Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

39 minutes ago, Panda said:

Jim Goodwin trolling half of Donstalk yesterday...

I8

I clocked that yesterday and I instantly thought back to this conversation. Gave me a wee wry smile I have to say. 

Goodwin also said Coulsen is to get an mri tomorrow on his ankle which sounds fairly fucking ominous.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

I clocked that yesterday and I instantly thought back to this conversation. Gave me a wee wry smile I have to say. 

Goodwin also said Coulsen is to get an mri tomorrow on his ankle which sounds fairly fucking ominous.  

Heard it too and had a good chuckle. 

I’ve not managed to see the challenge at all. Was surprised it didn’t feature in the highlights (for the wrong reasons). It doesn’t sound good anyway.

32 minutes ago, manc_don said:

I’ve not managed to see the challenge at all. Was surprised it didn’t feature in the highlights (for the wrong reasons). It doesn’t sound good anyway.

Was on the BBC highlights could have been a straight red just for that. 

4 hours ago, manc_don said:

A clip of it with analysis from Foster & McFadden has been scheduled for the BBC website & Twitter at 6pm. 

Subtitles added too as a bonus.

Moving it back to this thread re Ronan. I understand the frustration and the want to move on from him, but I think that’s harsh. If we want good players in key positions they’ll have options and be in demand. The lad has the chance to be in wolves EPL squad and he has to shoot for that. But if he doesn’t make it he’s a great option for us. I’d say he’s more of a Vinny and #10 whereas clarkson is more of a Lewis Ferguson. There’s room for both, especially is mccrorie is being played at the back. Vinny has looked lively but we’re still limited in creativity, especially if an injury or two comes our way. I also think Ronan can play wide and while it seems we have an abundance of wingers I expect Watkins and mclennan to be moving on, plus Ramirez going, so Morris may even be seen as a forward. So, going back, we still have a space and need for Ronan. And, I think, he’s potentially a buying option and not a loan which is a big deal. Speculating further, Barron may be the leverage to sign scales so adding Ronan helps there if we’re to lose Barron down the road.

Edited by OrlandoDon

25 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Speculating further, Barron may be the leverage to sign scales

I hope we have told Celtic to shove it in this case. Scales is surplus to requirements at Celtic whereas Barron is a great prospect who is going to be a key part of our team. If they want to chuck us 3 million and Scales then sure but we better not let him go on the cheap to get Scales in. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DantheDon said:

I hope we have told Celtic to shove it in this case. Scales is surplus to requirements at Celtic whereas Barron is a great prospect who is going to be a key part of our team. If they want to chuck us 3 million and Scales then sure but we better not let him go on the cheap to get Scales in. 

I’m not so sure re scales. It’s early but he looks good and I fear this goes the same path as Ryan Christie and we end up being unable to afford him and he works his way back in at Celtic, or moves to the championship for more than we can afford.

2 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

I’m not so sure re scales. It’s early but he looks good and I fear this goes the same path as Ryan Christie and we end up being unable to afford him and he works his way back in at Celtic, or moves to the championship for more than we can afford.

I think so. He's good. They won't let him go for nothing. I could see him going for £1M in a year or more if they recall and play him like Christie.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I think so. He's good. They won't let him go for nothing. I could see him going for £1M in a year or more if they recall and play him like Christie.

I'm not saying it wouldn't hurt but if we got scales and money for Barron I could probably live with it.  Purely on the grounds that I think we need scales more than we need Barron right now. 

1 hour ago, tlg1903 said:

I'm not saying it wouldn't hurt but if we got scales and money for Barron I could probably live with it.  Purely on the grounds that I think we need scales more than we need Barron right now. 

That’s how I feel. Especially if we were able to sign Ronan (or clarkson!) permanently! I think scales is very strong and he and Stewart look very good together too.

With a fit Barron, I see no need for Ronan. Vinnie can play 10 and I’m sure the geordie messi could also be back up in there.

I think Watkins will go with mclennan but we have a wealth of wingers.

if Ramirez goes ( which I hope he doesn’t ) we need another striker in as I’m still not convinced by miovski at this point and in my humble opinion DUK is the new Curtis main. Literally tries to run through people.

I don’t even know if we really need another centre half as for me mcrorie  is a limited midfielder. Great energy, poor passer, poor creativity. I’d be surprised if clarkston doesn’t play ahead of him in there once up to speed and Ross drops back.

3 hours ago, redordead said:

With a fit Barron, I see no need for Ronan. Vinnie can play 10 and I’m sure the geordie messi could also be back up in there.

I think Watkins will go with mclennan but we have a wealth of wingers.

if Ramirez goes ( which I hope he doesn’t ) we need another striker in as I’m still not convinced by miovski at this point and in my humble opinion DUK is the new Curtis main. Literally tries to run through people.

I don’t even know if we really need another centre half as for me mcrorie  is a limited midfielder. Great energy, poor passer, poor creativity. I’d be surprised if clarkston doesn’t play ahead of him in there once up to speed and Ross drops back.

I have mixed feelings on ramirez.  He's going to be on a big wedge and if he's just going to sit on the bench most of the season that wage could be better deployed.  That said he is an effective striker at this level.  

I disagree about Miovski and Duk though.  Miovski looks like a much quicker and technically capable Adam Rooney to me and Curtis Main could try to finish like Duk did on Saturday 100 times and maybe get one in. 

The only way I would agree with not taking another cb in is if Mackenzie is going to be getting used at lcb. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, redordead said:

McCrorie should be utilised as a box to box midfielder, which I don't think any of the other midfielders would do as effectively. He's quick, can score goals, and can get back and defend too.

Without him our midfield can become a lot more pedestrian. He's the player to set the tempo.

Completely wasted in defence (Glass) and wasted sitting as a deep defensive midfielder (McInnes). He's been wasted the past two seasons really and I'd go as far as to say he's regressed from the player we signed, which is criminal, as I don't think the blame is all his.

What Goodwin needs to do is work out how to accommodate McCrorie, Ramadani, Barron and Clarkson all into midfield. 

5 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

I don't agree he's wasted in defence. 

He's not a very good left sided defender though, he'd be a weak link. Unless we move to a back three, there isn't a position for him there.

I agree with Panda in the main, but he has his obvious limitations in midfield because he's not that good a footballer. McInnes had him playing box to box right up until he returned from COVID, when he just didn't seem to have the energy for several months. I don't think he regressed as a footballer, more that a huge part of his game - his athleticism - didn't recover that season. The opening league cup games and the end of last season suggests he was back to that level of athleticism, and I think the move to defence may disrupt that again. The sooner we can get him back in midfield the better. However, unless we change formation, we're going to have some very strong players pissed off on the bench or shoehorned into forward roles that others are better suited for.

4 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

He's not a very good left sided defender though, he'd be a weak link. Unless we move to a back three, there isn't a position for him there.

I agree with Panda in the main, but he has his obvious limitations in midfield because he's not that good a footballer. McInnes had him playing box to box right up until he returned from COVID, when he just didn't seem to have the energy for several months. I don't think he regressed as a footballer, more that a huge part of his game - his athleticism - didn't recover that season. The opening league cup games and the end of last season suggests he was back to that level of athleticism, and I think the move to defence may disrupt that again. The sooner we can get him back in midfield the better. However, unless we change formation, we're going to have some very strong players pissed off on the bench or shoehorned into forward roles that others are better suited for.

I don't think we have seen him play anywhere near enough as a lcb to say that with any certainty 2bh.  In fact the only times we have to my memory has been against celtic and St m and I didn't think he didn't look out of place at all. 

6 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

I don't think we have seen him play anywhere near enough as a lcb to say that with any certainty 2bh.  In fact the only times we have to my memory has been against celtic and St m and I didn't think he didn't look out of place at all. 

He played there under Glass a few times and wasn't very good. Anytime he was under pressure on his weak side he struggled and he got turned that way a few times. Agreed though, he was fine in the last two. Would be very cynical about that being a permanent position for him though. I'd say Scales and McKenzie would be better than McRorie and Scales for instance.

Not a lot on the rumour front. Ronan has been sub in the last 2 Wolves EPL games,so probably  rule him out now ?  Thought there was other interest in Bates which would help on the CB  front,though I wouldnt be averse to him staying as right side cover,and getting in another Lefter

26 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Not a lot on the rumour front. Ronan has been sub in the last 2 Wolves EPL games,so probably  rule him out now ?  Thought there was other interest in Bates which would help on the CB  front,though I wouldnt be averse to him staying as right side cover,and getting in another Lefter

Unused sub twice and I think they just signed a 30million plus midfielder yesterday. I think he’s our level, not theirs. Just don’t see a player jumping from st mirren to the EPL, still think he’ll move on somewhere.

If Ronan comes my guess would be it will be right at the end of the window.  It was 42.2 Mill they spunked on a midfielder btw OD.  Other than that I don't think we will see any movement in unless bates goes and another cb comes in.  Maclennan is surely offski (good luck to him, there's a player in there somewhere), probably Watkins too though I think he's reasonable cover.