Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

Football is a different world now. In my opinion we do our best to get the best players any way we can, buy or loan, to give us the best chance of success. We can’t afford high end players. Loaning Scales helps us short term. In this financial climate one year signings are the norm for us, that’s the reality of it. Loaning players we can’t afford to buy isn’t wrong, we have to accept the reality of the situation. I don’t give two fucks if loaning Christie Maddison or Scales helps the player or feeder club, they help us short term, hopefully to do well in the league and cups, bringing in money, that helps us afford better players. Would I rather loan Scales or see considine extended for one more year for example, easy answer from me. We do what we think makes us better on the pitch.

7 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Perhaps a back 3 is the plan? That’s 4 defenders, Gallagher Bates Stewart and Scales, one on the bench??

I hope we get some creativity ASAP…

JG aaid in the Hunter interview that a back four was definitely the plan going forward.

3 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Would I rather loan Scales or see considine extended for one more year for example, easy answer from me. We do what we think makes us better on the pitch.

At the moment, any impartial viewer would have to say that the full international with over 500 club appearances is significantly stronger than the guy with 35 games for Shamrock rovers. On paper, this guy looks nowhere near as good, and certainly a higher risk (Considine obviously not without risk, but he's not a player plagued with injury and generally very fit, hence saints' signing of him).*

If you had told any dons fan a few months ago that we'd be ditching Considine to get in an untested loanee with no option to buy, I think they'd have thought you were a bit mental. We are where we are of course, but it's fucking atrocious that we didn't have better options than a loanee guaranteed to miss at least three fixtures. I know I'd rather be starting with Considine on the opening fixture ahead of this season's left sided shoehorn. That we don't even have a permanent replacement lined up ready for the following season suggests that the request for a two year deal really wasn't a ridiculous one. 

Edit: *Of course Scales could be very good, there's no reason to think he won't be and he'll be given every opportunity. If he's very good then he won't be here longer than a year. I'm a traditionalist who likes a settled back two wherever possible, which seems unlikely for us for the next couple of seasons. Also, to add, was Luke Turner not already performing better in the diddly dee leagues than this lad?

Edited by RicoS321

5 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Football is a different world now. In my opinion we do our best to get the best players any way we can, buy or loan, to give us the best chance of success. We can’t afford high end players. Loaning Scales helps us short term. In this financial climate one year signings are the norm for us, that’s the reality of it. Loaning players we can’t afford to buy isn’t wrong, we have to accept the reality of the situation. I don’t give two fucks if loaning Christie Maddison or Scales helps the player or feeder club, they help us short term, hopefully to do well in the league and cups, bringing in money, that helps us afford better players. Would I rather loan Scales or see considine extended for one more year for example, easy answer from me. We do what we think makes us better on the pitch.

Are you suggesting the ONLY LCB we could sign, in world football, with our new improved Director of Football and Head of Recruitment was a young player on loan from a team in the same league, that our manager had previously made attempts to sign from the League of Ireland??

The addition of Maddison in your example, is a red herring. Maddison, Lowe, and Hector all improved us with no limitation on playing time and in no way benefitted a direct rival.

The Christie loan arguably cost us 2 cup wins. He was unavailable for the final in 2017 when he, given the chances we created, (I'd imagine) would have taken at least one. Then he went back to Celtic, after playing regularly for us and developing into a better player, scored the winner in the League Cup Final in 2018. 

What if Scales plays well for us, we make the Scottish Cup Final, and we end up with Bates and Gallagher at CB against the tims. Or points dropped against them due to the makeshift defence in 4 games costs us a European spot?

Then after he plays well for us for a season, he goes back and costs us more points or makes challenges or clearances that knock us out of another cup competition. Even just gets sold for double what they paid for him, benefitting them financially. 

The alternative is he's absolute pish and we're stuck with a bombscare at LCB or playing a RCB out of position. 

Like Rico, I'd rather Considine, but given we've now 3 RCB's why not Considine and A.N.Other. Either risky free signing or young loanee from a different league that we have the option to, or possibility of signing. It clearly wasn't one or the other. Any new player carries commensurate risk (keeping a known, experienced player such as Considine reduces that) but signing someone outhwith our league, at least, reduces the potential to benefit rivals at our expense. 

• Like 3

I won't make a habit of posting my articles on here, but decided to start an Aberdeen blog. Gives me a bit more freedom to write what I like than I get in the day job.

Anyway, pored over Anthony Stewart and Liam Scales performances last season, compared them to Gallagher and Bates, put two and two together and got three.

https://ullevi83.substack.com/p/do-aberdeens-new-signings-suggest

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Panda said:

I won't make a habit of posting my articles on here, but decided to start an Aberdeen blog. Gives me a bit more freedom to write what I like than I get in the day job.

Anyway, pored over Anthony Stewart and Liam Scales performances last season, compared them to Gallagher and Bates, put two and two together and got three.

Happy to support it mate, so feel free to post on here anyway. I know plenty of other forum sites that have bloggers posting theirs .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panda said:

A good read, mate. 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Panda said:

Don't see any issue either with you posting these Panda.

Enjoyed reading it mate.

Keep up the good work

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Keep up Jute 😂

Really excited about this one.

Well done to all at AFC that made this one happen

Noticed you replying as I was copying link in. 

This is an interesting one and more likely to get me to use my season ticket than loan signings from Victims. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jute said:

Noticed you replying as I was copying link in. 

This is an interesting one and more likely to get me to use my season ticket than loan signings from Victims. 

I deliberately didn't copy link so that I could get in ahead of you 😉

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Jute said:

I was going to say you only beat me because you didn’t know how to copy and paste but felt that would have been unfair. 

Very ageist comment that would have been mate 😀

Just knew it was quicker to type 

Sounds like this boy could be a really good bit of business. 

Boyce is a interesting one, really good penalty box striker imo and even at 31 I would expect plenty of goals from him should this be anything other than paper talk. If he did come in though surely that means ramirez is defo away?