Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

Get all your transfer rumours in here for this summer's window 

So far in terms of incoming the talk has been about goalkeepers with Alnick seeming to have replaced Clark as most likely target.

Supposed exclusive this morning that we are after Conor Ronan either on loan or as permanent signing in the summer. Hearts also linked. Wonder when the Hibs stories surface as well.

Jesus, not even reached the split yet. This must be the earliest transfer window thread on the forum? Shows how bad the season has been.

With three failed windows in a row, we're going to have to pull several rabbits out of the hat in this one. With hearts going through that phase of improving every window, slowly casting off the crap and getting one or two good ones in each time, we're now way behind them in terms of overall squad. The volume of deadwood we need to burn is significant and can't be done in a single window. Our recruitment strategy will not work (and I don't think it's meant to) with the size of turnover we'll need. With that in mind, I expect to see Goodwin make several safe signings from within the league. Guys that will get us slowly back up the table and be very low risk. Guys like Tanser at St Mirren (that sort of player, rather than him perhaps), maybe someone from Motherwell. They might try and get someone with previous spfl experience that's failed down South to replace Ferguson. I can't think who would fit the bill.

It's between hearts and Hibs for the group stages now, with hearts overwhelming favourites. I'm guessing that sort of thing will be a big selling point for guys like Ronan. I think next season will, unfortunately, be just a steady rebuild trying to get us comfortably top six and into Europe again. We're at least a season behind where we need to be thanks to Cormack's poor implementation of strategy. 

I'd be surprised if we don't sign at least four or five players proven playing in the Scottish top league.

As to who they'll be, haven't got a fucking clue.

@ Rico, it's never to early to speculate although this thread will be on the go for the next five and half months 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I’d take a punt on Alan Forrest at Livi. He’s on a free in the summer and looked decent whenever I’ve seen them play this season. Certainly an upgrade on McLennan.

He's decent like. Got an obvious ceiling in that he's not lightening quick (similar to his brother), but has a wee bit of room for improvement. Not the sort of player that would make us money, but solid enough.

In other transfer news, I'm hearing that the returning Considine and Watkins are like having new signings, so we should be set to go without much activity in the summer.

• Haha 1

His work rate seems to have slipped in the last few games and he looks tired. Maybe a few days off will help him. He's played a lot of minutes and he's been expected to do a lot of chasing. When he has got on the end of things recently, he's been slow to react. Reminded me of when we had Rooney up there for his last season, when things weren't being regularly put on a plate for him and we had nothing on the bench to replace him with. Lots of tired effort but no great return. It was noticeable against Hibs that our fullbacks had the ball on numerous occasions where Ramirez didn't make the run across to give them an out ball.

As for Ferguson, he's earned is move this season. We'll struggle to replace him, he's head and shoulders above any other midfielder outside the scum at this moment. When you look at guys like Newell that Hibs are signing and even Ojo with us, you can see how easy it is to sign guys who aren't quite up to it. Barron being there will dampen the loss, but we really need a good replacement. Maybe take Scott Brown back on severely reduced wages.

Slightly odd thing to say maybe but apart from his goals he gives very little to the team.  Doesn't hold the ball up particularly well, no great pace, not really a physical presence yet without his goals we would be in real trouble.  I tend to think if you are playing up front on your own you need to put yourself about a bit, like thon thug (the budget Bergkamp) that plays for Motherwell.

12 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Slightly odd thing to say maybe but apart from his goals he gives very little to the team.  Doesn't hold the ball up particularly well, no great pace, not really a physical presence yet without his goals we would be in real trouble.  I tend to think if you are playing up front on your own you need to put yourself about a bit, like thon thug (the budget Bergkamp) that plays for Motherwell.

I think it's very relevant. He's designed for a team that has plenty of possession and plenty of movement in and around him (via Hedges and Watkins for example). He's had very little of that this season. For most of our games, I think we'd have faired better with like of Van Veen (who has a better goals per 90 minute average) or even a Callum Hendry type player, who is a lot more of a nuisance. Ramirez is one of these players that is ideal for what we could be (and are in some games) rather than what we are - he's almost aspirational in that regard. I don't think there are many strikers within our budget that could have returned 20 goals this season, and that's really the sort of return you need from a guy like Ramirez in order to make up for the obvious deficiencies you mention (Rooney was similar). You can see with Anderson at Livi, that you don't have to spend a fortune to get a guy that can score goals if given the minutes on the pitch, but that will likely always have a ceiling. I don't think swapping Anderson for Ramirez would have got us any more goals as he wouldn't add anything we don't have with Ramirez, but we'd likely have got a similar return for significantly less money. I think Ramirez with Hedges, Wright and Watkins would have been phenomenal as he would have been on that wavelength, whereas somebody like Van Veen (or Anderson) would have been a step behind. The question is whether we think we can get the signings in the summer that would allow us to play to the level where we get the most out of Ramirez or not. I'm of the opinion that we might struggle. I think Watkins and Besuijen provide a good base, but we'll need at least another two players. More importantly, we also need to get the backup in place to allow us to hack our way through matches when we need to. I completely understood the thinking behined the Jet signing (although it should have been obvious that fitness would be an issue), but we simply can't afford to make the mistake of a guy like that again. If Ramirez was to leave then we should look at two good SPFL strikers instead, that may not quite be at Ramirez' level. Maybe one physical, and one quick like the good old days. I just have my doubts that we can perform the level of recruitment required in the summer to improve in every area of the pitch.

• Like 1

Thon decrepit auld cunt McMurder looking for a pay day off the back of Lewis Ferguson and hooring him to the Italians and trying to tell our Dave that he needs to be realistic about the potential fee we can get for him.

Wonder if he will be giving up part of his percentage. Seriously doubt it.

Actually thought the cunt was deid years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Jamie Langfield must be on his way up the road 😬

Not so sure about that Slim.

Sure I mentioned the possibility of this at the time of Goodwin's sppointment and someone mentioned he had interests outside St Mirren that made this unlikely.

13 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Bring him home. Just for the seethe of those who don't understand that poor goalie <> poor coach. Goodwin was pish at fitba, and he's already got us beating the likes of Hibs and challenging for top six glory.

Langfield apparently ruled out leaving St Mirren today.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Charles Dunne 😵

Is this someone's idea of an April Fool 🤔

I'm guessing it's either that or an agent trying to get his player a pay rise. He's a left sided defender, which is an area where we struggle depending on Considine, so might be okay as a cheap addition to the squad.

Can't think of many other St Mirren players we'd be looking at other than Ronan. Maybe Tanser, who's always looked fairly solid and dependable anytime I've seen him. Kiltie any good?