Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

57 minutes ago, scotfree said:

🤔

I like Burrows, seems to get it right with the fans more often than not. He'll say something not quite right, that doesn't please everyone, I'm sure, but his engagement is refreshing (similar to Cormack when he was here first time round in many ways).

I'm assuming it's new kit day today? Modelled by Shinnie I hope (because he's tidy).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jute said:

3 year contract for a 32 year old player is maybe a bit long but guessing that’s to do with drop in salary he will be taking compared to what Wigan were paying him. Happy to have him back. 

Hear fit you're saying Jute, but I wouldn't he surprised to see him do his coaching badges in the next 24/30 months or so with a view to joining our coaching team or go out elsewhere to cut his teeth with a view to returning in the future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jute said:

3 year contract for a 32 year old player is maybe a bit long but guessing that’s to do with drop in salary he will be taking compared to what Wigan were paying him. Happy to have him back. 

He's 31 thanks, and still will be at the start of the Scottish football season! Your ageist attitude is exactly why supreme athletes such as myself have all but given up playing for the Dons.

I suspect that if you looked at the stats from last season, you'd see that Hayes covered as much ground as anyone else in the Dons team, and the way that Shinnie plays would suggest he could easily do similar. In reality though, if we get two good seasons out of him for the price of three, that'd be better than most of our signings this century. If it gives his family security and makes him happy to be here, then all the better. He'll know when it's time to quit when it comes round I expect. 

• Like 1

Love yer Duks,Miovskis et al,but having one of the prominent players with a local link ala Shinnie,Anderson, adds to the identity

Nae sure if the Williams signing rules out Pollock coming back yet,hopefully not,....and the Teklic signing seems to be blowing hot and cold,....doesnt seem to be out of the equation yet though

Edited by Elgindon

Has anyone else been pondering how Robson is thinking on Stewart and besuijens return from loan?  I'm fascinated to see what happens with both 2bh.  

With Vinny the talent is there but I have a question mark over attitude right now. He clearly spat the dummy about being benched by Goodwin but who knows what else was going on behind the scenes 🤷‍♂️.  He's on the record as saying he wouldn't have left if knew Goodwin was on borrowed time.

There's defo no attitude problem with Stewart though 2bf and at the time putting him out on loan made a lot of sense.  He had become a major target for the fan base and it made it easy to install Shinnie as captain which needed to happen.  

It has crossed my mind though that he may still have his uses.  I can't help but feel that not being asked to play it out from the back constantly would suit him, as would not having the pressure of the armband. His best work in red was when he was just trying to get in the way of the ball and that's essentially what Pollock was doing when he was here.

Don't get me wrong here though folks, I'm not advocating for keeping Stewart and I get that after his first spell it would be a fairly long road back for him with the fan base.  I just wonder if Robson may have another look at him now all the dust has settled on the failings of the previous campaign. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Love yer Duks,Miovskis et al,but having one of the prominent players with a local link ala Shinnie,Anderson, adds to the identity

Nae sure if the Williams signing rules out Pollock coming back yet,hopefully not,....and the Teklic signing seems to be blowing hot and cold,....doesnt seem to be out of the equation yet though

The Teklic one is interesting isn't it?  The best I can tell this is a fairly ambitious move by the club and I think it's telling they are still hanging in there.  You don't do that for a player who isn't going to significantly improve you. 

2 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

Has anyone else been pondering how Robson is thinking on Stewart and besuijens return from loan?  I'm fascinated to see what happens with both 2bh.  

With Vinny the talent is there but I have a question mark over attitude right now. He clearly spat the dummy about being benched by Goodwin but who knows what else was going on behind the scenes 🤷‍♂️.  He's on the record as saying he wouldn't have left if knew Goodwin was on borrowed time.

There's defo no attitude problem with Stewart though 2bf and at the time putting him out on loan made a lot of sense.  He had become a major target for the fan base and it made it easy to install Shinnie as captain which needed to happen.  

It has crossed my mind though that he may still have his uses.  I can't help but feel that not being asked to play it out from the back constantly would suit him, as would not having the pressure of the armband. His best work in red was when he was just trying to get in the way of the ball and that's essentially what Pollock was doing when he was here.

Don't get me wrong here though folks, I'm not advocating for keeping Stewart and I get that after his first spell it would be a fairly long road back for him with the fan base.  I just wonder if Robson may have another look at him now all the dust has settled on the failings of the previous campaign. 

Definitely leaning towards this as he wasn’t the donkey some folk made him out to be. Still think it would be best for both parties if we parted ways, but we need more CBs at the moment and as you said, he did the basics well. In the semi, he played well until that moment of utter madness tbf. 

re Vinny, I’m happy he’s back. Goodwin clearly didn’t know how to manage the club so I’m hoping we see a reinvigorated Vinny. Less sticky toffee though please.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Looks like Shinnie getting number 4 next season then. Proper midfielder number.

This is appalling. Shinnie for me is number 6. Number 4 should be reserved for when the Taoiseach Liam Scales returns.

May as well send him back to Wigan.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Stewart was, and is, honking. Being able to do the basics very slowly isn't what we're looking for.

Aye.

I would love him to come back and be a player. It was a nonsense to give him the captaincy.

But, as Rico says, I just don't think he has the ability. We can't be putting him up against Dybala in the Europa League.

• Haha 2