Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

3 hours ago, Panda said:

Right footed centre half? 

If we're going to sign a right-sided centre half, then his name should be Michael Hector.

Edit: To be fair, Wycombe fans rate him highly. 

We can rate a lot of players that we don't need highly. It's not a great signing policy.

So McCrorie into midfield then?

Made it into the National League team of the season last season (which, to be fair, is the least I'd expect of an Aberdeen signing playing at that level.)

General consensus is he's terrific going forward but can't defend. Perfect signing for us. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigAl said:

So already ruled out of at very least three games next season.

Surely there has to be an option to purchase involved in this

The issue with buying him permanently is he has three years left on his contract at Celtic worth about £750,000 which he probably expects to get. 

Not only are Celtic reluctant to sell, we'd need to make Scales one of our highest earners, as well as pay a transfer fee to Celtic. 

5 minutes ago, Panda said:

The issue with buying him permanently is he has three years left on his contract at Celtic worth about £750,000 which he probably expects to get. 

Not only are Celtic reluctant to sell, we'd need to make Scales one of our highest earners, as well as pay a transfer fee to Celtic. 

Far too sensible approach Panda and not sure I totally agree with all of what you say.

Celtic were allegedly prepared to recoup their outlay i.e. £500k

If Scales wants to play football then it was obvious he was going to have to leave Celtic. 

If he was the one that was going to excite the fans would we not have stretched to £5k per week.

On that basis no one loses out financially 

If this is the one that JG thinks will excite the fans then is surely way off the mark in his thinking.

Nothing against the boy Scales in any of what I say.

9 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Far too sensible approach Panda and not sure I totally agree with all of what you say.

Celtic were allegedly prepared to recoup their outlay i.e. £500k

If Scales wants to play football then it was obvious he was going to have to leave Celtic. 

If he was the one that was going to excite the fans would we not have stretched to £5k per week.

On that basis no one loses out financially 

If this is the one that JG thinks will excite the fans then is surely way off the mark in his thinking.

Nothing against the boy Scales in any of what I say.

But 500k + 750k in wages is a hell of an outlay for a relatively untested lad. 

2 minutes ago, Panda said:

But 500k + 750k in wages is a hell of an outlay for a relatively untested lad. 

Possibly, but we're certainly not going to get the finished model in that price bracket.

Classic stick or gamble scenario 😉

34 minutes ago, Panda said:

Then find another target. We simply should not be developing players for either of the arse cheeks. He should be left to rot in their reserves. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

If he makes our absolutely shambolic team better for 34/35 league games then I couldn’t give a fuck whether that “development” is good for Celtic or not as we’re light years away from being on the same planet as them anyway.

And we're certainly not going to get anywhere near, if we are developing their players at the expense of our own, while being unable to utilise said players against them. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, baggy89 said:

And we're certainly not going to get anywhere near, if we are developing their players at the expense of our own, while being unable to utilise said players against them. 

At the expense of our own? If we had any good ones we wouldn't need to loan Scales.

I totally get that in an ideal world we'd be signing players permanently and developing our own but sadly that world ended a long time ago, not just for us but for football as a whole. It's the club's job to put the best team on the park they can, both short and long term, and if a one-season loan improves the defence (short term) while allowing budget to be used to improve the team elsewhere (medium-long term) then that's a judgement only the club can make.

Supporters getting their knickers in a knot about loaning players from "them" or "them" doesn't really achieve anything.

• Like 1