Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer

manc_don

Andrew - There's a company who will take you by speedboat from Bratislava to Vienna, which is a little weird seeing they're both in landlocked countries.  (Boring factoid: Bratislava & Vienna are the 2 closest capital cities in the world).  The two being linked by the Danube River.  Takes just over an hour.  There's plenty of 'beach' bars and barges once you get to Vienna on the riverside which they've filled with sand, swimming pools, deckchairs and loungers.  Might be a bit late in the year now but they were rammed a couple months back.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great by the sounds of it as he seems to spend most of his time posting on here.....saying that hes not posted all day.

when I was away the thing that we couldn't believe is the number of folk spending literally all day on the internet - mainly facebook.

There was one lad in our room at one of the hostels who would get up at 6am, dress in all white (trousers, shirt and t-shirt) with crocodile skin shoes and always wore shades, and go and sit at the laptop typing away - at very strange angles i have to say - on facebook.  Then, approx 6 hours later (so we were told) he'd go and change into all black and return to facebook.  Fucking freakazoid.

when I was away the thing that we couldn't believe is the number of folk spending literally all day on the internet - mainly facebook.

There was one lad in our room at one of the hostels who would get up at 6am, dress in all white (trousers, shirt and t-shirt) with crocodile skin shoes and always wore shades, and go and sit at the laptop typing away - at very strange angles i have to say - on facebook.  Then, approx 6 hours later (so we were told) he'd go and change into all black and return to facebook.  Fucking freakazoid.

There seems to be loads of folk fucking around on facebook. Anyway I use the internet to book hostels and to check my emails daily. So I just come on here to scope around a bit. Also if Im bored in a hostel that is shit, like this one, I can just go in the internet for an hour or so. In the day time I do touristy things though. However the next hostel i am staying in has three bars and is an ex millitary prison which sounds quite cool.

Also one day in amsterdam I had to stay up till 8:30 to book a room for the next day so just read my book for a while then fucked aroudn on the internet.

• 4 months later...

i asked the missus what she and kids wanted for holidays this year as its a special one ( ten years married ) and five since last proper holiday which was disney world florida. We try do like a big holiday in fives  kinda thing anyway  they have said JAPAN !

First thought was fuck aff way outa our league but she has already hit the net flights for me and her and kids,

Paris ~peking ~ Osaka  was 2300 euro were going for 21 days ( work month on month aff) going to Osaka (samuri museum, shinobi castle )  , koyoto ( hot springs , deer park and oldest village in Japan ), tokyo ( sumodom , naruto cosplay for kids , shopping and ramen ) staying in the small Japaneese style hotels which are really cheap and using the new high speed train to travel which for some reason is cheap as well.

well thats the plan hoping to go July as there is a few festivals like the float festival and stuff on and a manga festival in Tokyo.

i asked the missus what she and kids wanted for holidays this year as its a special one ( ten years married ) and five since last proper holiday which was disney world florida. We try do like a big holiday in fives  kinda thing anyway  they have said JAPAN !

First thought was fuck aff way outa our league but she has already hit the net flights for me and her and kids,

Paris ~peking ~ Osaka  was 2300 euro were going for 21 days ( work month on month aff) going to Osaka (samuri museum, shinobi castle )  , koyoto ( hot springs , deer park and oldest village in Japan ), tokyo ( sumodom , naruto cosplay for kids , shopping and ramen ) staying in the small Japaneese style hotels which are really cheap and using the new high speed train to travel which for some reason is cheap as well.

well thats the plan hoping to go July as there is a few festivals like the float festival and stuff on and a manga festival in Tokyo.

Get a japanese rail pass which allows you to use all forms of rail transport.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

There are some private lines which aren't included, but on the main routes, its valid. I think it explains it all onthe website :thumbsup:

Plenty of awesome Shrines (the golden pavilion/Kinkakuji to name one) in Kyoto as well. I'm going for 2 weeks in August/September to see family, I can't wait. Its been ages since I've been. Also, going up to the top of Kyoto train station, you get a cracking view across the city, obviously not as good as from the tower, but still, its free.

• 3 months later...

Off to Split this summer, has anyone been there or the surrounding area?

Was there last year manc, loved it. Beautiful place, scenery is outstanding, great people, great bars, great food, great wine and beer. How long you going for and where are you staying?

We were there for our last part of our trip and by that point we were pretty knacked and really just wanted to chill so we didn't see as much of it as we wanted to.  The "Riviera" is lovely, Diocletians Palace and the tower are a must, as are all the wee streets that run off there.  You have to go to a pub called Gaga at night, everyone sits outside in the tiny streets that run off it. Brilliant place, i'll definitely be back there at some point.

Anyone have any good recommendations? I'm looking for somewhere good and cheap! :thumbsup:

Was looking at London, can get a return flight for around £120.

Then London is fine, but its not a cheap place to visit! I'd look at going to somewhere like Estonia or something like that. Tallinn is meant to be beautiful and cheap  :thumbsup:

Was there last year manc, loved it. Beautiful place, scenery is outstanding, great people, great bars, great food, great wine and beer. How long you going for and where are you staying?

We were there for our last part of our trip and by that point we were pretty knacked and really just wanted to chill so we didn't see as much of it as we wanted to.  The "Riviera" is lovely, Diocletians Palace and the tower are a must, as are all the wee streets that run off there.  You have to go to a pub called Gaga at night, everyone sits outside in the tiny streets that run off it. Brilliant place, i'll definitely be back there at some point.

Cheers for the info BB! Shall defo remember it when we're there. Not planned anything yet, all we know is that after Exit, we'll be heading to Split via Zagreb (though not staying in Zagreb). We wanted a nice place to chill out by the sea! So we're now going to start looking into accommodation. Do you have any recommendations?

we were just staying in a hostel near the Riviera, but you'd probably be looking at hotels?

we were in Zagreb before Split and I liked it, nice city with a cool vibe. Big student population  :thumbsup:

Are you getting the train from Zagreb to Split?  It's a stunning journey, really beautiful countryside.

Nice one, nah we'll be getting a hostel haha. I doubt we'd be able to afford a hotel. We're getting the train from Belgrade to Zagreb (over nighter) then possibly spend the day in Zagreb and try and get an over nighter to Split, but if you say its fantastic then I think we'll have to scrap that and just travel during the day. We'll be looking to spend 2-3 nights in Split. I'm still hoping that Hadjuk will be at home for a Euro qualifier of some sort though probably unlikely with it being a WC year.

Nice one, nah we'll be getting a hostel haha. I doubt we'd be able to afford a hotel. We're getting the train from Belgrade to Zagreb (over nighter) then possibly spend the day in Zagreb and try and get an over nighter to Split, but if you say its fantastic then I think we'll have to scrap that and just travel during the day. We'll be looking to spend 2-3 nights in Split. I'm still hoping that Hadjuk will be at home for a Euro qualifier of some sort though probably unlikely with it being a WC year.

The train from Belgrade is a bit of a nightmare to be honest (or it was when we did it which was during the day).  We had Serbs and Croats in our carriage arguing with each other!  ;D

I'm not sure there is an overnighter to Split from Zagreb, i've got the European Train Timetable book in the house, i'll check it tonight for you. Not sure if you've seen the Rail Europe website but it's shite as they don't always give you the quickest routes. Checked it there for Zagreb - Split and it says it requires more than 3 changes which is bullshit unless they've closed the line.

Then London is fine, but its not a cheap place to visit! I'd look at going to somewhere like Estonia or something like that. Tallinn is meant to be beautiful and cheap  :thumbsup:

I'm going there in September  :thumbsup:

I'm hoping to join the real world and get some sort of job in Summer.  :

I'm wondering if the people who've been around eastern europe or wherever else would recommend it as something to do on your lonesome?

I'm planning to dissapear off for as long as my money lasts and just meet new folk along the way who either are local or travellers who are worth hangin out with for a short while before I get sick of em and go somewhere else.

Can't be fucked with australia so at the moment i'm most likely going to do north america for the ease of language and number of cheap places for travellers to crash.

really want to see prague and talinn but nae sure they'd be suitable unless going with people?

I'm wondering if the people who've been around eastern europe or wherever else would recommend it as something to do on your lonesome?

I'm planning to dissapear off for as long as my money lasts and just meet new folk along the way who either are local or travellers who are worth hangin out with for a short while before I get sick of em and go somewhere else.

Can't be fucked with australia so at the moment i'm most likely going to do north america for the ease of language and number of cheap places for travellers to crash.

really want to see prague and talinn but nae sure they'd be suitable unless going with people?

I reckon you could enjoy yourself quite easily out there but trips away to Eastern Europe are best enjoyed with a few mates, especially if you're going out to get blootered, and lets face facts, thats what you're going to do!  :thumbsup:

Your best bet is definitely Bratislava, its a great base for travelling that region.

Away to Love Parade at the end of July then going to Berlin for a week in September.

Got another week to take so may end up touring the Ruhr when I'm away in July.

Say hi to techno-viking if you see him  8)

I went with mates and we ended up talking to loads of folk who were travelling themselves. I thought about doing something similar by myself this year but decided against it cos as Padre says it's just better with your mates. Had a fantastic time and even the travelling by train was ace, cos we were mostly in a compartment ourselves, just relax and have a laugh and a few beers.

And to echo Padre again, Bratislava is highly recommended. I've never seen women like that in my life.  The main street with pubs and restaurants was like a supermodels catwalk. The place itself is lovely too.

We're going to Barcelona then on to Nice, Genoa, Bergamo, Verona and Munich this year. Travelling round last year was easily the best holiday i've had, and i'd thoroughly recommend it to you.

I reckon you could enjoy yourself quite easily out there but trips away to Eastern Europe are best enjoyed with a few mates, especially if you're going out to get blootered, and lets face facts, thats what you're going to do!  :thumbsup:

Your best bet is definitely Bratislava, its a great base for travelling that region.

Say hi to techno-viking if you see him  8)

He was at Fuck Parade.  :-\