Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

12 hours ago, KGB said:

I was also behind the goal that night and it was quite frankly the most horrendously inept display of goalkeeping i have ever witnessed. He was running about his line like Hen Broon >shudders< The fans were howling for him to be subbed. 

This new boy was on the books at Derby for 8 seasons so surely cannot be in the same category.

Me too

At one point he dived and lay on the ground waiting for the ball to reach him.

• Like 1

For me it was old Bertrand staying rooted to the line while the killie striker ran unchallenged into the penalty area, every step making the target bigger.

Had flashbacks to my one and only game for my school where i believe i ended up in goal as the 3 others who were ahead of me had decided they couldnt be bothered. Subbed at 3mins into 2nd half 3-2 down with the coaches immortal words 'dont worry Tom, only 3 of the goals were your fault'

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, donsdaft said:

Me too

At one point he dived and lay on the ground waiting for the ball to reach him.

To this day, I can’t understand why he did that. Horrible night in Ayrshire. Put me right off. I wish you’d all stop talking about it, I had almost got rid of it as a memory 😭

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, donsdaft said:

Good riddance to Gallagher

Now, get rid of Bates.

I can’t agree with getting rid of Bates. Time will tell but I think Bates will be just fine with a run of games where he plays as a RCB, with a competent player on his left. I don’t think anyone saw coming just how bad Bates and Gallagher would be together. It no doubt had a negative effect on Joe Lewis too who arguably had is his worst season for us.

I’m expecting good things from the defence this year. Much more confident and solid performances. 

• Like 1

I’m not sad to see Gallagher go but really disappointed with how his signing worked out. He should have been great for us. Perhaps he was like the Central belt Delle Alli….great for one season but a one season wonder and comparable to the mighty Andy Dow…except not as nice! 

Edited by sheepheid

20 minutes ago, sheepheid said:

I’m not sad to see Gallagher go but really disappointed with how his signing worked out. He should have been great for us. Perhaps he was like the Central belt Delle Alli….great for one season but a one season wonder and comparable to the mighty Andy Dow…except not as nice! 

He played well in a back three doing the simple things - clearing the box with headers, scrambling the ball away.

When playing in a back two, given more responsibility, and when poor positioning is more easily punished, he was found out.

If we were to use a back three next season (Goodwin has said Aberdeen will be working on both a four and three in pre-season) then he may have been useful, but I suspect we've another centre-half on the way. We still need another left sided LCB otherwise if Scales is injured (or not up to it) then we'll be lopsided again like last season.

I don't think the Charles Dunne interest has totally died down yet. And St Mirren have now just signed a reinforcement in defence..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panda said:

He played well in a back three doing the simple things - clearing the box with headers, scrambling the ball away.

When playing in a back two, given more responsibility, and when poor positioning is more easily punished, he was found out.

If we were to use a back three next season (Goodwin has said Aberdeen will be working on both a four and three in pre-season) then he may have been useful, but I suspect we've another centre-half on the way. We still need another left sided LCB otherwise if Scales is injured (or not up to it) then we'll be lopsided again like last season.

I don't think the Charles Dunne interest has totally died down yet. And St Mirren have now just signed a reinforcement in defence..

If we were wanting dunne it would have been part of the Gallagher I would have thought. 

8 hours ago, Panda said:

Not necessarily since Gallagher was released to allow that deal to go through.

Aye but it wasn't originally supposed to go like that though and you would think dunne would have been part of the original deal of we were after him. 

2 minutes ago, Jute said:

Michael Hancock off on loan to Arbroath. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/3432810/arbroath-sign-winger-loan-aberdeen/

Always played defender before so interesting they see him as a winger. 

Aye, thought it was strange he was playing right back against Buckie as I thought he was a left centre half, so even stranger to see him as a winger. He did get forward well against Buckie and looks a good prospect. 

28 minutes ago, Jute said:

Apparently deal for Mason Hancock has been pulled due to injury to McKenzie. 

Jesus, McKenzie has had nae luck with injuries. Although unless he's actually going to get regular game time, I'd rather we went ahead with the loan deal. Surely between Ngwenya and Hayes, we have cover in the short term? Unless McKenzie is out for a good while, in which case we should be looking at a loan move if we're not playing Hancock. It would be crap if we're taking away a good development opportunity for Hancock to sit on our bench as cover. Similarly, if Ngwenya is deemed not good enough to start there then we'd be best to move him on. Hancock looks to be at the right point to get good game time somewhere, that needs to be prioritised in my opinion.

So at the moment, for the opening league game v Celtic, this could be our line-up.

Mjovski can play striker, N10 or winger. I'm simply guessing where he'll play just now as haven't seen him in the red shirt obviously.

Looking at that, we still need another centre half as when Scales is missing we have no other LCB and could go into the Celtic game with no back-up.

In general the squad still needs a bit more competition for places, especially on the left side. McGrath, Ronan, another striker and another defender and I'd be confident of a decent season.

If that's our first XI, and they stay fit (and making a presumption Ramirez stays), then I wouldn't be too upset. Reckon that side is beating Celtic 2-0.

84446FAD-8996-43B4-A4E8-E3C7EE319893.jpeg

• Like 1