Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

15 minutes ago, The D.O.C.1903 said:

It's just frustrating as hell & add in the farce of ramy's & bojans visa hell and it's infuriating asf

Totally agree. But doesn’t it always seem to be this way? With such a limited budget these are always frustrating times. Any really good player has signing options and given we’ve just come off a shitty season, no Europe, and a relatively unknown/unproven manager, maybe even a little harder this summer? The visa situation is a little different but it just adds to the concern/frustration.

Edited by OrlandoDon
  • Like 3

The clear out has been reasonably successful for a single window. There were significant wages in that squad doing nothing. I think we could have gone one further with either McLennan or Kennedy going too, and obviously Ferguson needs to go for the betterment of squad harmony. Ramirez depends on Ramirez. Again, pretty good for a single window though.

I think we're a couple short otherwise, but we're not in a terrible position (assuming the visas get sorted soon). I like the idea of a smaller squad, supplementing with youth. The intriguing part will be how many of our signings turn out to be good enough. It'll be the difference between having a good season and a poor one. The concern there is that we've only gone for unknown quantities. It's a very high risk strategy. Hopefully it pays off. Certainly makes for an interesting season.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

The clear out has been reasonably successful for a single window. There were significant wages in that squad doing nothing. I think we could have gone one further with either McLennan or Kennedy going too, and obviously Ferguson needs to go for the betterment of squad harmony. Ramirez depends on Ramirez. Again, pretty good for a single window though.

I think we're a couple short otherwise, but we're not in a terrible position (assuming the visas get sorted soon). I like the idea of a smaller squad, supplementing with youth. The intriguing part will be how many of our signings turn out to be good enough. It'll be the difference between having a good season and a poor one. The concern there is that we've only gone for unknown quantities. It's a very high risk strategy. Hopefully it pays off. Certainly makes for an interesting season.

It appears to have been a decent window so far but I think it’s essential we get two creative players minimum, one central 10 and a wide player. More ideally as we’ll get injuries. We’ve missed that losing the likes of Wright, hedges, Christie, Maddison, mcginn aging out, even hayes getting older. I’d also throw the passing and attacking ability of McLean. I don’t see us going anywhere without creativity so while it seems to have been a good window so far it’s a definite failure if we fail to add creativity.

Not sure it’s worth getting your underwear soiled over visa issues. It’s the same for everyone at the moment and I’m sure there are more deserving people stuck in the approval process than a football player scheduled to play Peterhead.

9 minutes ago, Slim said:

Not sure it’s worth getting your underwear soiled over visa issues. It’s the same for everyone at the moment and I’m sure there are more deserving people stuck in the approval process than a football player scheduled to play Peterhead.

Name one.

27 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

It appears to have been a decent window so far but I think it’s essential we get two creative players minimum, one central 10 and a wide player. More ideally as we’ll get injuries. We’ve missed that losing the likes of Wright, hedges, Christie, Maddison, mcginn aging out, even hayes getting older. I’d also throw the passing and attacking ability of McLean. I don’t see us going anywhere without creativity so while it seems to have been a good window so far it’s a definite failure if we fail to add creativity.

Agreed on the number ten, pretty much a constant for us. I think Barron will shine in the McLean type role this season. Wouldn't be a massive issue if we didn't get a winger, I think we can survive on Besuijen, McLennan, Kennedy, Duncan, Hayes and Watkins until January if there isn't a good option now. I'd go for a number ten and a striker if we're only allowed two. Obviously zero left sided defender for the opening game an issue, but reckon we'll just have to hope we get lucky in that one.

4 hours ago, The D.O.C.1903 said:

Club seem to think it's ok to get rid of 11-12 players & only bring in 6or7? Okay ffs pathetic! ICT beat St Johnstone 6-2 last night!! We drew 1-1 we them last week,  all I'm saying is don't get yer fukn hopes up 

I worry for your blood pressure, stay safe min.

29 minutes ago, OxfordDon said:

I worry for your blood pressure, stay safe min.

I joined afc chat 2 months ago now that was bad for my blood pressure as it has some absolute cretins on it so asked the admin to remove my account'  there were maybe a handful of ok posters like minijc or mini but vast majority were just utter cretins.

• Like 2

Aye, I think we'll have to be a bit patient with the remaining ones. the visas are a slight concern, only in that we want them to have as much time with the squad as possible. Only one I want to see gone quickly is Ferguson, as Rico says, it's important for squad morale and togetherness that someone clearly heading out the door goes sooner rather than later.  Just hope a club puts in a reasonable offer soon.

Good to hear JG saying today he’s trying to get 3-4 more quality players in, think that’s what many of us are crying out for. Any chatter/gossip as to who we are talking to at the moment?? He made the comment in the interview about talking to players under contract, fair to say that’s possibly at least Ronan there?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, manc_don said:

Fergie off to Bologna in £3m deal apparently. Would be pleased enough with that.

Really good move for him if it goes through. We'll struggle to replace him, but definitely the right time for him to move. I don't think he really benefited in his last season for us. He's a little bit too good for her run of the mill SPFL game, which resulted in him playing for himself rather than the team. He needed that step up and new challenge, but with his poor stats (other than goals of course), he'll still be regarded as just potential. Italy could be the perfect way to fulfill that. He's not good enough for the premiership and needs the technical development that he probably wouldn't get in the championship. I think Italy will bring the best out of him.

23 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Really good move for him if it goes through. We'll struggle to replace him, but definitely the right time for him to move. I don't think he really benefited in his last season for us. He's a little bit too good for her run of the mill SPFL game, which resulted in him playing for himself rather than the team. He needed that step up and new challenge, but with his poor stats (other than goals of course), he'll still be regarded as just potential. Italy could be the perfect way to fulfill that. He's not good enough for the premiership and needs the technical development that he probably wouldn't get in the championship. I think Italy will bring the best out of him.

Absolutely where I want him to go. Will suit his style of play I think and great for his development. I will genuinely be pleased for him , he’s probably been under appreciated, much like jack was, and we’ll only realise how good they were until they’re gone. As I doubt we’ll get a suitable replacement. Here’s hoping we're wrong though. 

I've always tried to keep an eye on Bologna since one of my favourite foreign strikers Sweden's Kennet Andersson played for them.  I used to buy him on Sensible World of Soccer ALL THE TIME along with South African frontman Sean Dundee who when he signed for Liverpool we jumped up off my Mam's sofa and absolutely crushed my head off the ceiling!!

Kennet.jpg

Dundee.jpg

On 09/07/2022 at 03:22, manc_don said:

Fergie off to Bologna in £3m deal apparently. Would be pleased enough with that.

If you look at the bare “data”, Ferguson looks a cracking buy considering his goals/games/caps/age. Hopefully another sell on clause goes in and he might make us another few mill in a couple of years time. Will be interesting to see whether he goes on to bigger and better things or fades away. Good luck to him if he heads over to Italy, great opportunity for a young player.

Edited by wokinginashearerwonderland
  • Like 1