Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

8 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Credit where its due, so far our transfers this window haven't had the scattergun feel of the last two

Easy there. Been excited before only for it all to go to shit. Gleason and Forrester got me excited! 
Defenders were needed, as was a center forward, but the creativity is the hard part. I rate Ramirez highly but with minimal service it all goes to shit. Two wingers and a number ten needed asap!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Easy there. Been excited before only for it all to go to shit. Gleason and Forrester got me excited! 
Defenders were needed, as was a center forward, but the creativity is the hard part. I rate Ramirez highly but with minimal service it all goes to shit. Two wingers and a number ten needed asap!

I didn't say I was getting excited. I said this window doesn't feel as scattergun as the last two.  Of course they could all be a disaster, very transfer is a gamble, but  we seem to be being far more considered in who are we bringing in this window. 

• Like 1

Goodwin said this afternoon he's not interested in Liam Boyce.

Makes sense since this guy is more of a second striker/winger, so with Watkins & Besuijen already on the books, and Kennedy seemingly very much in his plans, paying a fee for Boyce wouldn't make much sense.

Just need Tobias Lauritsen & Conor Ronan in now and then, shit, we might actually be in good shape. That'll take some getting used to.

19 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

I didn't say I was getting excited. I said this window doesn't feel as scattergun as the last two.  Of course they could all be a disaster, very transfer is a gamble, but  we seem to be being far more considered in who are we bringing in this window. 

You could be right. Although as OD says, we were excited by gleeson and Forrester. Up until his final window, I always got the impression that we were quite professional in our signing process under McInnes (although success rate low). Hopefully the data driven, football manager approach will return a higher success level. Glass was hung out to dry with no recruitment team in place for a guy coming from US, which was scandalous. It's difficult not to improve on that. What it did show is just how important transfers are to us, and how important a recruitment team is. I can't remember a single season in the last 30 years where we started a season without a single player who signed the previous year in the starting line up, and I think that might be the case this year. Watkins might be the only exception (and really he doesn't count having been here on loan previously so recruitment wasn't really required as such) and perhaps Bates may come in, but only because our Tim is ineligible. That is a massive indictment of Cormack's lax approach last season and in my opinion very little reflection on Glass.

4 hours ago, Panda said:

Just need Tobias Lauritsen & Conor Ronan in now and then, shit, we might actually be in good shape. That'll take some getting used to.

What I meant to say was let Sparta have Lauritsen, get Ramirez a puppy from the dog shelter to cheer him up, and spend Lauritsen's £300k transfer fee on landing Ronan.

THEN we'll be alright.

Rather have Miovski than Lauristen. Have a feeling it might have been one or the other. 
Love an attacking left footer with touch and skills. 
Has to be some Beautiful South puns and references given our week… 

Edited by baggy89
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, SeeBass said:

Everybody happy with the left back position???

I think it's a weak point. McKenzie finished the season quite well, but he's been a bit up and down and I think he's maybe a little slow and not an amazing crosser of the ball. I'm not wholly convinced. Ngwenya looked well away from ready in the games he played for the first team, so it's difficult to tell. I have a feeling that he won't make it with us though. Hayes is a good backup for that role, but wouldn't be happy with him there all season. Hope that answers your question!

10 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I think it's a weak point. McKenzie finished the season quite well, but he's been a bit up and down and I think he's maybe a little slow and not an amazing crosser of the ball. I'm not wholly convinced. Ngwenya looked well away from ready in the games he played for the first team, so it's difficult to tell. I have a feeling that he won't make it with us though. Hayes is a good backup for that role, but wouldn't be happy with him there all season. Hope that answers your question!

Thought Ngwenya looked decent for Kelty last season in cup game against St Johnstone. When I saw him in game against Stenhousemuir he looked good going forward but could not really judge on his defensive abilities as Kelty were pretty much on the front foot all game. McKenzie looks more like a left sided centre back than a left back but is serviceable as a left back against most of the league. 

2 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

BBC gossip column is reporting one of the tabloids saying Gallagher has been given permission to discuss a move to St Mirren. No mention of a fee but I presume we’d be happy to let him go to get as much of his wage off the books as possible.

We'll likely be supplementing the gap in wages I expect. Maybe a chance of getting Henderson or Grieve in return perhaps?