soend a bit of money.

We will then get a return financially and grow.

You getting it yet? Whats so hard to understand  :neutral:

Sad fact is we cannot win the league under the present circumstances. Celtic have far too good a squad and have the revenue streams from the Champions League ( and also 50000+ season tickets) to ensure that it stays that way ad infinitum. Even sevco cannot get anywhere near them despite having a budget of a least 5 times greater than ours, maybe more.

As things stand we are doing well to stay above sevco in the league, that has to be our ambition for as long as possible. We should also be able to win a cup every 2 or 3 seasons or so. And I'm afraid that is it as far as our ambitions should lie under present circumstances. European football should be considered a nice wee bonus and indeed given a fortunate draw...which we actually did get this season but underperformed...we could even qualofy for the group stages now and again. However Hibs are getting stronger under Lennon and surely Fartz have to stop being a joke at some point. We are going to face a stronger challenge to be "best of the rest" fairly soon.

The uncertainty of our future with the new stadium, wherever it ends up being built is also a big distraction. I fear we will lose DM fairly soon if we don't at least get a dedicated training centre built. Ultimately though, unless we can attract a dirty great sugar daddy willing to spend great wodges of cash, it will still be second place we are playing for. Cormack has 630 million or so. Get those purse strings loosened min!

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Nips..far exactly is a this money comin fae?  Yiv seen fit can happen wi the huns spending 10M+ and they are still shite.  If we spent that kinda money the club would be a gonner. 

It takes MEGA money to mak ony difference nowadays.  We've got a good team..........it's jist that Celtic have an advantage that nae team has EVER had.  Even back at the start o the ninties we were signing dutch internationals!  The game has just changed.  Nae embarrassment in finishing second in the current climate.

Disgraceful performance. We gave them the luxury of time on the ball and yet we never got a seconds peace. Why we so often do this against the cheeks I can't for the life of me understand. I don't believe they're so much fitter than us. There's no excuse for that. They've had 8 games in the last month and although they have a bigger squad they're been using mostly the same players. Aye they have a luxury bench compared to us that's for sure but my issue isn't with being beaten by a better team. It's with being beaten before we stepped onto the park. It's with being beaten whilst not trying. It's with being beaten playing like pussies. It's with being beaten whilst being out-fought. Shite. I've had enough of it.