• Ecology
  • Hydrology
  • Geomorphology
  • Geochemistry
  • Fisheries
  • Enviromental Engineering
  • Contaminent Transport

(or so my thesis says...)

Good luck to you mate,  I'm in the throws off writing my PhD thesis.  I can honestly say, that past few weeks have been among the most depressing, boring and soul-destroying of my life... and It'll take me at least another 3 months of solid graft till I'm finished.  :

Good luck to you mate,  I'm in the throws off writing my PhD thesis.  I can honestly say, that past few weeks have been among the most depressing, boring and soul-destroying of my life... and It'll take me at least another 3 months of solid graft till I'm finished.   :

And good luck to you too.

I was asked earlier this year if I was interested in dropping out my masters degree and just getting an honours one, then starting out on a PhD? The only reason I could think for doing it was so that my mail would be addressed to 'Dr. Dave' instead.

I've not really decided yet though.

And good luck to you too.

I was asked earlier this year if I was interested in dropping out my masters degree and just getting an honours one, then starting out on a PhD? The only reason I could think for doing it was so that my mail would be addressed to 'Dr. Dave' instead.

I've not really decided yet though.

Don't do it.  The past three years I've been struggling along on the very modest stipend i receive from my sponsors... while my friends have been working, earning a real wage in the real world for a good few years.  The hours I work are far longer than 9-5, I'll quite often work the weekends too!  Such is the nature of studying for a PhD, you do begin to become consumed by it.... I'm at the stage now, where I've reached th business end, and it's all I ever think about... and I constantly feel guility if I award myself even a saturday off!

Career wise, I don't believe I'm any better off and there is also is the danger that you'll be pigeon-holed, and effectively considered over-qualified for many jobs.  Meanwhile, my friends who all graduated a few years ago, all have jobs they can leave behind at the weekend, and during evenings, have money in the bank and three years more work experience than me.  In short, I'd only recommend a PhD if you love your work so much, that you're happy to enter such an all consuming environment.  There are some guys, who work in my lab, that literally live there, they even keep their tooth brush in their desk - it's no way to live, unless you're a complete sad bastard....

Don't do it.  The past three years I've been struggling along on the very modest stipend it receive from my sponsors... while my friends have been working, earning a real wage in the real world for a good few years.  The hours I work are far longer than 9-5, I'll quite often work the weekends too!  Such is the nature of studying for a PhD, you do begin to become consumed by it.... I'm at the stage now, where I've reached th business end, and it's all I ever think about... and I constantly feel guility if I award myself even a saturday off!

Career wise, I don't believe I'm any better off and there is also is the danger that you'll be pigeon-holed, and effectively considered over-qualified for many jobs.  Meanwhile, my friends who all graduated a few years ago, all have jobs they can leave behind at the weekend, and during evenings, have money in the bank and three years more work experience than me.  In short, I'd only recommend a PhD if you love your work so much, that your happy to enter such an all consuming environment.  There are some guys, who work in my lab, that literally live there, they even keep their tooth brush in their desk - it's no way to live, unless you're a complete sad bastard....

Ok, thanks for that. Every PhD student i've spoke to have been all 'Yeah, it's great, blah, blah, blah....'

So, 4 years so my mail says 'Dr' hmmmm....i'll have to stick to the CEng plan then.

Guest Nellie The Don

Ok, thanks for that. Every PhD student i've spoke to have been all 'Yeah, it's great, blah, blah, blah....'

So, 4 years so my mail says 'Dr' hmmmm....i'll have to stick to the CEng plan then.

Only do a PhD if you are really REALLY enthusiastic about your subject. 

I took up my masters' supervisors offer of a PhD placement on the basis that it was a job and I didn't have any better ideas at the time. It was a terrible decision. I finished the research but, after 3.5 years, would rather have chewed my own arm off than spent any more time on it to write up.

Good luck to you mate,  I'm in the throws off writing my PhD thesis.  I can honestly say, that past few weeks have been among the most depressing, boring and soul-destroying of my life... and It'll take me at least another 3 months of solid graft till I'm finished.   :

It will be fine dont worry  :thumbsup: Girl next to me at work has just finished her PhD and she is as thick as shit and if she can get one anyone can get one as long as they put the graft in and get it done. She spent 5 years looking at flies but was shocked when I stated that all insects were cold blooded and she had to ask if that included flies  :o:doh:

I have been tempted to do a PhD and just for the same reason as dave_min - to be called Dr. Dave  ;D

Only do a PhD if you are really REALLY enthusiastic about your subject. 

I took up my masters' supervisors offer of a PhD placement on the basis that it was a job and I didn't have any better ideas at the time. It was a terrible decision. I finished the research but, after 3.5 years, would rather have chewed my own arm off than spent any more time on it to write up.

Seems a bit of a waste though... were you really hating it that much, that you couldn't bear another 4 or 5 months writing the thing up?  I totally agree with your assessment though.... you really need to be passionate about the subject, as the rewards are low, and certainly aren't proportional the amount of work and number sacrifices you'll need to make - it's all about a real love of your work, and as I said, a willingness to consume yourself in it.

Guest Nellie The Don

Seems a bit of a waste though... were you really hating it that much, that you couldn't bear another 4 or 5 months writing the thing up?

Yes. In my case the extra 4-5 months may have ended me. Instead I chose to leave the Uk and go travelling. I think that later in life, looking back this will prove to have been the best decision I ever made.  A PhD, if you care about what you do a lot more than I did, would be a different prospect though.

looking into renting somewhere in the south of france this year . any recomondations ? preferably pretty reasonable and has to be fun enough to keep the kids out our hair .

I've got a mate who lives in Pau.  Really beautiful place at the base of the Pyrenees.  I loved it there.  That said, if he didn't live there and his family hadn't stuffed me with the most amazing cheeses and wines then I might well have been bored stiff.

Hebrew might be worth asking, I'm sure she took her family camping somewhere in France last summer?

I've got a mate who lives in Pau.  Really beautiful place at the base of the Pyrenees.  I loved it there.  That said, if he didn't live there and his family hadn't stuffed me with the most amazing cheeses and wines then I might well have been bored stiff.

Hebrew might be worth asking, I'm sure she took her family camping somewhere in France last summer?

Carvanning actually  ;D And it was the summer before last...................

Been a few times to France loved every single place - only been to the south once - Argeles sur Mer  :thumbsup:

I so want to go back...........................

Actually it's alright, nothing special.

I just wanted to mention Tourrettes again and swear.

fuck

looked good in the pictures , but i may take hebrews recomendation instead . still going to canoe the ardeche . oh i almost forgot  FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK .

looked good in the pictures , but i may take hebrews recomendation instead . still going to canoe the ardeche . oh i almost forgot  FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK .

If you are anywhere near La Vendee region take your kids to Puy du Fou - it is the most amazing theme park ever one of the best days out you will ever have

It is a theatre park and has shows on all day long - Vikings, Romans, Birds of Prey, Muskateers, Knights - absolutely spectacular

Have I sold it enough  ;D

Actually take me too I want to go again  :thumbsup:

Be prepared to queue for Eiffel Tower - but the queues move a lot quicker than you might think.

If you are short on time when you are there I would recommend not going to Le Louvre unless you really want. When I was there I would rather have done some other things that day as it was such a beautiful day to be stuck inside.

Definitely try and get a boat trip done at the beginning of your trip too as it can give you a good idea of what places to go and where they are, and if you get the hop on/hop off one you can get off at places you want to.

When using the metro buy the books of 10 tickets too as it's cheaper and quicker than buying a ticket every time you use it.

Only going for 3/4 days. We were thinking about a boat trip. Not too bothered about the Eiffel Tower if there are large queues! I can stand in a queue in Britain!  ;D

Just was thinking if there was anything thats not a usual touristy sight but worth seeing?! Nothing too expensive!  ;)

Guest Makaveli

The catacombes are pretty cool - http://www.catacombes-de-paris.fr/english.htm

Per Lachaise is also worth a visit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A8re_Lachaise

I know both are a bit on the 'death' side of things but you did ask for unusual touristy things - wouldn't go the the Catacombes if yo uhave kids with you as it is a bit gruesome down there!!