Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Major Restructuring in the Pipeline for SPL

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 30 Scottish Football League clubs unanimously back a restructuring plan to merge with the SPL and have 3 leagues of 16, 10 and 16

The SFL restructuring plans now go to the SFA Game board , and need approval from the SPL. But it would require an 11-1 vote from spl clubs

if they vote to introduce that for 2014/15, then assuming newco go up this season, they'd only need to finish mid-table in the season affected by their summer transfer ban in order to qualify for the second tier. Then, free to buy players again, they only have 9 teams between them and the top-flight.

They wouldn't be trying to pull a fast one on us here, would they?

if they vote to introduce that for 2014/15, then assuming newco go up this season, they'd only need to finish mid-table in the season affected by their summer transfer ban in order to qualify for the second tier. Then, free to buy players again, they only have 9 teams between them and the top-flight.

They wouldn't be trying to pull a fast one on us here, would they?

Did they not say it will be from 2015/16?  Why would it be in the SFL clubs' interest to have the supposed cash cow of The Rangers by-passing a league?

It's not always a conspiracy Linda!

Did they not say it will be from 2015/16?  Why would it be in the SFL clubs' interest to have the supposed cash cow of The Rangers by-passing a league?

It's not always a conspiracy Linda!

but, usually it is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20329684

"The 30 Scottish Football League clubs have unanimously voted to propose a new three-tier league structure of 16, 10 and 16 teams for season 2014-15."

but, usually it is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20329684

"The 30 Scottish Football League clubs have unanimously voted to propose a new three-tier league structure of 16, 10 and 16 teams for season 2014-15."

Well it's irrelevant as afc and celtic won't vote for it so it's not happening.

I'm supporting the 12-12 idea from the SPL  :thumbsup:

2 x 12 becoming 3 x 8?  Sounds absolutely shite to me.  Sixteen team top division playing home and away please, if that doesn't give them enough games make the league cup a champions league format to fluff up the numbers a bit.

Doncaster's a cunt.

2 x 12 becoming 3 x 8?  Sounds absolutely shite to me.  Sixteen team top division playing home and away please, if that doesn't give them enough games make the league cup a champions league format to fluff up the numbers a bit.

Doncaster's a cunt.

Far too sensible CtS, you can't possibly have the interests of Scottish football at heart ya knob ;)

Split the teams into regional leagues of, say 6. Play each other team in your league home and away 4 times, then a selection of the other teams (based on previous season(s) performance?) 8 home, 8 away to give 36 games. then the winnerrs of each league go into, call it a "playoff" system 1 leg "knockout" games to decide the final positions.

(Or, more briefly, copy the NFL/NBA/MSL/NHL/MLB system)

Split the teams into regional leagues of, say 6. Play each other team in your league home and away 4 times, then a selection of the other teams (based on previous season(s) performance?) 8 home, 8 away to give 36 games. then the winnerrs of each league go into, call it a "playoff" system 1 leg "knockout" games to decide the final positions.

(Or, more briefly, copy the NFL/NBA/MSL/NHL/MLB system)

So the North East would be... Aberdeen , Brechin, Montrose, Abroath, Dundee and United? Fuck knows what the "Highland regional division" would look like? Inverness, Ross County, Nairn County , Forres, Elgin and Keith? All sounds horrific. Lets leave this funny stuff to the yanks.

btr, the main attraction of a 16 team league for me (as a fan) is quite straight forward.  More variety, less repetitive, and a sensible straightforward league format that doesn't further humiliate scottish football to outside observers.  Any kind of split mid-season is wrong in my opinion. 

I haven't really got answers about 'the national team' and 'finances', but I'm guessing both those issues are at an all time low anyway, and I can't see how an 8-8-8 set up would improve those situations either?

We need a pyramid system like the english fa, whereby ambitious amateur clubs (like the rangers  ;) ) can start at the very bottom and work their way up. In fact the whole english set up should be a model for the future of our game, albeit on a smaller scale.

btr, the main attraction of a 16 team league for me (as a fan) is quite straight forward.  More variety, less repetitive, and a sensible straightforward league format that doesn't further humiliate scottish football to outside observers.  Any kind of split mid-season is wrong in my opinion. 

I haven't really got answers about 'the national team' and 'finances', but I'm guessing both those issues are at an all time low anyway, and I can't see how an 8-8-8 set up would improve those situations either?

We need a pyramid system like the english fa, whereby ambitious amateur clubs (like the rangers  ;) ) can start at the very bottom and work their way up. In fact the whole english set up should be a model for the future of our game, albeit on a smaller scale.

I'm not sure increasing the quantity will really increase the variety.  With a 16 team top league there are likely to be the same small number of teams being relegated/promoted each year as the variation in the top 20 teams in the country is pretty limited.  Further more I see it unlikley that more folk will turn up at Pittodrie for a game v Hamilton Accies rather than a second game against, for example, Hearts, while equally I doubt we'll take as many to Hamilton as we would do to Gorgie.  It's all very well saying we want more teams and variety but I suspect as well as losing the cash from 3 home games we'll end up with a smaller average attendance.

We do need more variation and that can be provided by a 12 team league that has a decent promotion/relegation set up.

8-8-8 gives you alot of variation and given that the bottom 4 from the top league who have been losing all season go head to head with the top 4 from the second league who will have been winning all season, would suggest to me you could have as many as 3 or even 4 new teams starting out in the top league the following season.

The set up ensures competitive games that means something almost all the way through the season, hence big crowds and a bigger shake of the leagues each season.

16 team league means a massive dead space of meaningless games from probably 7th to 12th, with a subsequent drop in crowds, less enticing teams coming to Pittodrie and more boring trips to the likes of Hamilton.

Just so I can get this right in my head, after the 8-8-8 split the top 8 are guaranteed to be in the top 12 the following season, joined by the top 4 from the middle 8?  Therefore there's a totally meaningless end of season cluster of fixtures for most of the top 8 clubs too, only the top 3 or 4 will be battling for europe...or am I missing something?

True that ^

Let's face it, as enticing as a 16 team league sounds in theory, who are the other four teams who are worth bothering travelling to? Outside of Dunfermline, which teams would you really give a fuck about travelling to? Raith, Livi, Hamilton and perhaps Plastic Whistle at a push.

What happens the following season when potentially three teams go down and another three new ones come up? Who are we gonna be facing then? Pretty sure SkySports ain't gonna give a fuck about Raith vs Cowdenbeath infront of 183 fans.

Looking at the bigger picture for the Scottish game though, the clubs you mention will benefit financially from mixing with spl teams, allowing them to strengthen and ultimately attract more fans back.  The 'closed shop' that the spl has become is not healthy for the scottish game as a whole.

8-8-8 just sounds like nonsense to me.  I agree with CtS, I can't stand the split and if they are going to re-organise the league and introduce another split then Scottish Fitba will just look stupid.

Top league of 16 or 18 for me.  Couldn't give a fuck if places are attractive to travel to or not.