Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Then find another target. We simply should not be developing players for either of the arse cheeks. He should be left to rot in their reserves. 

The season starts in two weeks.

Get him in on loan, hopefully he has a good season. If we can do a deal in 12 months, great. 

If not, we've apparently two good centre halves coming through the ranks. Or, after Scales heads the winner v Hearts in the Scottish Cup final to seal a £4m European football bonanza, we can buy better next summer.

The whole "developing a player for Celtic", I'm not arsed at the moment. I want us to have a good season after four years of dross. We need a left centre back, we've now got one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Then find another target. We simply should not be developing players for either of the arse cheeks. He should be left to rot in their reserves. 

I'm about 75% in this camp. This perpetuates the model whereby the "big" teams simply buy talent to then loan out. We're effectively subsidising them. I simply don't think that loans should form part of our business model at all. None of last season's loans worked, and few have. Where I'd make exceptions are guys like Logan, Reynolds, Watkins etc. who aren't getting a game for their side and we are likely to be able to pick up at the end of the deal (as opposed to developing a youngster). Exception would obviously be made for any loanee with agreement to purchase.

The other 25% is because Goodwin has to play with the hand he's dealt, so I think he should.

Our two chances of success this season are in cup competition. The chances of us beating the Tims (which we'll likely need to) on an off day is significantly reduced with our left centre half missing. We have zero cover in that role presently.

I don't like it, but I'm not totally aggrieved by it. Obviously I'll boooo the cunt the first time he misplaces a pass.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Panda said:

The season starts in two weeks.

Get him in on loan, hopefully he has a good season. If we can do a deal in 12 months, great. 

If not, we've apparently two good centre halves coming through the ranks. Or, after Scales heads the winner v Hearts in the Scottish Cup final to seal a £4m European football bonanza, we can buy better next summer.

The whole "developing a player for Celtic", I'm not arsed at the moment. I want us to have a good season after four years of dross. We need a left centre back, we've now got one.

This is a player Goodwin tried to sign for St Mirren in January and has been dropping hints about wanting to sign  for us since end of season so they have had plenty of time to get other targets who could come permanently. This is just a lazy signing. I would rather we give game time to a player who will be with us long term like Hancock or Towler to develop than developing a player for either of the arse cheeks. 

27 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I'm about 75% in this camp. This perpetuates the model whereby the "big" teams simply buy talent to then loan out. We're effectively subsidising them. I simply don't think that loans should form part of our business model at all. None of last season's loans worked, and few have. Where I'd make exceptions are guys like Logan, Reynolds, Watkins etc. who aren't getting a game for their side and we are likely to be able to pick up at the end of the deal (as opposed to developing a youngster). Exception would obviously be made for any loanee with agreement to purchase.

The other 25% is because Goodwin has to play with the hand he's dealt, so I think he should.

Our two chances of success this season are in cup competition. The chances of us beating the Tims (which we'll likely need to) on an off day is significantly reduced with our left centre half missing. We have zero cover in that role presently.

I don't like it, but I'm not totally aggrieved by it. Obviously I'll boooo the cunt the first time he misplaces a pass.

You'll get your chance on the opening day of the league season.

Oh no hud on a second 🙄

• Haha 4

Whether it's worth it or not will ultimately come down to how well he performs when he does play.  If he's solid as hell and a key member of a team that gets us into Europe/Cup success then you can argue it's a successful bit of business however much it might leave a bad taste in the mouth loaning from the tims. 

I think it's fair to say though that he's probably never breaking into the celtic team regardless of how well he does with us.  If he does well and enjoys his time here that could naturally lead to a permanent move like what nearly happened with Christie.

1 hour ago, Jute said:

This is a player Goodwin tried to sign for St Mirren in January and has been dropping hints about wanting to sign  for us since end of season so they have had plenty of time to get other targets who could come permanently. This is just a lazy signing. I would rather we give game time to a player who will be with us long term like Hancock or Towler to develop than developing a player for either of the arse cheeks. 

Are those players ready for first team football though?

Obviously, like everyone I'd prefer if it was a permanent deal, but if he's a good player then he's better being in our team than on Celtic's bench.

We're still after another centre half (Anthony Stewart it seems) so it's not the end of our business yet anyway.

I really expected a better standard of grammar on donstalk.

We didn't loan this tim, we borrowed him.

It was Celtic who loaned him.

Borrowing players is grovelling to who we obviously see as our betters.

I was still sticking with Goodwin despite what looks like shite signings, all be it with ever tightening gritted teeth, but borrowing players from the weegies has tipped me over the edge.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

Stewart from Wycombe confirmed. Two year deal.

Pretty happy with thst one to be honest going by the reaction of Wycombe fans to his departure.

JG building from back to front.

Don't wish to get greedy but could fo with a couple of forwards soon.

• Like 2

So we now have 3 right sided centre backs, that we own and who likely will all be higher earners, and 1 left sided centre back who won’t be able to play in the League or Scottish Cup nor any league against the tim’s. Making our defence unbalanced 3-6 times a season.

Have to assume we are trying to move Gallagher on, and if so bring in someone else who can play LCB. 

17 minutes ago, baggy89 said:

So we now have 3 right sided centre backs, that we own and who likely will all be higher earners, and 1 left sided centre back who won’t be able to play in the League or Scottish Cup nor any league against the tim’s. Making our defence unbalanced 3-6 times a season.

Have to assume we are trying to move Gallagher on, and if so bring in someone else who can play LCB. 

Also have McCrorie who cover on right side of defence if needed. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Has there been any further chat on the Norwegian striker we were supposedly interested in? Also heard there was another MTK guy we were looking at?

Looks like weve put in a bid for the Norwegian but not a done deal. The other guy at MTK looked a decent shout 

4 hours ago, donsdaft said:

Borrowing players is grovelling to who we obviously see as our betters.

Point one: We "borrowed" Callum Hendry from St Johnstone.

Point two: Celtic are better than us. And they'll be better than us next season, not because we're loa...sorry, borrowing Liam Scales, but because they're about to land £30m+ from the Champions League and can sign whoever they frigging want.