Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer

manc_don

Looking for suggestions for a summer break in Greece area this year for a couples getaway?

Somewhere that has a bit of culture and history, traditional tavernas to eat in and that isn't completely taken over by tourists.

Is the Aegean better than Ionian, or is it much the same? I'm thinking about somewhere like Kefalonia or perhaps even mainland.

I want to avoid the Zante 18:30 pish as much as possible please.

Kefalonia is absolutely glorious.  I spent 6 weeks there doing some field work in 2004.  It's nothing like Crete or Rhodes... in that the place isn't (or at least wasn't) swamped with binge drinking british tourists.  There was only one night club on the whole island.  However, there were many excellent bars and restaurants.

The island, the beaches and sea in particular, is beautiful.  Very chilled out... if thats what you are looking for.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heading to Dubrovnik in April and hoping to visit Bosnia and Montenegro also. Was in the Balkans a couple years ago and loved it (Kosovo, Macedonia, Albania and Montenegro)  Beautiful places and very cheap. Anyone been to Croatia before and can recommend some activities?

Heading to Dubrovnik in April and hoping to visit Bosnia and Montenegro also. Was in the Balkans a couple years ago and loved it (Kosovo, Macedonia, Albania and Montenegro)  Beautiful places and very cheap. Anyone been to Croatia before and can recommend some activities?

Dubrovnik is not cheap. Very expensive.

Went to Split and Hvar last summer, it was great, but very expensive, well compared to the likes of Mostar in Bosnia and serbia. I would strongly recommend going to Mostar, beautiful city and some great stuff to see around the area.  :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm hoping Mostar is easy enough to get to.  Then hopefully head to Sarajevo for a night which is supposed to be immense.  Staying in a really nice hotel in Dubrovnik but don't mind paying for a night away in Sarajevo in a hostel or somewhere like that.

Yeah didn't think Croatia would be as cheap as the other Balkan countries. Hopefully the trade off is hot and cold running water when I want, a fully developed infrastructure with air conditioned busses and not coming home with E-coli

Yeah I'm hoping Mostar is easy enough to get to.  Then hopefully head to Sarajevo for a night which is supposed to be immense.  Staying in a really nice hotel in Dubrovnik but don't mind paying for a night away in Sarajevo in a hostel or somewhere like that.

Yeah didn't think Croatia would be as cheap as the other Balkan countries. Hopefully the trade off is hot and cold running water when I want, a fully developed infrastructure with air conditioned busses and not coming home with E-coli

We went to Sarajevo too, only for one night, which was a shame and I'd love to go again. We got the bus from Sarajevo to Mostar, nice journey. The train is very infrequent but is supposed to be stunning. But having airco on the bus was a lifesaver.

Well if your preconception of Croatia is some sort of disease ridden hellhole with bulletholes in the sides of buildings from their spat with the Serbs then you're in for a nice surprise.

The Romans conquered the country and used the coastline as their holiday retreats and for good reason. I don't think I've seen water as clear as the Adriatic anywhere I've been before. It was jumping off a boat into tap water!

Get the ferry from Split to Dubrovnik instead of the bus. It leaves stupidly early and only runs twice a week but its great fun sitting on the deck wathching the landscape go by. I was only in Split for one night, wish that I stayed for longer. The hostel owner in Zagreb got me drunk in the morning and I passed out and had to stay another night in the hostel. Good bit of busines from him I suppose.

Also in the summer there is an over night "disco train" that runs from Zagreb to Split that sounds awesome. You should try that out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully going back in the summer, but just got back from Tallinn. Beautiful City, reasonably priced, though I imagine due to the euro its got more expensive recently. The old town is absolutely stunning and the people are very friendly. Nice to see a country deal with snow properly.

Hopefully going back in the summer, but just got back from Tallinn. Beautiful City, reasonably priced, though I imagine due to the euro its got more expensive recently. The old town is absolutely stunning and the people are very friendly. Nice to see a country deal with snow properly.

I was there on a stagger a couple of years ago, I thought it was brilliant and concur with all the above.  Highly recommend it.  "Club X" was the best cream dippers I've ever been in!  ;)

I'm looking at a week in Abu Dhabi at end of May to visit some friends.

Looks as if lads holiday is on hold and not happening now, think I might go to Dubai or Thailand, if I go to Thailand it'll be for 3 weeks of training, not much of a holiday, next year though Vegas is the plan for my 21st.

Going in September  ;)

Anyone on here been? Any tips, especially on the best way to see the Grand Canyon? Helicopter from Vegas is probably going to be above our budget.