Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen vs Celtic

Sad fact is we cannot win the league under the present circumstances. Celtic have far too good a squad and have the revenue streams from the Champions League ( and also 50000+ season tickets) to ensure that it stays that way ad infinitum. Even sevco cannot get anywhere near them despite having a budget of a least 5 times greater than ours, maybe more.

As things stand we are doing well to stay above sevco in the league, that has to be our ambition for as long as possible. We should also be able to win a cup every 2 or 3 seasons or so. And I'm afraid that is it as far as our ambitions should lie under present circumstances. European football should be considered a nice wee bonus and indeed given a fortunate draw...which we actually did get this season but underperformed...we could even qualofy for the group stages now and again. However Hibs are getting stronger under Lennon and surely Fartz have to stop being a joke at some point. We are going to face a stronger challenge to be "best of the rest" fairly soon.

The uncertainty of our future with the new stadium, wherever it ends up being built is also a big distraction. I fear we will lose DM fairly soon if we don't at least get a dedicated training centre built. Ultimately though, unless we can attract a dirty great sugar daddy willing to spend great wodges of cash, it will still be second place we are playing for. Cormack has 630 million or so. Get those purse strings loosened min!

Yup^^^

Kiriakov..our answer ^

He's loaded  ;D

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disgraceful performance. We gave them the luxury of time on the ball and yet we never got a seconds peace. Why we so often do this against the cheeks I can't for the life of me understand. I don't believe they're so much fitter than us. There's no excuse for that. They've had 8 games in the last month and although they have a bigger squad they're been using mostly the same players. Aye they have a luxury bench compared to us that's for sure but my issue isn't with being beaten by a better team. It's with being beaten before we stepped onto the park. It's with being beaten whilst not trying. It's with being beaten playing like pussies. It's with being beaten whilst being out-fought. Shite. I've had enough of it.

McInnes was yet again out thought by Brenda. Playing Rooney was just bizarre when you need to press Celtic constantly high up the pitch. We needed 5 in midfield to do that. Admittedly not being able to use Christie didn't help but putting in Consi at left back was madness. He is good enough to be there against most teams in the league but Celtic have pace everywhere in their team and poor old Consi looks like he is running through treacle whenever he is faced by one of them running at him.

The good thing is sevco also dropped points ( comically so) and it isn' inconceivable that by Saturday evening we actually could have extended our lead over sevco in the league. That has to be our focus from now on this season.  Scottish Cup is also a reasonable expectation as by that point Celtic will have played well over 10 games more than us and possibly a good bit more than that if they can get a Europa cup run going....we should be fresher come season's end.

Just keep expectations realistic for the time being...

McInnes was yet again out thought by Brenda. Playing Rooney was just bizarre when you need to press Celtic constantly high up the pitch. We needed 5 in midfield to do that. Admittedly not being able to use Christie didn't help but putting in Consi at left back was madness. He is good enough to be there against most teams in the league but Celtic have pace everywhere in their team and poor old Consi looks like he is running through treacle whenever he is faced by one of them running at him.

I agree entirely about Rooney, but what was the alternative to Considine bearing in mind Tansey clearly wasn't fit to start? If you're replacing Rooney with Wright let's say, that leaves Stewart, Ross or Ball to play in midfield instead of Shinnie. Whilst we may have been more secure at left back, we'd have been destroyed in midfield with either of those three (harsh on Ross of course, I think he'll be a great player soon). I've seen several criticisms of playing Considine and moving Shinnie to midfield, but in Christie and Tansey's absence I haven't yet heard a better alternative, can you say what that would have been? To add, I think Considine would have greatly benefited from the 5 man midfield as Forrest/Rogic wouldn't have had 10 yards to run at him prior to taking him on. That'd be the same for Logan on the opposite side, although he at least got some support from GMS in the first half. The midfield 5 might have meant that O'Connor didn't spend the entire game slowly chasing shadows too.

It's easy to say we should have had a proper go at them, but Dembele had Arnason on the ropes a couple of times right after their first goal, and McKenna was getting dragged into the centre of the pitch too often. They would have picked us off with ease if we played further up the park.

Consi to centre half alongside mckenna where he wouldnt be exposed so much to pace on the outside. Kari to midfield holding alongside AOC. Purely a pragmatic one game solution where getting out with a draw would be seen as a decent outcome.

May still have got beaten anyway but as I have already said....Consi is fine at left back against most of the league and his physical presence is useful especially at attacking set pieces but against genuine pace he is a dead loss there. as proven by the Motherwell cup humping and last night.

It's easy to say we should have had a proper go at them, but Dembele had Arnason on the ropes a couple of times right after their first goal, and McKenna was getting dragged into the centre of the pitch too often. They would have picked us off with ease if we played further up the park.

As opposed to being picked off with ease whilst sitting in?

Well that was rather shite.We just couldnt get near them.When we had the ball there never seemed to be someone available to pass to.We needed to be far quicker in thought and movement.Didnt work hard enough in those areas,though to be fair, Celtic were quick and alert to snuffing anything out.

Wouldnt personally have played Considine or Rooney,but not sure it would have mattered on the Tims form.Can only hope Rogers gets bored soon and a Liam Brady type appointment comes in  :-\

You getting it yet? Whats so hard to understand  :neutral:

Watch your attitude min. This front of intellectual superiority coming with full condescension is ugly.

Let me stop you there.youre hurting you're talking pish.

It's a fact that if we had the desire to beat Celtic last night, we would have? :rofl:

Can Partick Thistle beat Barcelona if they have the desire?

You don't half talk utter shite ya rocket.

I made the necessary distinction between individual sports and team sports. You missed this vital distinction because you either didn't read simple words carefully enough or you didn't understand the distinction, or probably both. You possibly don't work with high-earning sportsmen nor would you be involved in coaching coaches would be my wild guess.

It's about skill in players mostly.formations and experience playing with each other week in week out also helps hugely but if you don't have the proper skill then you can desire all you want.you won't get round a player with desire.lthats skill. FACT.

Not only did you miss the distinction, and therefore the whole point and context of the "pish" I was talking, you're obviously not educated about the work ethic v. skill debate in high performance sport, so eloquently and brilliantly described by Matthew Syed in his best-seller "Bounce". Daniel Coyle's "The Talent Code" made roughly the same conclusions but wasn't nearly as well expressed in my opinion.

have you ever played sports nevermind football? Just asking.

Wow! You're questioning MY qualifications for posting on this forum? That's rich from someone who can't even concentrate enough to complete a post without grammatical or spelling errors. You really want to compare what football levels we played at?

Have you ever been paid to improve sportspeople's performance and does your income depend on how good you are in this regard or otherwise? Have you even managed people?

Also I also acknowledged formations from the start if you go back and read what I wrote.

But HOW you said it above revealed that you hadn't gotten over it. Your pathetic responses after wrongly perceiving that those of us who disagreed with you were doing it for personal reasons (followed by your absence from the forum for a week or two) was hard to witness.

I think the problem here is your a wee bit pissed off at me because I questioned your musical taste or something.get over it rocket.its a forum bro.

That's the second or third time you've raised this. I ignored it before but can I refer you back to the thread? I didn't fall out with you because of our musical differences. I said that your posts smacked of intolerance and I pointed out you were being a total dick.

It was obvious we would be beaten last night..nobody's trying to be an expert.

You keep dreaming about beating Celtic and I'll keep living in reality ok.

Is it memory or comprehension issues that preceded this bit? I also forecasted a defeat, a "howler" in fact.

Practice and skill is the most influential property of becoming successful at any sport.

Luck, desire, fitness, a good sleep, a winning mentality and a few other aspects come into it but essentially skill is the biggie.

Hope that cleared it up for you...it was hard to write with me hurting so much like.

:thumbsup:

Practise AND skill? You don't understand the difference? Read more min. Start with Bounce. It's a phenomenal read.

A big piece of advice you might want to consider is this, if you're not too blind with rage by now to disable your capacity for reading and understanding, arguably already limited.

I didn't "have a go" at you. I was trying to point out the error of your ways. I'm good like that, a kind old benefactorial cuddly man, full of love for his fellow man, especially Dons fans but prone to inventing the odd word or three to fit a sentiment. This is indeed a forum and therefore it's not personal and never is, or at least it shouldn't be. I will refrain from repeating my counsel to you to "grow up" but please, before you fuck off for another extended period, have a wee think about it. None of us have all the answers. All of us have made mistakes, both in life and in posting shite occasionally (or at least presenting opinions wrongly as facts) to varying degrees, some more than others.

For your own good, try educating yourself. Read books. Your insecurity is pitiful.

N & T.

Timeline on BBC 2 just finished. Watch it on iPlayer when it becomes available, the last bit about the guy from Glasgow.

I guarantee that he had a much less fortunate start in life than you, I and 99.4%+ of posters on any AFC webchatspeaksite.

Yet he has "skills" and qualities that are superior to 99.7% of us. He's certainly a much better man than me anyway and in terms of social observation and the ability to communicate - areas I considered myself pretty expert in, or at least certainly better than the mean - he is phenomenal and a wonderfully inspiring mind.

His book "Poverty Safari" is available to download on 2nd November. I've just ordered it. I recommend it to you too. I'm certain that not only will it provide massive growths in our awareness of human nature - and I predict from an innovative, fresh and highly original angle - it will implicitly teach us much about ourselves and perhaps also reinforce the essential requirement for humility, in everything that we do.

We need to invest time in educating ourselves, continously. As the Bible said - and they kill each other over this shit - "Whoever knows the All but fails to know himself lacks everything”. The Gospel according to St Thomas 67

LOL

Thank fuck I annoy you.

Massive response cheers.  :rofl:

Look rocket I enjoy our discussions...maybe you feel the need to try and be superior or maybe you just aint getting enough cock in your sad life. Who knows.

I think you give me roo much attention though.

I mean its sweet and everything but

Try reading a few more books on rejection and how to cope if you love books so uch.

K ?

I think you give me roo much attention though.

I mean its sweet and everything but

Try reading a few more books on rejection and how to cope if you love books so uch.

K ?

Now that you've since edited and added to the wisdom you share with this forum, let me say goodbye before you fuck off for a while, possibly for good. Your propensity for cowardly running away from adversity has been noted.

On the contrary, I don't give you roo much attention (no spellchecker even at your end?), I don't give you enough...

I can actually judge people on their love for that abhorrent talentless shit.

I think you're a lot confused.

You don't seem to appreciate that different people can have different tastes.

And you come across as intolerant.

Unlike you, I don't "judge people" by their music taste. Nor can I, and I would argue, nor can you.

Whilst I can't judge people by their music, I can judge people by their posts.

My judgement is that I couldn't stand you in real life.

Have a wee think ya rocket then come back and we can discuss further.

On the overrated bands thread, I didn't revert to you.

I made one post. You invited further discussion. I refrained.

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Your comment about "if you love books so uch" suggests that you are illiterate. Your posts prove it.

Rooney was great for us yes, he's a spent force now unless we play Dumbarton or someone.

May lost the ball countless times.He needs to turn around and play the ball back sometimes.

Lewis was at fault for the first goal I would say.amazing shot by Tierney but stand up to the ball at such a tight angle Joe ffs.he bent over and let the ball hit the back of the net.absolute shocker IMO.

Losing to them is annoying but expected.they have quality x3 in every position compared to us.

Christie wouldn't have made any difference.

We need a few more players.

I'd even try Maynard and May up front and stick to it.

Rooney, who scored a hat trick in the league only a few weeks ago is a spent force, but Maynard, who hasn't even come close to scoring - in fact, hasn't even looked like he may trouble the opposition - in his time here, should be given a run beside May?

Rooney shouldn't have started in that role last night, but to suggest he's a spent force is just ridiculous.  Play to his strengths and he will score goals for us.  Play him wide and ask him to do a job like the one last night and he'll struggle.

I've said before we don't play to May's strengths; he wants the early ball played into the inside channel, we don't ever look like playing that.

I haven't seen the goals since the game itself, so haven't had the benefit of a replay, but surely Lewis wasn't at fault for Tierney's??

Another spineless, passive performance from the Dons, goes hand in hand with the subservient fans who not only applauded a Celtic player on to the park but also had a go at Dons fans who had the audacity to boo the same player on to the park.

It never used to be like this...

Lewis was at fault for the first goal I would say.amazing shot by Tierney but stand up to the ball at such a tight angle Joe ffs.he bent over and let the ball hit the back of the net.absolute shocker IMO.

I haven't seen the goals since the game itself, so haven't had the benefit of a replay, but surely Lewis wasn't at fault for Tierney's??

Rooney, who scored a hat trick in the league only a few weeks ago is a spent force, but Maynard, who hasn't even come close to scoring - in fact, hasn't even looked like he may trouble the opposition - in his time here, should be given a run beside May?

Rooney shouldn't have started in that role last night, but to suggest he's a spent force is just ridiculous.  Play to his strengths and he will score goals for us.  Play him wide and ask him to do a job like the one last night and he'll struggle.

I've said before we don't play to May's strengths; he wants the early ball played into the inside channel, we don't ever look like playing that.

Another spineless, passive performance from the Dons, goes hand in hand with the subservient fans who not only applauded a Celtic player on to the park but also had a go at Dons fans who had the audacity to boo the same player on to the park.

It never used to be like this...

Not to make things worse for Nips, but there was no way on earth Lewis was at fault for the first. He blocked the entire goal bar a ball shaped space in off the bar, which Tierney absolutely roasted it into. It was a cracking effort.

And Maynard is the worst player ever. Although some gimp in front of me was suggesting that May was the next Goodwillie? Outrageous like. Maynard is Goodwillie, and once again showed his effort-free gash lastnight. He did that thing where he makes it look like he's making a good run, when he's obviously running away from the ball rather than take it easily into feet and be forced to play fitba, something he's forgotten how to.

The Hayes booing and clapping was weird. I just ignored him. He's a Tim player with a very good dons history. Don't wish him any ill, but doesn't deserve our applause.

Now that you've since edited and added to the wisdom you share with this forum, let me say goodbye before you fuck off for a while, possibly for good. Your propensity for cowardly running away from adversity has been noted.

On the contrary, I don't give you roo much attention (no spellchecker even at your end?), I don't give you enough...

On the overrated bands thread, I didn't revert to you.

I made one post. You invited further discussion. I refrained.

Your comment about "if you love books so uch" suggests that you are illiterate. Your posts prove it.

Who cares if you are an aberdeen fan.

Does that stop you being a bellend?

No is the answer.

I think you should leave not me.

You're so desperate to bully a 'fellow' aberdeen fan it's desperate now.

Are you a troll??

Well are ya

Worse for nips?

So to make valid points here about not covering all your angles in goal and having such an opinion and others allows you wannabe bully boys to make aggressive comments against me?

100%kingsford got the same treatment.

I guess there's always a scapegoat somewhere.

Not once have I made uncalled for comments against anyone here unless provoked or defending myself.

I am so upset with my fellow dons

I'm reaching for the red tissue box now.

Thanks guys..thanks a lot

Right guys enough.

Don't like having to step in and moderate, but this thread is now locked.

Have removed the last four posts in this thread as it is clearly degenerating into a name calling scenario.

The point of this forum is to allow Dons fans to express a cross section of opinions.

We are never going to all agree with one another on every subject matter, but I have no desire to see it fall into name calling and personal insults. I'll not attach blame here. Let's just leave as it is and move on. If you feel unable to do so and resurrect this elsewhere then appropriate action will be taken to restrict access.

Please remember we all want the best for the Club we love.

STAND FREE