Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Films

manc_don

Part III is the weakest of the three. Part II is excellent but then if you spend your time wanking over bond films then when you watch a proper film it's not going to work for you.  ;)

What makes you think anyone is wanking over Bond films? All I'm saying about them is that you basically dismissed 40 years of extremely important British film making in a fairly flippant manner.

And what do you define as a "proper film"? Is a film not deemed 'proper' just because it's made in Hollywood or Pinewood and is aimed at a mass market? Are Ken Loach films 'proper' for example? Or is he too close to the fast food movies made in London and LA?

Big fan of Bond movies, love the first 2 Godfather movies and really wasn't keen at all on the 3rd.

A bit unfair to describe either/both the first 2 Godfather movies as "average" though!

I can appreciate the technical stuff like acting, character development, filming etc but did not feel compelled by the story at all.

Judge Dredd is out at the end of 2011.  I've high hopes for it.

comic01-judgedredd1.jpg

With all the years of material they have to draw on for this all they can do is fuck it up again. Karl Urban as Dredd is a fairly inspired piece of casting though. Also they have at least one oscar winner on the crew, Anthony Dod Mantle,  so thats a good sign as well.

Watched Inside Man last night. Pretty entertaining.

Saw it in the cinema when it came out and thought it was pretty good, but wasn't sure if it would be worth an other watch.  Now, I can't remember a thing about it, so maybe it could be worth a purchase on DVD...

Speaking of Bond.....

I watched The Longest Day recently, which is a black and white flick about the Normandy landings on D-Day.

Connery was in it, strangely enough he plays an Irishman (with a thick Scottish accent of course) who bitterly complains that the Scots can't play the bagpipes and the role of the piper who accompanies the soldiers onto the beach should have been Irish.  Way to go Sean.  :-\

Anyway, if you haven't seen the film, it's well worth a watch and if you've never heard the story of Bill Millin (the piper on that day) then get yourself educated sharpish.

Story goes that he walked up and down the beach playing the pipes during the landings and he later found out zat ze Germans didn't bother shooting him because they thought he a bit special in the head.  ;D

Bill Millin - look him up.  :thumbsup:

Speaking of Bond.....

I watched The Longest Day recently, which is a black and white flick about the Normandy landings on D-Day.

Connery was in it, strangely enough he plays an Irishman (with a thick Scottish accent of course) who bitterly complains that the Scots can't play the bagpipes and the role of the piper who accompanies the soldiers onto the beach should have been Irish.  Way to go Sean.  :-\

Anyway, if you haven't seen the film, it's well worth a watch and if you've never heard the story of Bill Millin (the piper on that day) then get yourself educated sharpish.

Story goes that he walked up and down the beach playing the pipes during the landings and he later found out zat ze Germans didn't bother shooting him because they thought he a bit special in the head.  ;D

Very good movie, stellar cast!

Speaking of Bond.....

Great film. Still prefer A Bridge too Far myself though.

As an aside one of the actors in The Longest Day was actually in the oxs and buffs who landed at, took, and held pegasus bridge from the germans on D-Day.