Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Major Restructuring in the Pipeline for SPL

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm interesting I suppose, not much interest for summer football, or even an earlier start

Preferred Season

39% August - May Season

30% July - May (with winter break)

28% March - Nov

Top League Size

10 Teams - 2%

12 Teams - 9%

14 Teams - 15%

16 Teams-  51%

18 Teams - 18%

Also 52% claim they don't buy alcohol on match day  :o

Other than that is it not just a puff piece for the SFA?

hmm interesting I suppose, not much interest for summer football, or even an earlier start

Preferred Season

39% August - May Season

30% July - May (with winter break)

28% March - Nov

Top League Size

10 Teams - 2%

12 Teams - 9%

14 Teams - 15%

16 Teams-  51%

18 Teams - 18%

Also 52% claim they don't buy alcohol on match day  :o

Other than that is it not just a puff piece for the SFA?

Depends if Dave's got a BBQ or not.

hmm interesting I suppose, not much interest for summer football, or even an earlier start [/quuote]

Theres not much interest in general.

I see Summer football as a positive change for the following reasons

1) Better Weather (occasionally)

2) Large chunk of the season is in the summer holidays so good chance more kids will start going. Also majority of training etc wont clash with homework so the kids teams get more time with coaches etc.

3) For most of the season Scottish football is not competing with Champions league , La Liga, English premiership etc for an audience so less chance of the 'ah fuck it im staying in to watch barcelona vs real madrid for the 8th time this year'. Surely a good target for sponsors too?

4) When the season is over you have something to fill the void. ie premiership/ la liga

a 1month break for world cups and 2 week break for European championships every few years aint gonna kill it either.

Never gonna happen though. Old Firm will never go for it for numerous reasons

St Mirren and Ross County to vote no:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22063775

Outlining their opposition to the plan, the Paisley club said: "The concept of playing 22 games prior to breaking into three leagues of eight, including the middle eight losing their points gained in the first series of games, is not a system we see as taking the game forward in the long term.

"You will be aware that other countries have tried this system and have since rejected such a set up.

"We also feel that this system is not fair to fans who buy into their club by way of a season ticket, who are then unsure of what they are purchasing.

"It is also against the basic wishes of the fans for larger leagues as highlighted in all recent fan surveys.

"In the proposed rules the voting structure is remaining, in all items that are of importance, an 11-1 vote. In our opinion, this is fundamentally wrong in any structure and is the principle reason why Scottish League Football has not been able to restructure prior to this time, a view St Mirren have held for some time."

:clap:

Meant to post that last night (well St. Mirren's statement anyway).  Very positive reading and i'm glad to see someone has the games future at heart.

Being accused of self interest by Alex Bottling Bastard Smith in the papers this morning.

haha sorry manc. Allow me to gently withdraw my tokely.  ;)

Apology accepted! A lunch pint would help though...

I did not realise that part of the new league set up is maintaining the 11-1 voting structure. If that is the case why are Dons backing this farce?

I was wondering the same thing but assumed that this was only referring to the current arrangement.  Why anyone would want to keep this is ludicrous.

I was wondering the same thing but assumed that this was only referring to the current arrangement.  Why anyone would want to keep this is ludicrous.

I remember not long after the huns were denied re-access to the spl there were some stories about this that Aberdeen were one of the few clubs that wanted to keep it.  Mind boggling if true.  It may end up that the SPL will have to be dissolved to get rid of it

Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne: "If you had any idea of the compromises we went through to get to the stage where there's one plan on the table, you would understand why you can't put all this effort and compromise in, then want to pick out the bits we don't like and discard them. "It's fixed up as a plan, a whole plan. It doesn't stack up if you start to pick out the bits you don't like."

Milne was angry that the Paisley club's chairman had not been willing to accept the change in voting structure in exchange for passing the full proposal.

"One club in particular, you need to ask exactly what their agenda is, is St Mirren," he told BBC Scotland.

"There was a major concession on the table today and if it didn't deliver then the opportunity was there to look at it down the line within two to three years.

"This is going to have major implications for Scottish football in the short term and could potentially damage the game in the long term.

"I am very angry because today we have let down Scottish football and one person in particular.

St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour

"St Mirren Football Club have really go to go and pose themselves the question, 'why they are prepared to put the rest of Scottish football in jeopardy just because of their own selfish interests?'."

A statement on behalf of the SPL board expressed its "deep disappointment" that three years of "tireless work" had been "blocked".

Chairman Ralph Topping, who had previously announced that he was stepping down, said: "I would like to thank those who have supported these proposals, including those full-time professional clubs outside of the SPL, who find themselves let down by today's vote."

Very disappointed with Milne's comments this afternoon, WTF is going on?

If AFC hadn't voted to keep the 11-1 voting structure then this wouldn't have happened.  As somebody on the BBC website said - what goes around comes around.

I still don't understand why the SPL feel that supporters should buy season tickets why they wouldn't know whether they will be playing SPL or First Division clubs after the split!

they proposed pish that was never going to happen anyway so that they could now walk away from the table, fail to live up to their responsibilities to save the game in jockland, and blame other people. cockwomble etc will walk away and into similar roles in other industries because they heroically tried to make needed changes but baddies prevented it from happening.

DEFLECT