manc_don

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resignation handed in - Check!

Notice worked - Check!

Bags packed - Check!

I've finally stuck it to the man and as of this afternoon, I've officially turned on, tuned in and dropped out for the next 3 months.   ;D

I dare say I'll be back in from time to time but that'll depend on wireless connections and internet cafes.  So until then, I bid you all a fond farewell, auf wiedersehen, arrivederci, au revoir, ha det bra, adios, farvel, tot ziens, hejdÃ¥.

Might see you in some sunny square someplace in July. 

Stand free loons and quines!  :thumbsup: 

8)

Have a blast man !

Today in Bergerac its 32 degrees c just had a bar B que and my kids are running around the Garden under the water sprinkler nae bad for 5 past 8 at night !! 

quality man  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Four weeks today Sharpie. Can't wait. Have you been back out that way recently?

No, headed out to Belgrade on the 8th of August. Taking in the Guca trumpet fest, staying in the Serbian mountains near Pozega. Then headed up to Novi Sad for a few days culminating in a trip to Budapest for the Sziget fest.

You're going to Budapest aren't you BB? If so, make sure you buy booklets of 10 metro/bus tickets at the station when you arrive. Makes life a lot easier. Also, check out Szimpla Kert (bar on Kaszinsky Utca I think). That street has a few nice bars on it, not too far from the Opera. And if you visit the open air baths in the park on the  Pest side. Make sure you go through the main entrance and not the side one which myslef and TC did. Nearly got fined for having our stuff there past 7pm!

The Kulak restaurant was good for Hungarian food.  :thumbsup:

No, headed out to Belgrade on the 8th of August. Taking in the Guca trumpet fest, staying in the Serbian mountains near Pozega. Then headed up to Novi Sad for a few days culminating in a trip to Budapest for the Sziget fest.

Sounds tremendous mate. You been to Belgrade before? We've added Novi Sad into our trip as we weren't sure if we'd make it at first, but it's a definite now.

You're going to Budapest aren't you BB? If so, make sure you buy booklets of 10 metro/bus tickets at the station when you arrive. Makes life a lot easier. Also, check out Szimpla Kert (bar on Kaszinsky Utca I think). That street has a few nice bars on it, not too far from the Opera. And if you visit the open air baths in the park on the  Pest side. Make sure you go through the main entrance and not the side one which myslef and TC did. Nearly got fined for having our stuff there past 7pm!

The Kulak restaurant was good for Hungarian food.  :thumbsup:

Yeah manc, we're flying there so that's the first port of call.  did you like it?

what's Szimpla Kert like?

Where was the Kulak?

Sounds tremendous mate. You been to Belgrade before? We've added Novi Sad into our trip as we weren't sure if we'd make it at first, but it's a definite now.

Aye, been to Belgrade a couple times. Went to the Marakana for Red Star versus Milan for a Champions League qualifier a couple of years ago, which was an experience.

Hopefully you'll enjoy Novi Sad. The Serbs are mad but very friendly folk in general.

Aye, been to Belgrade a couple times. Went to the Marakana for Red Star versus Milan for a Champions League qualifier a couple of years ago, which was an experience.

Hopefully you'll enjoy Novi Sad. The Serbs are mad but very friendly folk in general.

What is Belgrade like? Been reading up on all the places we're going and there isn't too much on Belgrade really and what there is seems a bit sketchy

What is Belgrade like? Been reading up on all the places we're going and there isn't too much on Belgrade really and what there is seems a bit sketchy

Stari Grad is a good place to go during the day for chilling out and grabbing a bite to eat. Head down to the Dabube at night as there are a lot of floating bars and nightclubs. Belgrade is pretty much an all night sort of place. Loads of tidy burds. I find it very safe as well. You'll probably get loads of folk come up and chat to you as they are mostly good English speakers.

I've got a mate in Belgrade, I'll give him a shout to find out the names of good places and I'll drop you a PM.

Can vouch for that!  :thumbsup:

Novi sad was nice, if the weather is nice, check out the city beach, its a bit of a walk from the centre of the town but worth it for the 80p Jager's alone  :thumbsup: Nice place to dip into the Danube as well. We found the centre quite nice as well.

Re: Budapest, Szimpla Kert is one of a many ruined courtyard bars. Has an awesome vibe about it. Its a bit more bohemian than most of the other bars in Budapest, but great nonetheless!

szimpla_11.jpg

The Kulak Restaurant is on Osvat Utca/dohany Utca. Play live hungarian music, though the guy will try to sell you a CD of his band or accept drinks instead of a tip.

Nice one. Where you going to go to?

Don't really know yet but my provisional route so far is sort of Paris-Amsterdam-Berlin-Warsaw-Krakow-Prague-Vienna-Bratislava-Budapest-Lubiljana-Zagreb-Dubrovnik-Sofia-Bucharest-Varna-trains back to Calais to save me a flight home.

However seeing as all but a couple of these places are capital cities I might read up about some of these countries and try and vist the smaller cities in them. Also I may need to condense it down a bit if I'm only going for a month.