Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

I tell you what, looking around social media this boy is getting a lot of love and not only from notts County fans.  Seen quite a few Newcastle fans saying they thought he was class and were gutted he was released.  The general consensus is he is a very skilled winger and will likely put a few fullbacks on their arses this season. He's fond of top bins from outside the box too apparently. One comment that did make me chuckle was "he could nutmeg a mermaid". 

Obviously it's just internet babble until he does it on the pitch in red but potentially this could be our most exciting player this season.  

28 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

top bins

When did this phrase make into football lexicon? My nephew says it (4, it's not his fault), and my sister in law was surprised I'd never heard such a term. I'm guessing it's from the sky/english fitba breeding ground. I don't want to be critical of you, but I fucking hate the term. I accept that's my irrationality, and my issue though.

Edit: also, you were just repeating what was said on English fitba forums, so perfectly acceptable usage

Edited by RicoS321
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

When did this phrase make into football lexicon? My nephew says it (4, it's not his fault), and my sister in law was surprised I'd never heard such a term. I'm guessing it's from the sky/english fitba breeding ground. I don't want to be critical of you, but I fucking hate the term. I accept that's my irrationality, and my issue though.

Edit: also, you were just repeating what was said on English fitba forums, so perfectly acceptable usage

Aww mate, I know what that is like.  Anytime someone uses the word season with regards to TV shows it's so irrationally irritating to me. 

I must confess i don't have the same feeling toward "top bins" but I wouldn't use it myself.  Only did above as I saw multiple people use it to describe his play.  

• Like 1

Just now, tlg1903 said:

Aww mate, I know what that is like.  Anytime someone uses the word season with regards to TV shows it's so irrationally irritating to me.

Aye, that's a weird one I hadn't considered. I get it though. It's a fucking series.

• Like 1

Talking of left-backs - Hayden Coulson the next name linked. Currently at Middlesbrough but was most recently on loan at Peterborough. 

Had a loan spell at St Mirren in 2018, managing to miss when Goodwin played and managed there.

Seems to be a very attack minded defender, also playing both wing-back and as an attacking midfielder last season. He favours the left but can also play on the right - even playing as a right winger at times for Middlesbrough.

He also played once at centre forward for St Mirren against Celtic (game finished 0-0).

8 hours ago, Panda said:

In his loan spell at Stirling, and all his games this season, he's been at left back.

If he can play both though then that's handy.

Not sure that's entirely relevant though, many young centre backs come into the first team through the route of fullback. He played centre half for the youths did he not? He very much looks like a centre half playing at fullback. To the extent that if we get a good (and fit) left back by the weekend then I'd be shifting Hancock into centre ahead of McRorie.

On 15/03/2022 at 09:21, BigAl said:

I'd be surprised if we don't sign at least four or five players proven playing in the Scottish top league.

As to who they'll be, haven't got a fucking clue.

@ Rico, it's never to early to speculate although this thread will be on the go for the next five and half months 😉

Well so much for that prediction regarding established players currently in Scottish top league as being the typical type of signing we'd seek.

Frankly nothing could be further from the truth in reality.

Potentially a high risk strategy we've taken on here with so many coming in at the same time with no experience of playing in this league, but it has to said that despite the slow start to matters the excitement level has fairly been cranked up the last few weeks.

Liking the look of the squad now a hell of a lot more than when this thread was started back on 15th March and think this season could be a bit of a rollercoaster with some highs and lows.

P.S Glad I'm not the only one that's never heard the phrase "top bin" 😂

Top bins is a Soccer AM thing isn’t it? Sometimes see some bellends on my FB feed sharing videos (before I muted them) of that mewling quim Jimmy Bullard trying to kick the ball into wheelie bins that have been zip tied to goalposts. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Slim said:

Top bins is a Soccer AM thing isn’t it? Sometimes see some bellends on my FB feed sharing videos (before I muted them) of that mewling quim Jimmy Bullard trying to kick the ball into wheelie bins that have been zip tied to goalposts. 

That's just elevated my rage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigAl said:

Well so much for that prediction regarding established players currently in Scottish top league as being the typical type of signing we'd seek.

Frankly nothing could be further from the truth in reality.

Potentially a high risk strategy we've taken on here with so many coming in at the same time with no experience of playing in this league, but it has to said that despite the slow start to matters the excitement level has fairly been cranked up the last few weeks.

Liking the look of the squad now a hell of a lot more than when this thread was started back on 15th March and think this season could be a bit of a rollercoaster with some highs and lows.

P.S Glad I'm not the only one that's never heard the phrase "top bin" 😂

It's certainly a brave strategy BigAl.  Easy to get the red tinted specs on being a Dons fan but I'd be interested to see how other clubs are viewing our business.  On the face of it we have sold our two best players for £7.5M and brought in players from Benfica B, Wycombe, Notts County, Stevenage and the rest.  I'm guessing if Hibs or Hearts had done that we would be laughing at them so will certainly be intriguing to see what happens this season.  Not sure I am buying the "excitement" that some people are showing but happy to give Goodwin the benefit of the doubt and see how it goes.  The acid test will come on Sunday.

36 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

It's certainly a brave strategy BigAl.  Easy to get the red tinted specs on being a Dons fan but I'd be interested to see how other clubs are viewing our business.  On the face of it we have sold our two best players for £7.5M and brought in players from Benfica B, Wycombe, Notts County, Stevenage and the rest.  I'm guessing if Hibs or Hearts had done that we would be laughing at them so will certainly be intriguing to see what happens this season.  Not sure I am buying the "excitement" that some people are showing but happy to give Goodwin the benefit of the doubt and see how it goes.  The acid test will come on Sunday.

It's certainly the strategy that the fans have been crying out for. I think it's very high risk and the league cup group stages are not that indicative of anything (just as Europe wasn't last season). I'm not seeing a stand out yet in our signings, with Hayes and McRorie probably being the best performers so far. Ramadani looked good in the earlier games, but didn't dominate at all against Raith. Stewart looked like he could do a job in our league without many issues. The passes he gave away were not really of concern as there was an element of trying the difficult pass against a lower league team. He looks like he has the ability to do the simple things well whilst being solid in the challenge. Pace definitely an issue, and Scales covered well in that regard. He looks good too, with the obvious issue that he can't play in 3-4 games. The rest remain unfit or untested. I have a feeling that Roos and Richardson will be the inevitable duds that you always get when signing multiple players. We are going to need a couple that stand out from the rest in order to be successful though. We need real evidence that this approach is working better than simply picking up players from the SPFL or that have played here previously and not made it down South.

6 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Not sure that's entirely relevant though, many young centre backs come into the first team through the route of fullback. He played centre half for the youths did he not? He very much looks like a centre half playing at fullback. To the extent that if we get a good (and fit) left back by the weekend then I'd be shifting Hancock into centre ahead of McRorie.

A young guy that's played the last year at LB, thrown in at CB against the champions?

No, I won't allow it Rico. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

A little harsh maybe but I understand your point. Scales is regarded quite highly plus you can argue we signed three internationalists……so far.

But I do agree with you and I hold my breath. I always get optimistic at this time of year, and I used the Gleason forrester summer as the example a few weeks ago and how that didn’t work as planned. I just hope goodwin and the players are given time as a squad overhaul was needed. 

I won’t judge if we lose or even get spanked by Celtic, first couple of months we’ll see if the signings are of the required level.