Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen vs Celtic

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The closer it gets, the more I’m seeing all the possibilities.

It’s a matter of time before Celtic get beat.

They’re not that good anyway.

Really can’t stand the smugness of Rodgers.

McInnes saying the game “can’t come quick enough” is interesting.

A rare expression of confidence and I like it.

But we have a history of bottling EVERY big game.

Not that this is a big enough game to be a league decider.

AFC are NOT winning the league.

My fear is Celtic are up for it like they were at Ibrox.

My fear is that we fail to produce a decent performance.

That would mean another massive disappointment.

But a rare sell out crowd should give us a big chance.

I fear Rogic the most.

The game will be won in midfield.

Aberdeen 1 - Celtic 3

I fear Rogic the most.

Aberdeen 1 - Celtic 3

Sitting on the train not far short of York and was feeling fairly optimistic until I read your last 9 lines.  If Considine starts then you could well be right.

I fear Rogic the most.

Aberdeen 1 - Celtic 3

Correct^

Except 3-0 them.

I'm optimistic but they just have far far too much quality.

They I'll be on form guaranteed.

It's nothing bad to lose to their millions...

Looking forward to it though  :thumbsup:

Sitting on the train not far short of York and was feeling fairly optimistic until I read your last 9 lines.  If Considine starts then you could well be right.

But that’s the thing, the game could go either way because neither are very good.

Considine is a perfect example in terms of consistency, the one quality above all others required to succeed.

I like Consi’s effort and determination. He’s just not hugely talented and suffers from being played at LB where he’s not comfortable.  He’s good enough to get a game at this level or at least as a squad player but it would be madness to reintroduce him for this one, the type of irrational shite that McInnes has a history of. Considine hasn’t been consistently played this month and he’s not a consistent performer when he does play. And we will never know how good he might have been if he had been played as a CB in a settled back 4 due to how many partners he’s had there over the years. With Arnason and McKenna now, Consi’s starts are going to be fewer.

On the contrary you’ve increased my optimism. Consi won’t play (surely?) and I trust Arnason and McKenna.

But then he might play him at LB. Where he might have a stormer. Or where his lack of pace, skill and intelligence might be fatal. Even though Shinnie is a natural LB, we are really short in midfield, especially sans Christie and the likes of GMS, Stewart and Ball aren’t good enough.

Fuck knows what DM will pick and fuck knows how it will go. The one thing is certain is that DM isn’t good at changing things and adapting to the situation. Not good enough in midfield means we get beat is my prediction.

I'd argue that Considine has been our most consistently high-performing player in the last 5 seasons (mainly cause he's been there for that duration!). He's been consistently above average in our team and consistently deserving of his place in the starting eleven. I just think his level is just short of being good enough to play well against the Tims. I don't think that's a bad thing, and the same could have been said for McGinn previously and many others (hun-Jack a good example). That's not to say he hasn't ever had a good game against the Tims, he's had a few, it's just that when he plays against players at that level he struggles at left back.

But, as you say Rocket, we shouldn't be judging Considine versus Shinnie at left back, as Shinnie is clearly the better player there. What we should be judging is the

Considine - Shinnie v Stewart or Ball - Christie

Let's say Shinnie is a 10 at left back and Christie 10 behind the striker as our preferred options

I'd say Considine is a solid 7.5 at left back and Stewart and Ball are, so far, a generous 5.5 in midfield

In conclusion: Shinnie - Considine (-2.5) > Stewart or Ball - Christie (-4.5)

A stupid anology, I ken, but it really isn't as simple as saying Considine is worse than Shinnie, it's whether we lose more by shoe-horning a useless cunt into midfield rather than Shinnie with Christie and Tansey out. Considine is definitely not a useless cunt at left back - he'd get into the starting 11 of every team outside the Tims and Huns - he's just not as good as Shinnie.

I certainly don't think we could be too critical of McInnes for playing Considine at left back and putting Shinnie into midfield. He has to make a change of some sort because of Christie's absence. We could definitely be critical of McInnes if he drops McKenna or plays Reynolds as part of a back 3. Those are changes that aren't required and are negative.

Fingers crossed we manage to pull it off today. Their ridiculous run has to come to an end at some point, if we field a sensible line up and play to our strengths theres no reason why it could be us to do it. Can't say I'm confident but fuck it, who knows.

Hope all those in red going tonight enjoy the game! COYR