Summer

manc_don

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Has anyone here been to Naples? And if so, can you recommend it or otherwise?

I've heard it's a toilet.

Depends what kind of deal you're getting, the historic centre of Naples is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and might be worth seeing?

I think it's not too far from Pompeii either, if that's your thing.

I've heard it's a toilet.

Depends what kind of deal you're getting, the historic centre of Naples is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and might be worth seeing?

I think it's not too far from Pompeii either, if that's your thing.

aye, want to see Pompeii which is obviously down that way. Might just look to go somewhere else in the south instead.

Cheers folks.

Sorrento is supposed to be lovely.

I stayed there a few years ago, it is beautiful. Did all the touristy stuff like Pompeii and Herculaneum, but the main memory I have is how stunning the Bay of Naples is. Also, a ferry out to Capri is a good way to kill an afternoon, although it is a wee bit tacky.

I stayed there a few years ago, it is beautiful. Did all the touristy stuff like Pompeii and Herculaneum, but the main memory I have is how stunning the Bay of Naples is. Also, a ferry out to Capri is a good way to kill an afternoon, although it is a wee bit tacky.

Exactly what I was told.

Yup, I can also attest to it being a dump.

The reason being that you may remember a few years ago that the Mafia run disposal companies threw a wabbler over something or other and went on strike.  Meaning that the residents went about dumping all their rubbish wherever they saw fit.  Out on the street, down alleyways, out in the countryside, over the nearest hedgerow or straight in the sea.  Lovely.

I've no idea whether it's still on going but tons and tons of plastic bags, milk cartons, Coke cans, fridges, dishwashers and such, just don't disappear over night.  So aye, Naples is a shithole and during the warmer times of the year when the rubbish heats up a bit, it's a stinky shithole.  The best thing that could happen is they pile all the rubbish into Vesuvius and it errupts, wiping out the stinking piles of rubbish and the fucking locals who let it come to that.

As mentioned before though, Pompeii is a must.

Bari I've only passed through and my head was well up my arse after one of the most fucked up, overnight ferries I've ever had the misfortune of being on.  So I couldn't comment on that other than to say 'it was sunny' and 'looked alright'.

I've also hired a car and drove the Amalfi coastline from Napoli right down to Villa San Giovanni where I took a (thankfully) short ferry across to Sicily.  Passed through all the towns on route, most of which are more or less the same - built right on the cliffs, overlooking a small bay, restaurants, hotels and bus tours galore.  Sorrento being the biggie and I wouldn't be surprised if the phrase 'tourist trap' was coined right there.

It is a beautiful town and I couldn't really fault it other than being extortionate compared to the other towns on the way.  There literally is one road in and one road out, it's built on a really steep incline so everything slopes down to the shore so you'll find yourself down there most days having to weave past just about every shop, bar and eatery in town on the way down there and on the way back.  Once you're there, you're there!  And as the incline is a good 45 degrees you're bound to stop to spend your cash by days end!  But fuck it, you're on holiday!  ;)

The road down the coast is eventful to say the least.  Mostly single laned, weaving round the sides of cliffs where you'll have to dodge scooters and buses on blind corners and halfway through narrow tunnels in the rock where you'll have to open your window and pull your wing mirrors in.  Cracking views though and shitloads of beaches once you're a bit further south.  A few of the Italians I met scribbled on the names of 'secret beaches' on a map I have long since lost that they went to at weekends, away from all the tourist spots.  I'll google map it and see if any of them ring a bell if white sandy beaches are what you're looking for?  (most of the beaches are black volcanic rock or pebble due to volcanic activity)

I also stayed in Amalfi (the town itself) for a few nights.  Probably my pick of the towns down that way.  It was a lot quieter than Sorrento and really chilled out.  I thought it was superb.

ST - cheers for that mate, reckon Naples will be avoided and I'll certainly try to get to Amalfi based on your recommendation  :thumbsup:

Mini - been to Zante a few times when i was younger, while it was relatively unheard of and it's a stunning island.  Was there a few years ago and I was absolutely devastated to see that loads of the local restaurants and shops had been bought out by the likes of McDonalds and KFC.  If it's a lads holiday you'll have a great time though.

I've also hired a car and drove the Amalfi coastline from Napoli right down to Villa San Giovanni where I took a (thankfully) short ferry across to Sicily.  Passed through all the towns on route, most of which are more or less the same - built right on the cliffs, overlooking a small bay, restaurants, hotels and bus tours galore.  Sorrento being the biggie and I wouldn't be surprised if the phrase 'tourist trap' was coined right there.

It is a beautiful town and I couldn't really fault it other than being extortionate compared to the other towns on the way.  There literally is one road in and one road out, it's built on a really steep incline so everything slopes down to the shore so you'll find yourself down there most days having to weave past just about every shop, bar and eatery in town on the way down there and on the way back.  Once you're there, you're there!  And as the incline is a good 45 degrees you're bound to stop to spend your cash by days end!  But fuck it, you're on holiday!  ;)

The road down the coast is eventful to say the least.  Mostly single laned, weaving round the sides of cliffs where you'll have to dodge scooters and buses on blind corners.

Similar to Gamrie, Crovie and Pennan then?

Similar to Gamrie, Crovie and Pennan then?

Couldn't say, never been.  ;)

ST - cheers for that mate, reckon Naples will be avoided and I'll certainly try to get to Amalfi based on your recommendation  :thumbsup:

That said, I wouldn't rule out using Napoli to fly in and out of.  Just don't spend any time there.  In a weird sort of way it's an experience just seeing what a mess the place is.

*EDIT*

Just realised I have a couple snaps on me that sums it all up.  This one was taken between Napoli and Sorrento:

dscn0217x.jpg

And this one is taken from the exact same vantage point looking directly down:

dscn0226h.jpg

Again, a nice wee town, not much happening.  Stayed there the night and had an ice cream on the beach before I had a dunk in the sea, where I rapidly found myself up to my tits in bits of junk and used nappies.    >:D

The Napolis really are a filthy bunch of cunts who have spoiled that coastline and I'm only now remembering how much I hate the fuckers for doing so.  :hammer:

An Italian man has astonished doctors by sneezing a bullet out through his nose after being shot in the head.

Darco Sangermano, 28, had been taken to hospital in Naples for emergency treatment after being hit by a stray bullet during New Year's Eve celebrations.

The bullet passed behind his right eye and lodged in his nostril, but miraculously did no serious damage.

He is expected to make a full recovery, doctors say.

Mr Sangermano had spent New Year's Eve with his girlfriend in Naples.

As the city sky exploded in a traditional celebration of fireworks, firecrackers - and the occasional high-spirited blast of firearms - he was wandering the streets when a stray .22 calibre bullet struck him on the side of the head, behind his right eye.

Bleeding heavily, he was rushed to hospital.

But while he was waiting for doctors he sneezed - and the bullet popped out of his right nostril.

Doctors say it had been slowed down when it hit his skull - which almost certainly saved his sight, as well as his life.

Mr Sangermano is expected to undergo laser surgery on his right eye's damaged retina.

Maybe best avoided BB!

Looking for suggestions for a summer break in Greece area this year for a couples getaway?

Somewhere that has a bit of culture and history, traditional tavernas to eat in and that isn't completely taken over by tourists.

Is the Aegean better than Ionian, or is it much the same? I'm thinking about somewhere like Kefalonia or perhaps even mainland.

I want to avoid the Zante 18:30 pish as much as possible please.

Looking for suggestions for a summer break in Greece area this year for a couples getaway?

Somewhere that has a bit of culture and history, traditional tavernas to eat in and that isn't completely taken over by tourists.

Is the Aegean better than Ionian, or is it much the same? I'm thinking about somewhere like Kefalonia or perhaps even mainland.

I want to avoid the Zante 18:30 pish as much as possible please.

Crete and Rhodes are supposed to be lovely.