Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

13 minutes ago, BigAl said:

And now we have him, two months to the day later. Confirmed on official site.

Welcome to Aberdeen Brendan.

The coaching staff seem to think very highly of this young lad.

Uses the same tanning salon as Willo Flood apparently.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, DantheDon said:

I know technically they may have got there first games under McInnes but I wouldn't count Mackenzie or Barron as McInnes players.

Actually, both made their debut after he left.

Technically Mackenzie is a Paul Sheerin player, and Bannon belongs to Stephen Glass.

3 hours ago, BigAl said:

And now we have him, two months to the day later. Confirmed on official site.

Welcome to Aberdeen Brendan.

The coaching staff seem to think very highly of this young lad.

His dad is a massive Celtic fan and, going by his Twitter bio, can't spell UEFA.

That adds nothing to the debate, sorry.

5 hours ago, wee toon red said:

CB: Stewart, Bates, Scales. Think we need another one here unless one of the youngsters is deemed ready.

We've been linked with Jamal Amofa, 23-year-old centre half who is out of contract having turned down a new contract with Den Haag, and who can play on the left or right of defence.

Between us and three other clubs apparently. An ex-team mate of Vicente Besuijen which may swing it our way.

His birthday is also the same as mine, last Dons player to share such an honour was Jim Bett.

5 hours ago, wee toon red said:

Wing: Vicente, Kennedy, Hayes, Duncan, McLennan. Think we need at least one more here as well but don't know if it'll be a priority.CF: 

Would be surprised if McLennan stays beyond the transfer window. At the very least he'll go out on loan.

Edited by Panda

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Actually, both made their debut after he left.

Technically Mackenzie is a Paul Sheerin player, and Bannon belongs to Stephen Glass.

His dad is a massive Celtic fan and, going by his Twitter bio, can't spell UEFA.

That adds nothing to the debate, sorry.

We've been linked with Jamal Amofa, 23-year-old centre half who is out of contract having turned down a new contract with Den Haag, and who can play on the left or right of defence.

Between us and three other clubs apparently. An ex-team mate of Vicente Besuijen which may swing it our way.

His birthday is also the same as mine, last Dons player to share such an honour was Jim Bett.

Would be surprised if McLennan stays beyond the transfer window. At the very least he'll go out on loan.

I would be surprised if he did 2bh.  I think Goodwin likes him. 

10 hours ago, wee toon red said:

GK: Lewis, Roos. Won't be signing anyone else here.

RB: Richardson. Could do with one, even allowing for McCrorie as back up for RB.

LB: MacKenzie, Ngwenya. Can't see us signing one with Hayes also there but would love a first pick LB to be brought in.

CB: Stewart, Bates, Scales. Think we need another one here unless one of the youngsters is deemed ready.

CM: Barron, Polvara, Ramadani, McCrorie. Definitely a couple needed here and apparently being pursued.

Wing: Vicente, Kennedy, Hayes, Duncan, McLennan. Think we need at least one more here as well but don't know if it'll be a priority.

CF: Bojan, Watkins, Harvey. Think we'll need at least one here.

That's a 20 man squad as it stands - 21 if a young CB is being brought into the first team - assuming Ferguson and Ramirez go.

Still work to do and you can see why Goodwin might want four more.

We’re incredibly weak on the wing, must be improved for us to have any chance of success. We were at our best in recent years when we had two of the best wingers in the league in hayes and mcginn, not sure we have one that would be a guaranteed starter for any team in the league. I guess Vinny is our strongest and I’m not even sure he’s any good. Hayes does a job but not the player he was. I’d also like to see us punt mclennan and kennedy, they give us very little. Time to give a youngster time over them.

8 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

According to the P&J, were in for Jamal Amofa fae Den Haag. We are crying out for another right sided defender after all.

Apparently not according to todays P&J. We also knocked back a 2m offer from millwall for Ferguson. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

We’re incredibly weak on the wing, must be improved for us to have any chance of success. We were at our best in recent years when we had two of the best wingers in the league in hayes and mcginn, not sure we have one that would be a guaranteed starter for any team in the league. I guess Vinny is our strongest and I’m not even sure he’s any good. Hayes does a job but not the player he was. I’d also like to see us punt mclennan and kennedy, they give us very little. Time to give a youngster time over them.

I noticed towards the end of last season we didn't really play with wingers. All our wide men would play quite narrow. Even Besuijen was playing quite central v Hibs.

Maybe we'll see a system where our wing backs go wide and the forward guys tuck in.

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

According to the P&J, were in for Jamal Amofa fae Den Haag. We are crying out for another right sided defender after all.

He can play left and right. He played all across the back four last season, and also played in midfield. Just the type of back up player you want.

3 hours ago, manc_don said:

Apparently not according to todays P&J. We also knocked back a 2m offer from millwall for Ferguson. 

Apparently we've enquired about him but no offer made.

5 hours ago, Panda said:

I noticed towards the end of last season we didn't really play with wingers. All our wide men would play quite narrow. Even Besuijen was playing quite central v Hibs.

Maybe we'll see a system where our wing backs go wide and the forward guys tuck in.

He can play left and right. He played all across the back four last season, and also played in midfield. Just the type of back up player you want.

Apparently we've enquired about him but no offer made.

Would explain all the conflicting stories 🤷‍♂️ Sounds like he’s quite the utility player , not a bad thing. Will check with an ADO mate to see if there’s anything further to it.

3 hours ago, manc_don said:

Would explain all the conflicting stories 🤷‍♂️ Sounds like he’s quite the utility player , not a bad thing. Will check with an ADO mate to see if there’s anything further to it.

Utility player is usually football talk for not very good in any position. 

36 minutes ago, Slim said:

Dylan Levitt is available for £300k. I’d go for that rather than Ronan for £500k or McGrath on loan.

I've not seen too much of him but heard good things.  Is he not more of a centre mid though? 

7 hours ago, Slim said:

Dylan Levitt is available for £300k. I’d go for that rather than Ronan for £500k or McGrath on loan.

Absolutely, Levitt would be a great signing and if Dundee United land him for 300k it'll be the transfer of the summer.

I would guess though, with the likes of Aberdeen & Hearts being alerted, and presumably clubs in England, that 300k fee will shoot right up. 

It's also likely to include significant add ons, ie if he makes Wales' World Cup squad. 

7 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

I've not seen too much of him but heard good things.  Is he not more of a centre mid though? 

Last season he played RCM, LCM, as a defensive mid and on occasion as an attacking mid. He even played at LWB.

Passes into penalty area 47%, dribbling 60%, 38% shots on target, 26% crossing. Five goals.

While he was doing that, we had Funso Ojo, whose passes into penalty area was only 30%, successful dribbles less than 50%, shots on target 24%, crossing 22%. Scored once. He also hugged the right hand side while Levitt was more fluid. Levitt was also able to turn with the ball while Ojo could only run in a straight line (I know he's not here anymore but I'm still not over it).

Comparing Levitt to McGrath and Ronan.

McGrath - more of a wide midfielder, but his stats were actually very similar to Levitt. Less goals though, but probably because he was playing wider. Previous season, when played more centrally, he scored 17 goals. 

Ronan - again, not a huge difference in stats. But scored eight goals and had four assists so was more effective than all of them last season.

Any of them would be good signings. But McGrath (likely a loan) is 25. Ronan 24. Levitt is 21 and could be at a World Cup on his 22nd birthday, making him the much more enticing option.

1 hour ago, The D.O.C.1903 said:

Club seem to think it's ok to get rid of 11-12 players & only bring in 6or7? Okay ffs pathetic! ICT beat St Johnstone 6-2 last night!! We drew 1-1 we them last week,  all I'm saying is don't get yer fukn hopes up 

I’d argue (I hope) that we are trying to bring in more, particularly on the creative side, but with the level and type of player we are targeting they have options and it takes time (unfortunately.) Take McGrath and Ronan for example, I’m sure they both have a number of clubs interested.

Reports today that Dundee United are closing in on loan deals for Levitt & McGrath.

On one hand, they'd only be loans. Have a good half season and both could be away in January.

But on the other - if they manage to get Zander Clark, Dylan Levitt & Jamie McGrath all signed up then they're in good shape.

It also leaves us with just Ronan to go for from the three players we were talking about the other day, with Hearts apparently ramping up their interest.

I wonder if we are waiting to see who is available for loan as Goodwin already said he likes that market. Teams will not decide which players are surplus to requirements until later in window so might be hoping to get through first few games with what we have. 

Not a strategy I agree with on a number of levels but get the impression that might be what club is doing. 

26 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

I’d argue (I hope) that we are trying to bring in more, particularly on the creative side, but with the level and type of player we are targeting they have options and it takes time (unfortunately.) Take McGrath and Ronan for example, I’m sure they both have a number of clubs interested.

It's just frustrating as hell & add in the farce of ramy's & bojans visa hell and it's infuriating asf