Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Who are all these UK players Barry Robson is supposedly going to be going after to keep a definite British based feel within the squad??

I know you can't judge on just one decent season and the fact I've lost a lot of love for my club given the way they've treated me last five or six years but surely more Duk and Miovski combinations all around the starting XI might be a good thing.

What is the point in having all these youngsters like Aaron Reid and Alfie Bavidge if they aren't ever getting a bloody game?

Why haven't we consistently been nurturing the next homegrown goalkeeper, central defender, winger, midfield maestro???

Been a very long time since anybody has truly made a telling breakthrough from the academy set up. 

Both Miovski and Duk are - at this time - far better than Bavidge.

I can think of 5m reasons why they've been playing ahead of Bavidge, who up until a few weeks ago was only 16.

"Been a very long time since anybody has truly made a telling breakthrough from the academy set up."

Calvin Ramsay? Connor Barron? Jack Mackenzie?

One was sold for £millions to one of the biggest clubs in the world. The other two have had their injury problems this season but have been given plenty of chances.

7 hours ago, BigAl said:

Tonio Teklic incoming 🤔

🇭🇷  U23 intwrnational attacking midfielder

6 hours ago, Jute said:

Guessing that means no Clarkson then.

6 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

Perhaps but not necessarily.  He looks a very different type of player. 

Just been having a wee look at him. He appears to be a right winger but has a cracking left foot - watched two of his goals from last season and both were left-foot zingers from outside the box.

So I wouldn't say a replacement for Clarkson, more someone to give us some balance on that side since Morris, Roberts, Kennedy, Myslovic, Richardson and whoever else we signed to play there weren't up to it.

He also seems good defensively. Tracks back and makes challenges in his own box.

4 hours ago, Slim said:

He seemed to play 90 minutes for Croatia’s B team the other night. Doesn’t sound like he’d be cheap (despite 12 months left on his contract).

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tonio-teklic/profil/spieler/510241

Obviously sites like this can be taken with a pinch of salt but he's valued at 1.5 mill here.  On the same site Duk and Miovski are valued at 1. 

12 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Obviously sites like this can be taken with a pinch of salt but he's valued at 1.5 mill here.  On the same site Duk and Miovski are valued at 1. 

I could never work out whether sites like that actually valued them as players, against one another as it were, or if it took into account contract lengths and so on. Clarkson was only valued at £800K on there, so maybe a sneaky £150K offer would be welcomed.

1 hour ago, tlg1903 said:

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I could never work out whether sites like that actually valued them as players, against one another as it were, or if it took into account contract lengths and so on. Clarkson was only valued at £800K on there, so maybe a sneaky £150K offer would be welcomed.

You absolutely can take that site with a pinch of salt. I actually helped them change some of the Aberdeen values because they were a mess - they had Clarkson and Duk worth less than Scsles and Richardson. But the actual values appear to just be random.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Panda said:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/5830474/calvin-ramsay-liverpool-loan-move/

Calvin Ramsay set to move on loan to Preston.

I wonder if we made enquiries about getting him back. But then again Preston is close to Liverpool, and would give him Championship football, so probably better for him to go there.

Good move for him. He's been unfortunate with injuries down there, but shouldn't set him back too much, still think he made the right move and at least gave it a shot. Like Clarkson, I think he has the potential to go all the way and I'm not sure a return to the Dons would be in his best interests. A move abroad might have been a more interesting challenge, but I guess Preston will be aiming for the playoffs, so he'd likely be clear of the hoofer sides at the lower end of that league.

A decent start on the trimming. Hopefully Morris, Roberts and Stewart follow them and at least a loan for Richardson if he doesn't leave too. That'll pare it back nicely so we don't overload with duds next season. I don't think that any of the above have proved good enough to even bring on as subs against bottom six sides, all they offer is a number, and with ten or more signings incoming we'll have enough numbers in there that can't cut it. Kennedy and Watkins are better than the four remaining, so hopefully we can be ruthless when it comes to cutting them.

Slightly disappointed that Campbell couldn't do enough to get another deal. Hopefully he'll go on to be a success, and works out whatever is holding him back. There's a definite gap between his performances and his talent and attributes, which isn't apparent in guys like McLennan. He should be at the level Jack was at his age in my opinion.

According to Scott Burns, everything has been agreed with club and player for Ester Sokler and Aberdeen are now waiting on a work permit. 

So looks like he is the replacement for Marley Watkins, to come in and push Miovski and Duk.

Tonio Teklic and Jay Idzes also being chased. Idzes is right footed but has generally played LCB. He's actually a converted midfielder so every chance we play him there too.

Teklic is a right winger but from what I watched of him looks handy defensively too, so may be an attacking RWB option.

Devlin already signed. Hopefully Clarkson and Shinnie on permanent deals soon.

If we're persisting with three at the back, then potentially this is how we're looking.

IMG_8165.thumb.jpeg.f83ace653cedbad2db27090a0f480a8c.jpegIMG_8166.thumb.jpeg.c9b7e6c6010d6e7fe4a0d62f5ad27af8.jpeg

Think we still need better than Ramadani. He has his place in the squad - especially with a minimum of eight European games - but as a first pick we need better. Would love to think Connor Barron might kick on this season.

Hayes is still useful and again will play his fair share of games, as will Jack Mackenzie, but a better LWB option is needed. 

Plus at least another right sided defender with Stewart likely to leave (Will Fish?).

Would like to see Liam Scales and Mattie Pollock return but expect both to start their pre-seasons with their clubs, with any decision being made on whether they can leave or not made after we've already started the season.

Huge assumptions made on Shinnie and Clarkson coming back. If one or both doesn't, I fear for us because players like that are not easy to find.

squadlist.thumb.jpg.6212632177492200294775c18e341685.jpg

So this is the squad as it stands.  I had hoped after such a busy window this time last year this summers would be more along the lines of no more than 4 or 5 coming in. With a squad of twenty that is defo going to be shedding a few more it’s going to be into double figures. 

Lets go through them by position. 

GK  Roos and Lewis.

First order of business for me would probably be to get Roos on a new deal.  I’m not sure what to do with Lewis 2bh. He’s a very good backup but he’s also going to be on a sizeable wedge. Ifehe’s amenable to be moving on I would be at peace with that but, equally, there are going to be enough changes as there is and maybe it would be better just to keep him for his final year. Regardless though we need at least 1 gk

Right back. Devlin, Richardson.

Richardson is an interesting one. I did wonder if Robson was trying to reintroduce him into the fold a wee bit towards the end of the season. The only thing that gives me pause for thought is how quick he is, if that could be effectively harnessed he could yet be an asset. I would certainly not be disappointed to him moving on though. Defo need one rb anyway.

cb. Stewart, McDonald, Milne. Mackenzie capable of playing the position.

We obviously expect Stewart to be moving on though it did cross my mind he would be far better suited to playing in robsonss team than goodwins. No instruction to play out from the back, no responsibility of captaincy would allow him to just fucking defend and I always felt he had a decent knack of getting in the way of the ball. Again probably on a big wage though and that could defo be better utilised to say the least. We need at least 3 if Milne is capable of stepping up, 4 if not. Big season for Milne, if he doesn’t breakthrough now he’s not going to.

Lb Hayes, ngwenya and McKenzie.

Hayes is clearly the starter of those 3 and that worries me. Much like Milne this needs to be a breakthrough season for ngwenya but I think that’s less likely than Milne. Mackenzie is a tough one, I like him in general terms but he kind of seems to have stalled a bit and maybe its would be best if he moved on. I think we need a new starting lb to be honest.

For ease im going to group all the wide players together. Hayes, Duncan, roberts, morris, besuijen

big question marks over the last 3, we don’t know how vinny is feeling and how robson feels about him but he’s defo good enough to be in our squad. Morris does look a busted flush though there were small small signs of improvement toward the tail end of the season and it was interesting in itself robson gave him game time at all. Roberts we haven’t seen enough of and the jury is still out for me. A question mark over duncan as well, he has had his moments but we need more of those and less of the casper impressions. We probably need at least 2, one of them a starting left sider.

CM Rama, barron, Polvara

Barron is a really tough one. There is strong argument to say we put a contract under his nose and if he doesn’t sign it move him on. With the turnover of squad though it may be worth biting the bullet and keeping him on for continuity. On his game there’s no doubt he’s an asset.  Polvara is probably not going to work out which is a shame as i thought he looked like could pass a ball and had potential.  I just dont think hes played enough senior football 2bh. 

We obviously hope that we get shinnie and clarkson back but I would want another one o top of that, 2 if barron is going.

Cf duk, miovski bavidge and probably sokler.

This is the hardest category to say what we need in because it’s the one most likely to have personnel leaving. I obviously don’t want to see the wee man leave but I recognise this summer will likely be the only real opportunity to get good money for him unless he’s prepared to sign a year extension. With Benfica taking 50% of any transfer we wont get much for him if he only has a year left and, 2bh, I would rather keep him for the duration of his contract and let him leave on a free than take a pittance a year prior.

Short version. The minimum we need is 11 players but potentially we will need 14 or 15. This is a very big test for the club with group stage football on the horizon.  At least the team is getting a proper pre season for once and we dont have to start playing competitive football at the end of june. 

Edited by tlg1903

Joe Lewis is definitely leaving, that was obvious by the way he said goodbye to the fans at the end of the St Mirren and Celtic games.

Was talk of him linking up with McInnes again in January at Kilmarnock, but Roos' injury scuppered that. 

5 hours ago, Panda said:

According to Scott Burns, everything has been agreed with club and player for Ester Sokler and Aberdeen are now waiting on a work permit. 

So looks like he is the replacement for Marley Watkins, to come in and push Miovski and Duk.

Tonio Teklic and Jay Idzes also being chased. Idzes is right footed but has generally played LCB. He's actually a converted midfielder so every chance we play him there too.

Teklic is a right winger but from what I watched of him looks handy defensively too, so may be an attacking RWB option.

Devlin already signed. Hopefully Clarkson and Shinnie on permanent deals soon.

If we're persisting with three at the back, then potentially this is how we're looking.

IMG_8165.thumb.jpeg.f83ace653cedbad2db27090a0f480a8c.jpegIMG_8166.thumb.jpeg.c9b7e6c6010d6e7fe4a0d62f5ad27af8.jpeg

Think we still need better than Ramadani. He has his place in the squad - especially with a minimum of eight European games - but as a first pick we need better. Would love to think Connor Barron might kick on this season.

Hayes is still useful and again will play his fair share of games, as will Jack Mackenzie, but a better LWB option is needed. 

Plus at least another right sided defender with Stewart likely to leave (Will Fish?).

Would like to see Liam Scales and Mattie Pollock return but expect both to start their pre-seasons with their clubs, with any decision being made on whether they can leave or not made after we've already started the season.

Huge assumptions made on Shinnie and Clarkson coming back. If one or both doesn't, I fear for us because players like that are not easy to find.

Mental that both your lineups there include four players who don't actually play for us and two triple question marks, yet you don't even give Ramadani a game. Poor lad. You BBC Tory voters just can't stand Albanians in this country.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Mental that both your lineups there include four players who don't actually play for us and two triple question marks, yet you don't even give Ramadani a game. Poor lad. You BBC Tory voters just can't stand Albanians in this country.

It was a positive post giving you all hope for the future.

Ramadani would only misplace a pass and ruin it all.