Author Topic: Scotland squad  (Read 50103 times)

Offline kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• First Team
  • Rating: 9
Re: Scotland squad
« Reply #740 on: June 11, 2019, 09:22:33 PM »
Big Scotty's inability to pass to one of his own team mates is embarrassing. He is abysmal with the ball at his feet.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -191
« Reply #741 on: June 11, 2019, 10:17:00 PM »
When I saw the Belgium team, I said McKenna is going to get ripped at some point tonight. To be fair, the cross to Carthorse Lookackoo was sublime but Scotland weren't in the game tonight. Scottie isn't international class and never will be. But neither is any other cunt.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline sheepheid

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 12
« Reply #742 on: June 12, 2019, 02:05:12 AM »
He IS international class...Scottish international class.
We are pish and he’s a starter if he’s fit.  It’s just where we’re at currently. Accept it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:10:44 AM by sheepheid »

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 17
« Reply #743 on: June 12, 2019, 07:34:12 AM »
Didn’t think McKenna played that badly. McLean and Fraser were probably Scotland’s best players on the night. Scotland were out classed by a superb Belgium team. Still cannot believe they failed to win World Cup.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 73
« Reply #744 on: June 12, 2019, 08:41:34 AM »
Didn’t think McKenna played that badly. McLean and Fraser were probably Scotland’s best players on the night. Scotland were out classed by a superb Belgium team. Still cannot believe they failed to win World Cup.

Agree with all this. McKenna's passing was okay. He had to aim long pretty much constantly because of lack of support, with a few of those long ones going too long as expected. He did what was required of a Scotland centre half against Belgium by keeping things simple and at the same time not giving it away in a dangerous position. There was one in the second half where he toe-poked it accross the other side of the pitch in a panic, but otherwise he did well. His partner, Mulgrew, is obviously a much better footballer (with the ball) but he has the downside of switching off at least 3 times in important situations throughout a game so it's swings and roundabouts. The "international class" thing is probably a little out-dated. I suppose what is pertinent these days is if he could play EPL, and I think last night showed that he isn't quite there yet but wouldn't look out of place in the high end championship. He's still young enough that he'll gain a bit more confidence on the ball in future years as his passing isn't shite, it's his reverting to the punt when not called upon that is the issue. Plays with his head down a little, he should learn from McLean.

Offline kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• First Team
  • Rating: 9
« Reply #745 on: June 12, 2019, 08:52:33 AM »
Worrying thing for me last night was that we started with three of our best players on the bench in Fraser, Forrest and McGinn.  Not sure of the injury situation but with Robertson also out you are playing with one hand tied behind your back if you are trying to compete with the number one ranked team in the world and four of your best eleven are on the sidelines.

If those three players above were fit and ready to go then I don't know what the thinking is in leaving them out. 

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #746 on: June 12, 2019, 08:57:50 AM »
If those three players above were fit and ready to go then I don't know what the thinking is in leaving them out.

^ Exactly what we were saying.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #747 on: June 12, 2019, 09:09:28 AM »
The "international class" thing is probably a little out-dated. I suppose what is pertinent these days is if he could play EPL, and I think last night showed that he isn't quite there yet is the issue.

It's only become outdated because the standard in Scotland has been so appalling for over 20 years.

McKenna isn't EPL standard now, nor will he ever be. Any professional scouting him for two games only will see this.

Kenny McLean will be an EPL player within a few weeks. He had a great season last year and was good for his last few months with us, ever since his pre-contract was announced. The pertinent question was why did he produce mostly average and poor performances for the majority of his games at AFC?

Offline wee toon red

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 23
« Reply #748 on: June 12, 2019, 09:26:04 AM »
Worrying thing for me last night was that we started with three of our best players on the bench in Fraser, Forrest and McGinn.  Not sure of the injury situation but with Robertson also out you are playing with one hand tied behind your back if you are trying to compete with the number one ranked team in the world and four of your best eleven are on the sidelines.

Fraser proved when he came on that he should've started the game and should be the first or second name on the team sheet every time.

Disagree about McGinn though, he gives the ball away too much for a game of that importance.
Can you blame the man for going out of his mind temporarily?

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 118
« Reply #749 on: June 12, 2019, 12:01:33 PM »
In McKenna's defence centre forwards don't get much bigger or stronger and powerful in the air than Lukaku. Also 2 or 3 other Scotland players completely switched off and gave Eden Hazard all the time he needed to pick out Lukaku perfectly. Folk blaming McKenna entirely probably have a pre-existing agenda. I though last night was the least embarrassing of our 4 qualifiers so far. Our opponents are world class in almost every position. I'm never happy with a defeat but frankly I expected worse and for the first time I believe there are positives to take. Fraser played better last night than he did against Cyprus.

Offline CvB

• First Team
« Reply #750 on: June 12, 2019, 12:47:10 PM »
McKenna looked to me as though he was playing zonal. Quite often appeared to be isolated in the middle not marking anyone and seemed quite happy to let players drift off him and end up being picked up by somebody else (mainly).
Didn't think he looked very comfortable at any point while I was watching it.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #751 on: June 12, 2019, 01:37:01 PM »
1. Folk blaming McKenna entirely probably have a pre-existing agenda.

2. I though last night was the least embarrassing of our 4 qualifiers so far. Our opponents are world class in almost every position. I'm never happy with a defeat but frankly I expected worse and for the first time I believe there are positives to take. Fraser played better last night than he did against Cyprus.

1. Nobody has blamed him for anything.

2. Agreed.

It's an indication of how far we have dropped that a country with a population of only double our size are that far ahead of us.

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
« Reply #752 on: June 12, 2019, 01:56:35 PM »
1. Nobody has blamed him for anything.

2. Agreed.

It's an indication of how far we have dropped that a country with a population of only double our size are that far ahead of us.

Aye they have. He was getting pelters on Twitter

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #753 on: June 12, 2019, 03:53:36 PM »

Aye they have. He was getting pelters on Twitter

You're not on Twitter (on here)!

The huns and the sellic are sick fucks. I exposed the sellic fud last night in the pub by asking who are the best three SPL/SPFL footballers of the modern era? Henrik Larsson was obviously one but he said Lubo Moravcic and some other sellic I can't even remember. They are so bigoted. He was ripping into McKenna for the first goal so I asked him, what should he have done differently and how often have you seen him play? He didn't even have the balls to answer both question. Should've knocked the cunt out but he had specs on.

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
« Reply #754 on: June 14, 2019, 09:51:03 AM »
You're not on Twitter (on here)!

Can we not reference outside influences in our posts like?

The huns and the sellic are sick fucks. I exposed the sellic fud last night in the pub by asking who are the best three SPL/SPFL footballers of the modern era? Henrik Larsson was obviously one but he said Lubo Moravcic and some other sellic I can't even remember. They are so bigoted. He was ripping into McKenna for the first goal so I asked him, what should he have done differently and how often have you seen him play? He didn't even have the balls to answer both question. Should've knocked the cunt out but he had specs on.

Aim for the jaw then!

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
« Reply #755 on: August 20, 2019, 01:41:59 PM »
Two Dons named in the U21 squad for games against San Marino and Croatia.

Goalkeepers: Ross Doohan (Ayr United), Robby McCrorie (Queen of the South), Kieran Wright (Rangers)

Defenders: Daniel Harvie (Ayr United), George Johnston (Feyenoord), Ross McCrorie (Portsmouth), Tom McIntyre (Reading), Ryan Porteous (Hibernian), Patrick Reading (Middlesborough)

Midfielders: Allan Campbell (Motherwell), Lewis Ferguson (Aberdeen), Billy Gilmour (Chelsea), Jordan Holsgrove (Reading), Stephen Kelly (Ayr United), Kyle Magennis (St Mirren), Kyle McAllister (St Mirren), Lewis Smith (Hamilton).

Forwards: Fraser Hornby (Everton), Michael Johnston (Celtic), Connor McLennan (Aberdeen), Glenn Middleton (Hibernian), James Scott (Motherwell).

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 73
« Reply #756 on: August 20, 2019, 02:35:21 PM »
Interesting that Harvie is in there. 3 Ayr Utd players suggests some sort of link between the U21 manager and that club - fa's in charge these days?

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 33
« Reply #757 on: August 20, 2019, 03:37:48 PM »
Scott Gemmill is it nae?

Only link to Ayr that I can think of is that he maybe once read Tam O' Shanter at school (but even that unlikely as he was schooled down south)

Offline wee toon red

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 23
« Reply #758 on: August 21, 2019, 09:41:13 AM »
Interesting that Harvie is in there. 3 Ayr Utd players suggests some sort of link between the U21 manager and that club - fa's in charge these days?

Doohan and Kelly are on loan from the Tims and Huns so that's probably got more to do with it. Fuck knows why Harvie is in there though.
Can you blame the man for going out of his mind temporarily?

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
« Reply #759 on: August 27, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »
Scotland Squad for up coming games against Russia and Belgium.

Goalkeepers
Craig MacGillivray (Portsmouth)
David Marshall (Wigan Athletic)
Jon McLaughlin (Sunderland)

Defenders
Liam Cooper (Leeds United)
Grant Hanley (Norwich City)
Charlie Mulgrew (Wigan Athletic)*
Stephen O’Donnell (Kilmarnock)
Liam Palmer (Sheffield Wednesday)
Andrew Robertson (Liverpool)
Greg Taylor (Kilmarnock)