Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Major Restructuring in the Pipeline for SPL

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My sentiments also. Was just saying last night that I am losing interest in football with each passing week. Having regularily attended football for over forty five years, I seriously wonder if I'm reaching the stage where I could be lost to it.

I really fear for the future, not only of Scottish football but football in general.

Can't say i'm quite in the same boat, but i've definitely lost a bit of love for football over the past year or so (probably more-so on the back of the Olympics). I can't quite put my finger on why, maybe it's just the amount of money involved in the game / play acting and the obvious decline of AFC.  I can't remember the last set of AFC highlights i've even bothered to watch.  Every thing that is to do with the SPL (be it past or future "proposals") has become nothing short of a laughing stock.  How is this changed? I have no idea, maybe football needs to eat itself before rebuilding once again.  Certainly seems to be whats needed in Scotland anyway.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sentiments also. Was just saying last night that I am losing interest in football with each passing week. Having regularily attended football for over forty five years, I seriously wonder if I'm reaching the stage where I could be lost to it.

I really fear for the future, not only of Scottish football but football in general.

I'm certainly experiencing a bit of this. I just couldn't give a fuck. I was discussing the remaining fixtures with a mate and he was saying we were never going to get a result at Celtic Park and I thought "Even if we did I wouldn't give a fuck and I'm probably not the only one". I've enjoyed the EPL far more in recent seasons.

Yet another steel toe capped hoof in the knackers to my prospects of giving a shite about anything football related.

Clearly the ideal set up is for a four team top league of Old Firm 1st and 2nd teams who can be both home and away every weekend and can be sponsored easily, given the outstanding nature of the brand, to the same extent as the EPL, because these are the only matches Sky will cover and generate revenue.

They could be sponsored by something appropriate too, a worldwide instantly recognisable brand. Vagisil.

For cunts. 

Got to agree with the sentiments of the last few posts, I love aberdeen fc, but I've totally fallen out of love with all things Scottish football. Like BigAl I've even stopped sky plusing motd, after watching it religiously for as long as I can remember. I've said for years the champions league is boring and predictable.

Wish I had a local highland league team I could go and support.

Celtic boss Neil Lennon admits he would be interested in the club fielding a second team in the Scottish Football League.

But Lennon believes the idea is unlikely to gain support from other member clubs, as Scottish Football spends another period of uncertainty over possible league reconstruction for next season.

When asked about the idea of a Celtic colts side playing in the lower leagues, Lennon said: "Why not?

"I think it would be good for the game but from what I gather there is not too much support for that. I think it was mooted maybe a year or two ago but nothing was taken on with it.

"For us, it is a good idea. Ourselves and Rangers are probably the only clubs who could afford to do that. Whether it would bring crowds in, give our players experience, I don't know."

::)

RANGERS Chief Executive Charles Green has released the following statement on league reconstruction:

“The continuing debate on reconstruction of Scottish football is leaving football fans up and down the country bewildered and thoroughly exasperated – and who can blame them?

“They feel their voice is being ignored by their own clubs let alone the football authorities and fear the current proposals will not herald meaningful change.

“I would like to make Rangers’ position on this issue crystal clear so there can be no ambiguity when clubs within the SFL and the SPL come to vote on a reconstruction model.

“First, we obviously support the creation of a single league body as anything that can be done to streamline the byzantine structures of Scottish football should be welcomed.

“Secondly, I am disappointed that the notion of a league structure of three leagues comprising 14 teams each was not pursued more vigorously as this would have gone some way to addressing the concerns of many football fans regarding small leagues.

“Given we are where we are, I am putting forward the following league structure proposals which I firmly believe to be in the interests not only of Rangers but also Scottish football as a whole.  It is essential that any proposals address satisfactorily the issue of sporting integrity and I believe our proposals do that.

“All things being well, Rangers should win the Division 3 title and, that being the case, we should be  promoted.  That should happen regardless of what league structure the powers that be put in place.

“It would be manifestly wrong to deny any team promotion having won the competition they have entered into at the start of the season. Equally, teams which have been relegated should not benefit unfairly from any a restructuring of leagues.

“The principle of promotion and relegation for the clubs which fall into these categories at the end of this season should be enshrined in any new league set up.  So, if, as widely predicted, we end up with a 12-12-18 set up, Rangers should be promoted and this promotion should be to the middle tier.

"There is already a precedent for this situation, established by the SFL at the end of the 1993-94 season when Stranraer, winners of the lowest of three divisions, were promoted to the new second tier on the basis they were champions of their division and merited promotion.

“Indeed, recently the chairman of Stranraer FC referred to the matter and supported the prospect of Rangers being promoted in the event of a 12-12-18 outcome. There has been no shortage of voices banging on about sporting integrity over the last year but sporting integrity must cut both ways. Should that be observed during reconstruction discussions then significant benefits would delivered, particularly to clubs in the middle tier who have yet to reap any financial benefit from Rangers playing in lower divisions.

“As we have seen recently many clubs are struggling and the likes of Dunfermline would be given a much-needed financial boost by Rangers playing in their division.

“Clubs in Division 3 are already enjoying a season where their home matches against Rangers are generating 10 times the revenue they would expect from any other home game. In the exceptional case of Queen’s Park, their home matches against us at Hampden will generate several seasons’ worth of gate receipts.

“We are genuinely pleased to have done our bit to assist these clubs financially and have been warmly welcome by SFL clubs. We would like to continue helping the game in Scotland and that’s why I am proposing that a Rangers’ Colts team be admitted to the SFL, and I hope Celtic would also consider doing the same.

“The SFL has shown real leadership in proposing this initiative although it should be pointed out that this was not the result of lobbying from this Club. This is an SFL initiative and is genuinely practical in that it would result in bringing much needed additional income to the game.

“My rationale is that when Rangers are promoted, the lowest league will return to where it was in terms of revenue generation. A Rangers Colts team would add value to the league and other clubs would see their home gates enhanced significantly by Rangers fans, particularly those who lived locally.

“I would also be prepared to guarantee other clubs the ticket revenue equivalent of 300 Rangers fans turning up for matches.

“This initiative would help smaller clubs who have no choice but to generate revenue any way that they can. I should point out that such a proposal would often double the gate at in the lowest division. In fact, such a scheme would have virtually doubled the attendance at the weekend at one Division 1 fixture.

“If the 12-12-18 structure is to be the chosen one then I would propose that two additional teams, one a Rangers Colts team, are added to the lowest league. Of course, as chief executive of Rangers, I have a duty to pursue the interests of this club. I have talked openly in the past about exploring other playing environments and change may well happen at some time in the future but no-one knows when.

“As things stand, we all have a duty to do the best for the game as well as our clubs and that is why I think these proposals would be good for Scottish football. All I ask is that these proposals are discussed and considered in a fair and balanced manner.”

Charles Green basically bribing SFL clubs to accept Colt teams:

BOTTOM tier clubs look set to snub Charles Green’s cash offer to vote Old Firm colt teams into league reconstruction.

The Ibrox owner offered to pay clubs the equivalent of 300 sold tickets – between £3000 and £4000 – every time his young second string side plays away.

The offer was intended as an incentive for current Third Division clubs to deviate from the current proposal for a new 18-team bottom tier in favour of two leagues of 10, with Rangers and Celtic colts making up the numbers.

But the message from a clutch of SFL directors is a resounding no, with Stirling Albion’s chairman Stuart Brown insisting Green’s cash offer wouldn’t even cover the cost of policing these games.

Brown said: “This is Mr Green at his best. While I’m sure he’s making the gesture with the best of intentions, I suspect the sum would not cover the cost of putting on such a game.

“I don’t imagine the police viewing the colt teams any differently from Rangers and Celtic’s first teams.

“I don’t mean that as an insult in any way to Rangers. On the two occasions they came to our stadium, there have been zero arrests and zero trouble. But that does not change how the police approach these games.

“Mr Green’s offer does not change our thinking. We’re committed to bringing change to Scottish football and, frankly, the curve balls are not helping.

“We are in favour of the 12-12-18 set-up with a new financial model that spreads the wealth more evenly and a change of governance to one united league body.”

Clyde chairman John Alexander said: “We regard this as nothing but a short-term offer that wouldn’t have much long-term benefit for the bottom division clubs.

“Our club’s position is to support the original proposal that was tabled – a bottom league of 18.

“Even at the outset any discussion of expanding beyond that involved two new clubs, not Rangers and Celtic colts.”

ALLOA chairman Mike Mulraney has laughed off Rangers’ demand to be fast-tracked up the leagues.

Charles Green wants the Ibrox club parachuted into the second tier of the proposed 12-12-18 set-up.

Alloa are chasing promotion from the Second Division and Mulraney said: “My reaction is one of mild amusement. Wouldn’t it be lovely if we all got to dictate which league we play in next season?

“Rangers are trying to bat for what is in their interests. They are entitled to put forward their case, I am entitled to ignore it.

“Alloa won the Third Division last season. Does that mean we deserve to go up two leagues? If we win promotion we’d go up on merit. That would be fair.”

I got a season ticket, but when all this mess was coming out of the SPL about restructuring the league in time to save rangers i washed my hands off scottish fitba. only there to protect that hun team.

currently i'm enjoying watching live NBA basket ball  :rofl:  and NHL games ( go Toronto) As the NFL is shut down atm

The restructing has fuck all to do with rangers.  The only noises about rushing them up the leagues are coming from Green and his mouth pieces, nobody else has the slightest interest.  Shit Scottish football is still better than what passes as sport in North America

SFL wants change plan put on hold for a year

Published: 29/03/2013

The Scottish Football League has told the Scottish Premier League it wants plans for a radical revamp of the national game to be put on hold for a year.

Twenty-nine of the 30 SFL clubs met at Hampden yesterday to discuss league reconstruction proposals and a merger with the SPL.

The lengthy talks resulted in consensus that there is an appetite for change but around half of those represented expressed concerns about changes being implemented in time for the coming season.

Peterhead statement:

The planned reconstruction of Scottish football has created many column inches of newspaper editorial and media coverage, much of which has been sensational, some of which has been sensible and as per usual much of which has been nonsense. We would therefore like to clarify our stance on these new proposals following the debate which took place at Hampden on 28th March.

Our previous meetings with our SFL colleagues regarding these proposals had been positive. We all felt that change was required and the time was upon us to deliver a new, more collective approach to the administration of our game. The SFL had put together a package of changes which had been presented to the SPL; the SPL agreed that changed was required but countered with their own proposal.

This new SPL package was debated and although it was far from a perfect solution it did deliver the key areas for change:

1 Governing Body

Redistribution of finance

Healthy promotion, relegation and play-off system

Pyramid system allowing for future growth.

A vote was taken at a previous meeting and the result was 28-1 in favour of progressing the SPL Package to the next stage.

We reconvened on Thursday to further discuss the details of the planned changes.

Governance issues, due–diligence problems and timescales were all covered. These areas, we agree are incredibly important and every care should be taken to ensure that all parties are safeguarded and we create a governing body not just for the short-term but for our long term future. The main concern from some of the SFL members was the timescale factor which was discussed at length. However the end result of this over-zealous procrastination now has the potential to de-rail all our previous progress and create divisions when we had unanimity.

At the end of our meeting we again took an indicative “vote” for the Implementation of the SPL package at the beginning of next season. This time the result was 14/14. The main reason given for the change in mind of majority of clubs was the timescale.

We accept the rational and agree that timescales are difficult and in other circumstances many of the reasons against change would be compelling. Indeed in business we would not consider a take it or leave it proposal as has been presented by the SPL, but the alternatives are grim.

Clubs in the 2nd/3rd Division have nothing to gain financially in the short term from “Reconstruction”, but we, as a club must look at the wider picture and judge what is best for the future of our national game. If we risk a situation whereby the 1st Division Clubs move to join the SPL then it would spell disaster and the opportunity to form one association to drive Scottish Football forward would be lost. The clubs that would remain would become a forgotten entity by media, sponsors and fans alike and stifle ambitious clubs such as ourselves in making progress up the ladder.

Therefore, on behalf of the board of Peterhead Football Club we would like to urge Neil Doncaster and David Longmuir to meet further to discuss lingering doubts and allay the doubts of those members who are concerned over the timescale of these proposals. We would also like to urge our fellow members of the SFL who voted against the reconstruction and unified governing body plans to please reconsider their position of requesting a further season of deliberations.

In the past year our leadership within the SFL over the Rangers saga and league reconstruction has been faultless, now is the time to stand together and take this opportunity to revitalise our game and not give the SPL the option of walking away from these proposals due to a divided SFL and all the negative repercussions that will follow from that.

Major change and especially football change, require a leap of faith by all parties concerned, status quo is not an option beyond this season if we are to bring excitement and competition back to our game

Chairman Rodger Morrison

Vice-Chairman Ian Grant