Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

2 hours ago, wee toon red said:

This is where having been able to keep Consi would've been handy and it's a shame it didn't happen. A left sided centre back who can cover left back is exactly the player we're missing from the squad.

Yep. The fact that it was glaringly fucking obvious was the most frustrating part.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

If Ronan comes my guess would be it will be right at the end of the window.  It was 42.2 Mill they spunked on a midfielder btw OD.  Other than that I don't think we will see any movement in unless bates goes and another cb comes in.  Maclennan is surely offski (good luck to him, there's a player in there somewhere), probably Watkins too though I think he's reasonable cover. 

Wolves have also just sold midfielder Morgan Gibbs White to Forest for £25m+. 

1 hour ago, Madbadteacher said:

According to BBC gossip (I know, I know....) Jim-bob claims to be looking to sign another striker.

Suggests to me that a) Ramirez is offski; b) He's decided the only way to fix the defence is to score more goals than the other team or c) he's a misguided fool.

I'll go with option (d) all of the previous 😉

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Madbadteacher said:

According to BBC gossip (I know, I know....) Jim-bob claims to be looking to sign another striker.

Suggests to me that a) Ramirez is offski; b) He's decided the only way to fix the defence is to score more goals than the other team or c) he's a misguided fool.

That's the way you read it. The article states Goodwin is looking to "strengthen his attack." That could easily be a #10/attacking midfielder. It also says below that article that we may not see Barron up to speed until after the World Cup.......maybe we need a center/attacking mid??

2 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

That's the way you read it. The article states Goodwin is looking to "strengthen his attack." That could easily be a #10/attacking midfielder. It also says below that article that we may not see Barron up to speed until after the World Cup.......maybe we need a center/attacking mid??

Barron’s role has been overemphasised by our support in my view. He is a good prospect but he has played 1197 minutes of first team football which is the equivalent of about 13 games. You cannot go hanging your hat on a 20 year old with so little experience. Got to be the aim for Lopes to play behind Miovski otherwise why spend the money on him to keep the bench warm?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Barron’s role has been overemphasised by our support in my view. He is a good prospect but he has played 1197 minutes of first team football which is the equivalent of about 13 games. You cannot go hanging your hat on a 20 year old with so little experience. Got to be the aim for Lopes to play behind Miovski otherwise why spend the money on him to keep the bench warm?

Barron's ace. However, he's definitely not a number ten. Neither Clarkson. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Madbadteacher said:

I had a similar reaction at first (apart from doubting the integrity of the gossip column).

We've got Morris(20), Besuijen (21), Lopes (22), Clarkson (20), Barron (19). That's a lot of young players who need to play to develop so you don't want to stack the team, but also we're in danger of being too young and inexperienced. That's how inferior but streetwise teams like Motherwell can come up and dominate. Jayden Richardson (21) and Jack Mackenzie (22) too are both young. Even Miovski is only 23 and Scales and McCrorie are only 24. 

That's why I'd like to see us fight tooth and nail to keep Ramirez. Watkins too shouldn't be going anywhere. 

Whoever we sign next, I don't think we need another project player. How about someone with proven first team experience at a higher level than the English National League who can actually take us up a level.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sheepheid said:

I’m amazed you can tell what Clarkson is after not even two games of football. You should be a scout! 

I've often thought that. Perhaps I should have explained better. Both Barron and Clarkson could play the number ten role, but it is very clear by the way that they play the game that they want to take the ball from the defender and make things happen from deeper. They both play with their heads up, akin to say Billy Gilmour for Scotland. Kenny McLean could (and did) play the number ten role for us, but it was clear by the end of his time here that his role was where he still plays for Norwich and Scotland. From day one, it was clear to see that guys like James Maddison and Scott Wright were number tens. That ability to ghost past a player and play an intricate ball through, whilst constantly moving around to make space in front of the opposition defence is something they excelled at. The alternative is someone big, who'll win headers and flick ons for the striker or hold it up for the oncoming midfielder (Barron!). Both Barron and Clarkson could do the former, but they'd be tracking back constantly and trying to take it too deep. Ferguson did similar for us over the last few years and it was a waste of a role (although he was good in the air). The caveat would be that it works well against the scum, because we've effectively got a midfield three.

Been quite quiet from the club on signings. With Ramirez, Bates and McLennan not on the bench today, it's vital that we move these three on. The longer you have senior professionals (and McLennan) on the bench, the more disruptive it will be. I'd probably shift Watkins too if we can get someone to pay out his contract. We're light in midfield (assuming Polvara is deemed not good enough), we can't rely on Clarkson every week. I'd like to see us offload before getting anyone else though. That should be the priority and I'd probably cope if we had no more in before January.

1 minute ago, RicoS321 said:

Been quite quiet from the club on signings. With Ramirez, Bates and McLennan not on the bench today, it's vital that we move these three on. The longer you have senior professionals (and McLennan) on the bench, the more disruptive it will be. I'd probably shift Watkins too if we can get someone to pay out his contract. We're light in midfield (assuming Polvara is deemed not good enough), we can't rely on Clarkson every week. I'd like to see us offload before getting anyone else though. That should be the priority and I'd probably cope if we had no more in before January.

I still look at our defence with  degree of trepidation. Had LIvi got the goal the first goal they probably deserved in the first half today I'm worried they could have done a Motherwell on us. we were honking early doors and we still have little defensive cover so a defender has to be a priority in my mind. 

• Like 3

Hadn’t read this thread before the match thread. But if that’s the case definitely should be moving these guys on quick fast. Agree about the defence, there was a good 10 min spell in the first where they were making poor decisions that ultimately on another day would have been punished. 

54 minutes ago, KGB said:

I still look at our defence with  degree of trepidation. Had LIvi got the goal the first goal they probably deserved in the first half today I'm worried they could have done a Motherwell on us. we were honking early doors and we still have little defensive cover so a defender has to be a priority in my mind. 

It's frustrating. I hate signing players for cover, but you're probably right. A Dom Ball type (like McRorie but worse!) that can cover defensive midfield and the right side of defence would be ideal (assuming bates is away). McKenzie can be cover for the left side of defence positions. I think we should go lean unless a good signing pops up and deal with it in January. We've had a huge turnover and I'd like to see us bed them in first so we can work out who the duds are.

Ronan didn't make wolves 25 man squad for the league so I would say he's likely to move on.  At 24 he needs to play. 

Agree re defence, one more would just make all the difference.. When you think about it there's no actual real competition for scales and Stewart.  

7 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

Agree re defence, one more would just make all the difference.. When you think about it there's no actual real competition for scales and Stewart

I think it's one of the areas of the pitch where competition isn't actually a necessity, rather "cover" is a more appropriate term. Scales and Stewart will rarely be dropped and central defence is about building a partnership and continuity. It's not really an area you want to see chopping and changing to induce competition. It's really difficult to find a player that is good, but will happily spend long periods of the season on the bench waiting for an injury or suspension. Thus we need a utility player perhaps that can cover right back and midfield to ensure that they get plenty of game time. Dominic Ball would barely have played a minute for us if he could just cover centre back for instance. Whilst he wasn't amazing, he covered a lot of roles adequately. If we get Ronan in, then him, Clarkson and Ramadani should be good enough to hold the midfield on the rare occasion that McRorie has to cover for Stewart (Stewart doesn't seem to suffer from indiscipline and central defenders outwith Mikey Devlin seem to be injured much less than others - usually they suffer a bad one if getting injured!). If Bates is still here later this week then it's effectively problem solved either way.

2 hours ago, Jute said:

Scales will definitely be out of at least another 3 games so we need cover for that at a minimum. Could maybe play McKenzie as left sided centre back? 

Hemmin, don't do that to me - initially read that as Scales out for at least the next three games...

Think Jack Milne is our back-up for RCB (clearly ahead of Bates in pecking order). However I'd still like Bates to stay as I think when you sign a LCB with the message they're essentially a back-up - then you get a back-up level of player.

Getting rid of Bates & Ramirez sounds fine when everyone is fit. Let's say Miovski picks up an injury, is Duk ready to lead the line? Would prefer Ramirez personally.

Hearts today had Andy Halliday playing centre-half due to injuries. A better team than St Johnstone would have beat them.

6 minutes ago, Panda said:

Think Jack Milne is our back-up for RCB (clearly ahead of Bates in pecking order). However I'd still like Bates to stay as I think when you sign a LCB with the message they're essentially a back-up - then you get a back-up level of player.

Getting rid of Bates & Ramirez sounds fine when everyone is fit. Let's say Miovski picks up an injury, is Duk ready to lead the line? Would prefer Ramirez personally.

Hearts today had Andy Halliday playing centre-half due to injuries. A better team than St Johnstone would have beat them.

Ramirez is a proven goal scorer, and that was when he had virtually no service and I think that if he plays in the current team, he will score goals. To get rid of him and leave us without central striker cover seems a bit short sighted but I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes with him and Goodwin. I like Lopes but from what I've seen we cant rely on him for goals. 

If Milne is ready and good enough I'm happy but as I've only seen him play in the midfield I just don't know. The fact that Goodwin has utilised McCrorie in the centre of defence doesn't fill me with confidence because McCrorie isn't the answer in that position. I think we need cover and I agree with Rico that it probably has to be a utility player.

21 minutes ago, KGB said:

Ramirez is a proven goal scorer, and that was when he had virtually no service and I think that if he plays in the current team, he will score goals. To get rid of him and leave us without central striker cover seems a bit short sighted but I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes with him and Goodwin. I like Lopes but from what I've seen we cant rely on him for goals. 

If Milne is ready and good enough I'm happy but as I've only seen him play in the midfield I just don't know. The fact that Goodwin has utilised McCrorie in the centre of defence doesn't fill me with confidence because McCrorie isn't the answer in that position. I think we need cover and I agree with Rico that it probably has to be a utility player.

Ramirez is on a big wedge though, that wage could be better deployed if he's gonna be on the bench most of the season