Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer

manc_don

I packed my job in last year, took 6 months off and went travelling. Tallin and Croatia were definitely in the top 5 or 10 of the places I visited.

Tallin would be a great place to take a lass for a romantic/dirty weekend. The city centre is this cool medieval town with great architecture which they really play on but not in a cheesy way. I ate bear (which tasted superb) in a great restaurant where the waitresses were all dressed like wenches with those ice-cream cones sticking out the sides of their heads. Still there's plenty decent nightlife so it would be equally as good for a lads weekend but I think you'd score some decent Brownie points taking your squeeze.

Croatia was a real hidden gem. I've a Croatian mate who kept on at me to go home with him sometime but dates never seemed to suit. Wish I had now! That said he told me the hotspots so I had a fair idea what to expect. That didn't stop me from being blown away! I always had this preconception that the Serb/Croat war would have meant that there would be bullet holes in all the buildings and large buildings with one side missing. Couldn't have been further from the truth. I guess that's what travelling to these places and seeing it fof yourself is all about.

What I didnt realise is that the Romans used Croatia as their holiday retreat. But being Romans they werent happy with a wee place by the sea, they built entire towns and streets out of white marble whilst protecting themselves behind awesome fortifications!

Zagreb I wasnt that impressed with. Nothing wrong with it, if you're down that way the go check it out but there's nothing there out of the ordinary. Sort of like Vienna.

Get yourself down the coast, that's where Croatia really comes into it's own. The Adriatic is probably the clearest water I've ever seen! I bussed it all the way down to Dubrovnik before taking a ferry to Italy.  I dunno if it's the same with train stations, BB might be able to confirm but at every bus stop there are pensioners sitting there with rooms to rent, so no need to prebook hotels or hostels. They greet you off the bus, show you a map or photo of where they live then whisk you off back to theirs, sling you a set of keys, hand over your cash then you don't see them again til you leave.

My mate told me to avoid Dubrovnik as it's "full of old people" but I really enjoyed it. Just have a look at some pics on Google. Stunning place. I think he wanted me hitting all the beach parties and livelier places to impress me. So I did. And I was.

Pag would be your first port of call coming down the coast. There's a beach there that is lined with bars pumping out house day and night with some big name djs playing. Zadar down the coast an hour or two is also magic. You could go there to chill out, party or both. That's one of the white marble towns. There's a cool ocean driven organ there and it's where the famous photo of Hitchcock in the sunset was taken.

Split's along the same lines as Zadar but the old town was a lot smaller. At the heated request of my mate I caught a 2 hour ferry ride to Hvar and I'm glad that I did! I'm not keen on going back to places I've already been, there's just too many places I want to go and explore but I'll be back in Hvar sometime soon. I only went for a couple nights but had to drag myself away after a week! Lots of travellers there, lots of bars, hotels, restaurants, hostels, beaches. I crashed at a hotel for a couple nights before I met this old dude who spent his days spear fishing. Ended up renting his apartment off of him for peanuts. Great balcony as well looking right out over the bay. Should be able to find his contact details if you're interested?

Spent most of my time on an island just off of Hvar called Stipanska. In fact I spent most of my time here - www.hvar.com - There's small taxi boats that take you back and forth but be careful, I was so busy yappin to a French dude that I stepped off at the wrong island and spent an hour waiting for the next boat surrounded by nudists! I also fucked up one night thinking the parties kicked off every night and missed the last boat back. I had to wait a couple hours whilst the catering staff cleaned up then bummed a lift back in amongst them and the black bags filled with the days rubbish. ;D

The only downside, and I'm really being fussy here, is that the beaches are all shingle. Other than that I thought Croatia was excellent.           

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aye, train stations are the same ST. Loads of folk at them trying to get you to use their hotel/hostel etc.

Also went to Zadar, cracking wee place and the nightlife was tremendous too.  Same style as Split in that it's all hidden away in narrow streets.

Can see what you mean about Zagreb, ST, but i liked the chilled out vibe of it. We had arrived there from Belgrade which we really hadn't enjoyed and it was good chilling out down at "Blood Bridge" (no bridge in sight, strangely...) and had one waiter tell us he thought Hearts fans were wankers as they had played there a couple of weeks previously which was a nice touch!

Vienna was a lovely city to look at but it was lifeless. No vibe about it at all. And schnitzel is shit.

Must have missed you by a couple weeks then BB. I rolled into Zagreb the day Hearts played there. At that point I had no track of time or date and I wasn't even aware they were due to play there so I was fairly surprised to see folk en masse walking around with maroon tops on. Shite support it has to be said.

By fuck did I enjoy going out for a beer after the game! ;D

Must have missed you by a couple weeks then BB. I rolled into Zagreb the day Hearts played there. At that point I had no track of time or date and I wasn't even aware they were due to play there so I was fairly surprised to see folk en masse walking around with maroon tops on. Shite support it has to be said.

By fuck did I enjoy going out for a beer after the game! ;D

apparently they tried to "cause it" and promptly got their collective arse handed to them.  ;D

That said I wasn't in the mood to gloat as I'd been to Olomouic a few weeks previously where we'd had our arses skelpt.

Still, I did sit supping beer upon beer with a smug grin on my coupon watching gutted looking jam tarts lament into their plastic cups of meth.

Zagreb was quite good come to thing about it. ;D

I was in Olomouc visiting mates the week before the draw. I'd been telling them for years that Aberdeen would pump Olomouc no problem. That turned out well.

Away to Love Parade at the end of July then going to Berlin for a week in September.

Got another week to take so may end up touring the Ruhr when I'm away in July.

Where is that held these days?

I was there in 2006, the last year it was held in Berlin.  The main parade took place in the Tiegarten between Siegessaule and the Brandenburg gate - with the Reichstag in the background - it was just an amazing event.  The atmosphere was incredible.

you should head to Dusseldorf/Cologne if you have some spare holidays....

Where is that held these days?

I was there in 2006, the last year it was held in Berlin.  The main parade took place in the Tiegarten between Siegessaule and the Brandenburg gate - with the Reichstag in the background - it was just an amazing event.  The atmosphere was incredible.

you should head to Dusseldorf/Cologne if you have some spare holidays....

It's in Duisburg this year but we're flying into and staying in Dusseldorf.

:thumbsup:

The train from Belgrade is a bit of a nightmare to be honest (or it was when we did it which was during the day).  We had Serbs and Croats in our carriage arguing with each other!  ;D

I'm not sure there is an overnighter to Split from Zagreb, i've got the European Train Timetable book in the house, i'll check it tonight for you. Not sure if you've seen the Rail Europe website but it's shite as they don't always give you the quickest routes. Checked it there for Zagreb - Split and it says it requires more than 3 changes which is bullshit unless they've closed the line.

Get the disco train from Zagreb to Split. One of the carriages is a night club. Only runs in the summer so wasn't on when I was there. :(

Seriously andrew? Blimey, we may have to reconsider. But i'm not sure we'll be in a fit state to handle that after serbia. Its probably safer for us to go during the day :D

ST, that was a great read. As i said to bb, i can't wait to go and all this has been very useful. Got sent a picture of a water fall you can swim in in korkula or some place like that. Looks amazing. We're definitely going to hvar for a day or night. Not decided much yet.