Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

3 hours ago, Panda said:

A young guy that's played the last year at LB, thrown in at CB against the champions?

No, I won't allow it Rico. 

You're right. Bates it is then.

Edit: whilst I was slightly joking above, if we don't get anyone in before the weekend, our choices are Bates, Hancock or McRorie into defence leaving Polvara and Ramadani in midfield. You're concerns over Hancock are exactly the same as mine over Polvara. Would that be your choice? Maybe we should start a match thread for this.....

Edited by RicoS321

Kinda hoping weve brought Roberts in the now,because we might not get,but are still pursuing,a higher profile attacking midfielder like eg,Ronan or whoever.Still 2 years left on Ronans contract at Wolves,but he's been out on loan at a variety of clubs since 2018.Woudnt know his transfer value,or how hard Wolves would be to deal with at this stage if we made an offer? 

This Coulson chap doesnt give me any more confidence than the existing options we have already

Edited by Elgindon

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Edit: whilst I was slightly joking above, if we don't get anyone in before the weekend, our choices are Bates, Hancock or McRorie into defence leaving Polvara and Ramadani in midfield. You're concerns over Hancock are exactly the same as mine over Polvara. Would that be your choice? Maybe we should start a match thread for this.....

Center mid is such a key position that mccrorie has to play in there. We have to consider that neither ramadani or polvara has played for us much, played against Celtic, or played at parkhead before. We are going to have to gamble somewhere being short that I’d gamble with hayes at left back with bates in the middle for experience, and maybe Roberts wide midfield. That is unless we sign a stud of a number 10 and vinnie and kennedy are wide.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Or play Stewart on the left (he played there at times for Wycombe), play Milne on the right, McCrorie into midfield, and we romp to the three points.

49 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Fair to say that one more signing and we’re done with business, and it’s a #10? Holding out for Ronan or McGrath??

"Two or three more" according to Goodwin this morning.

Connor Ronan, Michael Hector and Aaron Ramsey, and then we're done.

1 hour ago, manc_don said:

Just as well I hadn't published the match day thread yet then! Had said new signing was likely in the morning if not tonight. 

Welcome aboard!

Can anyone start the match thread or is there a tradition in place?

I want to explain to everyone why I think Matt Kennedy will be MVP. 

24 minutes ago, Panda said:

Can anyone start the match thread or is there a tradition in place?

I want to explain to everyone why I think Matt Kennedy will be MVP. 

Sorry, started it on the train this morning then been in meetings since. It's up now, and edited since Coulson has now signed. So the floor is yours :D

36 minutes ago, Panda said:

"Two or three more" according to Goodwin this morning.

Connor Ronan, Michael Hector and Aaron Ramsey, and then we're done.

Goodwin said 2-3 more a week ago too, thats’s why I’m saying one more now. Being realistic, but certainly a #10 is definitely needed….although I guess we’re not that deep in center mid in general…

Edited by OrlandoDon

19 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Goodwin said 2-3 more a week ago too, thats’s why I’m saying one more now. Being realistic, but certainly a #10 is definitely needed….although I guess we’re not that deep in center mid in general…

We need another central defender, preferably one that can play on the left. We're still a Scales injury away from having the exact same issue as last season in playing two right footers in defence.

Midfield wise, it needs to be Ronan or someone of that ilk, someone who is obviously improving the side.

Not to be negative, and obviously I'll wait until I see these guys play to make a proper judgement, but I'm not as excited by all these signings as everyone else.

Good (on paper): Miovski, Ramadani, Stewart, Scales. And all four have looked good so far, albeit v lower league teams.

But...

We've signed two players (Richardson & Roberts) who were playing national league football last season.

Roos was a bit part player at Derby

Coulson was shipped out on loan twice last season (Ipswich & Peterborough) and struggled for game time at both.

Duk (Benfica B)

We've got positions filled that we needed filled, and that's good, but I don't need to hear the next signing played 10 games last season at Cheltenham, or was a stand out in the South London pub league.

Because at the minute it's Gurr, Jenks, Longstaff and JET vibes.

3 minutes ago, Panda said:

We need another central defender, preferably one that can play on the left. We're still a Scales injury away from having the exact same issue as last season in playing two right footers in defence.

Midfield wise, it needs to be Ronan or someone of that ilk, someone who is obviously improving the side.

Not to be negative, and obviously I'll wait until I see these guys play to make a proper judgement, but I'm not as excited by all these signings as everyone else.

Good (on paper): Miovski, Ramadani, Stewart, Scales. And all four have looked good so far, albeit v lower league teams.

But...

We've signed two players (Richardson & Roberts) who were playing national league football last season.

Coulson was shipped out on loan twice last season (Ipswich & Peterborough) and struggled for game time at both.

Duk (Benfica B)

We've got positions filled that we needed filled, and that's good, but I don't need to hear the next signing played 10 games last season at Cheltenham, or was a stand out in the South London pub league.

Could do worse than Callum Wright (albeit +/- 38 games) 😉

1 hour ago, Panda said:

But...

Duk (Benfica B)

There’s an obsession with the left central defender having to be left footed. From what I understand we have Stewart scales bates Milne mccrorie and Hancock can all play central defense. Even McKenzie. You really think we’ll sign another??

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

There’s an obsession with the left central defender having to be left footed.

Because having right footed players playing there last season (McCrorie and Bates) didn't work.

It was one of the big issues that led to Glass being a failure. Another one was McCrorie not being in midfield.  

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

From what I understand we have Stewart scales bates Milne mccrorie and Hancock can all play central defense. Even McKenzie. You really think we’ll sign another??

You named seven players. Two have played LCB and struggled. Two have never played a top team game at CB. One can't play on Sunday. One is rumoured to be leaving. One should be midfield. Two need to be going out on loan. One is injury prone.

I'll be disappointed if we don't sign another defender. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Panda said:

Because having right footed players playing there last season (McCrorie and Bates) didn't work.

It was one of the big issues that led to Glass being a failure. Another one was McCrorie not being in midfield.  

You named seven players. Two have played LCB and struggled. Two have never played a top team game at CB. One can't play on Sunday. One is rumoured to be leaving. One should be midfield. Two need to be going out on loan. One is injury prone.

I'll be a little disappointed if we do too in some ways. Scales signing has led us to this position. It does make letting Turner go seem a bit strange now too, with the suggestion that it was to make way for Hancock. Turner at least looked ready to challenge for that position, if we're saying that Hancock needs another year (which is fair enough) then surely Turner would have been the cheap option that solved the problem? It looks like we're on to the hit or miss signings now with this Coulson loon. We'll likely be paying a good wage for another centre half to sit on the bench. 

I'm not going to blame Goodwin for the above of course, the overhaul in the summer was massive. Inevitably there will be poor signings in there, and so we'll likely see even more late signings to make up for those. I can't see anything other than a big squad this season with an expensive bench and zero opportunity for youth to come through (sound familiar McInnes?). Personally, I'd like us to be patient and not do too much business between now and January and have a good look at what we've got. The comparative success in the league cup has, unfortunately, covered over the fact that this should very much be a season of transition, working towards a more balanced squad and towards the club's long term strategies. If we get more and more signings (especially permanent ones), I can see us building a bit of a mess for the coming years. Maybe loans (like Coulson) from here would be fine.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Panda said:

RE leftie defender, I’d rather we tried to develop Mackenzie Hancock and or Milne than sign a one position guy who’ll sit on the bench in case of injuries. I’m assuming coulson was signed since he can play left back or left mid so unless Ramirez leaves I think we have decent depth in all positions except center mid, both holding and #10. I’ll say it’s 1 more at 10, and maybe another holding. we only have Ramadani Barron and polvara, all inexperienced/young/unproven at this level long term. Honestly, and not happening, shinnie would really help here in many ways in position, experience, attitude, and leadership. Seems like a goodwin type of guy too.

On 26/07/2022 at 10:10, Slim said:

Top bins is a Soccer AM thing isn’t it? Sometimes see some bellends on my FB feed sharing videos (before I muted them) of that mewling quim Jimmy Bullard trying to kick the ball into wheelie bins that have been zip tied to goalposts. 

What's a soccer AM?

14 minutes ago, Panda said:

David Bates linked with a 500,000 euros move to Legia Warsaw. Do they not realise we'd be happy to punt him for free?

Anyway, no arguments any more on the need for another central defender. Left footed please. 

That'll be Charles Dunne incoming then...

Jesus H

That is unbelievable if that comes off.

Thought that this was my son on the wind up whilst I was in a client meeting and saw the WhatsApp message flash up.€500k for Bates.

Story seems to be that this is slmost a done deal and that he is having his medical this afternoon.

5 hours ago, Panda said:

David Bates linked with a 500,000 euros move to Legia Warsaw. Do they not realise we'd be happy to punt him for free?

Anyway, no arguments any more on the need for another central defender. Left footed please. 

Are we paying them?