Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer rebuild

Going by the mixed comments on the signings so far,would enough folks sitting on the fence re season tickets,be pushed over the line by a few more tasty signings.Eg say 2000 new ticket sales = appx £700k. If we bought for eg,a couple of £350k players. ie could we recoup close to that type of investment in ST sales?

Not convinced theres enough young talent coming thru(possibly because McInnes didnt encourage it enough),but as things stand,if the Ferguson situation doesnt change soon,I think a couple more in would be worth a punt

50 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Going by the mixed comments on the signings so far,would enough folks sitting on the fence re season tickets,be pushed over the line by a few more tasty signings.Eg say 2000 new ticket sales = appx £700k. If we bought for eg,a couple of £350k players. ie could we recoup close to that type of investment in ST sales?

Not convinced theres enough young talent coming thru(possibly because McInnes didnt encourage it enough),but as things stand,if the Ferguson situation doesnt change soon,I think a couple more in would be worth a punt

We were promised “exciting signings”.

They've not really materialised 

37 minutes ago, RedStarTorphins said:

We were promised “exciting signings”.

They've not really materialised 

Was that not brown? I reckon Cormack and Glass will think so. Nae for me like. Ramirez would have been an exciting signing if the Hernandez thing hadn't happened previously. 

I'm slightly struggling to see how a front two of Ramirez and Jet fits the fast flowing fitba promised.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Was that not brown? I reckon Cormack and Glass will think so. Nae for me like. Ramirez would have been an exciting signing if the Hernandez thing hadn't happened previously. 

I'm slightly struggling to see how a front two of Ramirez and Jet fits the fast flowing fitba promised.

None of the signings have pace.

Bizarre recruitment policy for a team that is supposedly going to play with a high press.  

Depends on your outlook and I’ve commented on the negativity before. We were shit last year and have upgraded if you ask me.  A lot of it is unknown which makes people nervous, particularly when you add the cultural difference coming from overseas. But I’d rather see that than the journeyman Scottish pro or an unknown from English league 1 or 2. That’s exciting to me.

weve added another coach that I think brings more to our coaching staff. History of youth development , modern methodology, and a track record, plus new blood added to existing experience.

From what I’ve seen, which isn’t much so I could be wrong, jet is better than anything we had up top last year and I was impressed with the little I saw of him. Would take him over kamberi.

brown will be a clear leader and influencer in the middle of the park, although he is older so im not expecting too much. We’ve not had a clear presence in there for years.

Gallagher is a clear upgrade in central defense, better than Taylor, and Hoban who fizzled out.

Ramirez comes with a positive background and was capped by the US not that long ago. Russel has a connection with the guy, Atlanta tried and failed to sign him last year, I think he’ll be a good signing. I’d take him over Hornby or hendry.

jenks sounds like a talented lad, I’d prefer to see him play over Ojo or mcgeough.

we’re still missing a full back or two, a winger or two, and a number 10. But as I’ve said before, I’m optimistic. 

• Like 1

I'm just in the benefit of the doubt stage, no reason to think otherwise. Other than Ramirez and Gurr, these are very much McInnes style signings. I literally see no difference, and no reason to get excited (or the opposite). Had McInnes signed Ramirez, we'd be excited because of the "out of the box" thinking - as we were (apart from me, because I'm a miserable dick) with Hernandez - however Hernandez soured that and made us question the Atlanta/US link which is unfair on Ramirez. I think that when you sack a successful manager, the expectation is raised that something systemic will change too and I think that the evidence for that hasn't materialised yet. Nor is the stated tactical goal represented by the signings, which is so often the case.

I'd like to see us add a left back, a wide player and a fast striker if that helps!

I get concerned any time signings from abroad are mentioned. (Very) Generally speaking, foreign signings just don’t work long term for us unless you go back to the Snelders, Gillhaus days and let’s not forget these guys were top internationals which we can no longer afford never mind attract. Whenever we sign from abroad they are either crap from the start or have a very short period of effectiveness before they become crap. Can think of very few who have been successful for a long spell. Even the likes of Zero and Stavrum, who you could say bucked the trend, were barely here before they moved on. I’d far prefer we stuck to British or Irish players.

The Club are really milking this Ramirez signing, and when I say that, I mean they are acting, on Social Media anyway, that he's some sort of messiah ( Or Superman ? ) I just pray that it does not backfire and he becomes a Dud. 

I am definitely going into this Season with confidence, the more time Glass, Russell & Apaloo get to work with them, the better. Perhaps I have just given up with McInnes' eye bleeding negative shite for the last 3 years that anything new was bound to excite me, but I truly believe we're going to be a good team this Season, a team that surprise a good few people. 

Either that or we'll be mid-table shite and out of both cups early. ( The saving grace there is that Glass is only on a 12 month rolling contract ) 

Come on you Fucking Reds! 

• Like 1

Media are reporting that ex-Celtic striker Tommy Johnson is going to be our new Head of Recruitment. Last I heard of him, he was going to join Henrik Larsson's management team at Southend before pulling out at the last moment, scuppering the whole arrangement. Currently doing the same role at Blackpool for last 2 years. A quick glance at their squad doesn't give much indication if he's any good, although I did notice ex-Dons striker Joe Nuttall is there as is Demetri Mitchell who was on loan at Hearts for a while.

1 hour ago, KennyFuckinPowers said:

The Club are really milking this Ramirez signing, and when I say that, I mean they are acting, on Social Media anyway, that he's some sort of messiah ( Or Superman ? ) I just pray that it does not backfire and he becomes a Dud. 

I am definitely going into this Season with confidence, the more time Glass, Russell & Apaloo get to work with them, the better. Perhaps I have just given up with McInnes' eye bleeding negative shite for the last 3 years that anything new was bound to excite me, but I truly believe we're going to be a good team this Season, a team that surprise a good few people. 

Either that or we'll be mid-table shite and out of both cups early. ( The saving grace there is that Glass is only on a 12 month rolling contract ) 

Come on you Fucking Reds! 

You don’t think the squad is a bit thin/weak on certain areas?

I do.

All outfield areas apart from central midfield.

We have TWO strikers.

We are weak for wingers (if we’re counting Kennedy & McLennan). McGinn can’t play there now, & Hayes showed signs of coming up for 34. 
Hedges might play off the right… we need a fast winger.

Central defence:

Gallagher - should be solid

Considine - should be a back up now

Devlin - injury prone waste of a wage

McCrorie - not really a central defender.

3 hours ago, RedStarTorphins said:

You don’t think the squad is a bit thin/weak on certain areas?

I do.

All outfield areas apart from central midfield.

We have TWO strikers.

We are weak for wingers (if we’re counting Kennedy & McLennan). McGinn can’t play there now, & Hayes showed signs of coming up for 34. 
Hedges might play off the right… we need a fast winger.

Central defence:

Gallagher - should be solid

Considine - should be a back up now

Devlin - injury prone waste of a wage

McCrorie - not really a central defender.

Here's what I think we have.....

GK - Lewis, Woods

RB - McCrorie, Gurr, Ramsay, Virtanen

LB - Considine, McKenzie, Hayes, (even Campbell)

CB - Devlin, Gallagher (plus Considine)

CM - Ferguson, Ojo, McGeough, Brown, Campbell, Jenks

ACM - McGinn

RW/LW - Kennedy, Hedges, McLennan

F - Jet, Ramirez, Ruth (even McLennan)

That's a squad of 24. I think we definitely sign at least one more central defender (we are looking and missed out on Robertson), at least one more winger, and I'd say another forward too. I think we desperately need a #10, and I've moaned about that for years. I think our failure to have a creative attacking central midfielder has killed us no end, although Jet talks about liking to play deep, maybe that's his role???

Based on this, I'd say probably 2-4 more coming in. Anyone linked????

I'd say slap a 5 mill plus price tag on Ferguson and ship him out ASAP. We'll get that money, we need to move on from this and have replacements for him already in the squad. Finances another 4 players no problem.

Edited by LA-Don

31 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I think jenks might be a no 10, LA. Can't see Ferguson moving quickly in the window, one of those where the buyer will try and string us along with derisory offers to unsettle the player and lots of paper talk.

I read somewhere he was a 6’3 box to box midfielder, actually not unlike Ferguson. Could be wrong though.

id really like us to publicize a price and push for a sale, force the issue. I still think if we say we’ll accept in excess of 5 mill we’ll get buyers sooner, we just force it. I fear the McKenna situation where it fizzles out and we eventually get a lesser deal. Saying that, if Ferguson is smart, he plays with brown for a year, an experienced pro that can certainly help him in my opinion.

19 minutes ago, LA-Don said:

I read somewhere he was a 6’3 box to box midfielder, actually not unlike Ferguson. Could be wrong though.

id really like us to publicize a price and push for a sale, force the issue. I still think if we say we’ll accept in excess of 5 mill we’ll get buyers sooner, we just force it. I fear the McKenna situation where it fizzles out and we eventually get a lesser deal. Saying that, if Ferguson is smart, he plays with brown for a year, an experienced pro that can certainly help him in my opinion.

Aye, I'm not sure the best option on trying to sell a player, we've done fairly well of late with that either way. I'd happily keep Ferguson another year, you could see he was beginning to get his finger out and I think he could have a fantastic year if he stayed. I wouldn't take less than £4M for him now, and gamble on getting more in January.

30 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

Anyone watch tonight's Q&A? Doesn't sound like we're after too many more players, although I have a feeling Glass was playing his cards quite close to his chest regarding transfers.

Watched some of it, I think he’s playing it down as surely we have to add some more. Have to get a central defender and a creative midfielder/winger (ideally both) at the very worst. Think the fact we were trying to get Clark Robertson and supposedly Jamie McGrath suggests he knows we’re missing a few. Additionally, he talked up Jack Gurr, curious to what we get there.

Edited by LA-Don

58 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

Anyone watch tonight's Q&A? Doesn't sound like we're after too many more players, although I have a feeling Glass was playing his cards quite close to his chest regarding transfers.

Watched some of it, I think he’s playing it down but we have to add some more. Have to get a central defender and a creative midfielder/winger (ideally both) at the very worst. Think the fact we were liking to get Robertson and tried to get Additionally, he talked up Jack Gurr, curious to what we get there.

I’ll even add that we have 3 central defenders which includes an aging Andy and Mikey Devlin. I don’t see Devlin being fit for long. He was a good player but I do believe he’s damaged goods and his body won’t last. Central defender will be added.