Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

I really dislike the idea of signing another left sided centre half as backup to a loanee from the Tims. Centre halves usually play a fairly large chunk of games in a season and it just seems like wasted resource to buy a backup. I doubt we'd be having the discussion if Scales wasn't already missing games, we'd be content with McRorie dropping back, Bates coming in, Stewart or McKenzie moving across or whatever for the odd suspension or injury. If we do get someone in, you'd think that they'd be assuming they're starting ahead of Scales too. Maybe Scales as a backup is fine.

9 hours ago, Panda said:

So at the moment, for the opening league game v Celtic, this could be our line-up.

Mjovski can play striker, N10 or winger. I'm simply guessing where he'll play just now as haven't seen him in the red shirt obviously.

Looking at that, we still need another centre half as when Scales is missing we have no other LCB and could go into the Celtic game with no back-up.

In general the squad still needs a bit more competition for places, especially on the left side. McGrath, Ronan, another striker and another defender and I'd be confident of a decent season.

If that's our first XI, and they stay fit (and making a presumption Ramirez stays), then I wouldn't be too upset. Reckon that side is beating Celtic 2-0.

84446FAD-8996-43B4-A4E8-E3C7EE319893.jpeg

Can't see Vinny being left on he bench in favor of Watkins, think if they were switched out that would be more realistic.

• Like 1

Hancock might be off to Fleetwood according to P&J. Assuming it'd be a loan. Unusual, but he's English so might have family close by. Brown taking a gamble with all the foreign Scottish based players in his side. Not sure it'll be the best environment for him (as opposed to a settled Arbroath side just down the road).

44 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Hancock might be off to Fleetwood according to P&J. Assuming it'd be a loan. Unusual, but he's English so might have family close by. Brown taking a gamble with all the foreign Scottish based players in his side. Not sure it'll be the best environment for him (as opposed to a settled Arbroath side just down the road).

Not really sure I get whats going on here.

I thought his loan to Arbroath was pulled because of the injury to MacKenzie ?

If that was the reason for it, then I can only assume that MacKenzie's injury isn't a major one.

Interesting that Hancock will almost be out of contract by the time the loan is up, unless he his recalled in January.

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

Interesting that Hancock will almost be out of contract by the time the loan is up, unless he his recalled in January

I have a feeling he'll leave at the end of his contract. It'd be interesting to see if we've let the contracts for youngsters slide a little with the turnover in management. I'd have thought likes of Hancock would be the next to be offered deals after Barron given he did well at Stirling Albion. You'd think we'd sort that out before any loan deal is agreed.

• Like 1

Just paving the way for the US transfer window then. Still think it’s best for all parties if he’s sold (providing we have someone else lined up).

I see miovski joined up with the squad yesterday. Genuinely intrigued by this team, can’t work out how we’re likely to set up. 

56 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

P&j reporting we are willing to listen to offers for ramirez 

This was always the case in my humble opinion.

MLS window runs 7th July to 4th August.

Would be positively astounded if he was still here by the close of their window. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Once again the dons are caught procrastinating in the transfer window, with Adam Montgomery moving to St Johnstone on loan. Why are we letting young prospects slip through our grasp?

Mowbray must go 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

This was always the case in my humble opinion.

MLS window runs 7th July to 4th August.

Would be positively astounded if he was still here by the close of their window. 

Aye, ditto.  I was genuinely surprised he came back for pre season but I suppose there are affairs to tie up and a free trip to Spain with the lads to enjoy (and who could blame him for wanting that).  

1 hour ago, Elgindon said:

If Ramirez goes,fine ..but on the off chance he doesnt ,I'll be curious to see what he does in the new line up..

I have thought about this also, he's a very good pen box striker at this level. Thing is I'm not convinced he would be number one cf under Goodwin and at his stage in his career I can't see him accepting that. 

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Once again the dons are caught procrastinating in the transfer window, with Adam Montgomery moving to St Johnstone on loan. Why are we letting young prospects slip through our grasp?

No harm to the lad but I didn't see much of a player in there.  Seemed to put a shift in at least 

2 hours ago, manc_don said:

Just paving the way for the US transfer window then. Still think it’s best for all parties if he’s sold (providing we have someone else lined up).

I see miovski joined up with the squad yesterday. Genuinely intrigued by this team, can’t work out how we’re likely to set up. 

There's defo grounds for optimism. The one I'm most  curious about is stewart.  As I said prior I have pal who's quite knowledgeable on the English lower leagues and he thinks he is tremendous business for us.  We defo lack a bit of leadership at the back and I'm hoping he brings it.  He's only 5'10 as well which adds a bit more intrigue too but abz did a pod with a guy from a Wycombe pod who assured this is nothing to worry about. 

Interestingly we still have a fair few Mcinnes players  left in the first team squad now.   

Mcrorie

Hayes

Lewis

Ferguson

Mackenzie

Can we include barron? 

We will probably be down fergie by the end of the window I reckon.  He's only got 2 years left and he ain't signing a new deal.  

37 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Interestingly we still have a fair few Mcinnes players  left in the first team squad now.   

Mcrorie

Hayes

Lewis

Ferguson

Mackenzie

Can we include barron? 

We will probably be down fergie by the end of the window I reckon.  He's only got 2 years left and he ain't signing a new deal.  

Technically Hayes is a Craig Brown player🧐

46 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Mcrorie

Hayes

Lewis

Ferguson

Mackenzie

Can we include barron? 

I know technically they may have got there first games under McInnes but I wouldn't count Mackenzie or Barron as McInnes players.

• Like 1

GK: Lewis, Roos. Won't be signing anyone else here.

RB: Richardson. Could do with one, even allowing for McCrorie as back up for RB.

LB: MacKenzie, Ngwenya. Can't see us signing one with Hayes also there but would love a first pick LB to be brought in.

CB: Stewart, Bates, Scales. Think we need another one here unless one of the youngsters is deemed ready.

CM: Barron, Polvara, Ramadani, McCrorie. Definitely a couple needed here and apparently being pursued.

Wing: Vicente, Kennedy, Hayes, Duncan, McLennan. Think we need at least one more here as well but don't know if it'll be a priority.

CF: Bojan, Watkins, Harvey. Think we'll need at least one here.

That's a 20 man squad as it stands - 21 if a young CB is being brought into the first team - assuming Ferguson and Ramirez go.

Still work to do and you can see why Goodwin might want four more.

Edited by wee toon red

4 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

1 hour ago, Madbadteacher said:

Fuck off!

Rather feel that this is a Wooooooosh moment for you MBT 😉

• Like 2

On 29/04/2022 at 16:20, BigAl said:

Brendan Hamilton from Glentoran

Teenage left back

Doesn't turn sixteen until mid May

And now we have him, two months to the day later. Confirmed on official site.

Welcome to Aberdeen Brendan.

The coaching staff seem to think very highly of this young lad.