Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer rebuild

Not sure it's egg on face for Cormack, it was always going to be a bit of a long shot and at least it alerts Hibs to the fact that we think they are beneath us. Even Boyle has shied away from saying he's not interested. The net result is that Hibs have increased their wage bill.

The problem Cormack has now that it has set a level of expectation regarding our next signing. If the "Plan B" is some Atlanta reject or an unknown loanee, then he might be rubbing yolk from his eyes.

32 minutes ago, Panda said:

According to Boyle the talks were well underway over a new contract long before the Dons interest broke. Aberdeen either unaware or were trying to unsettle him/an opponent.

Unsettling an opponent isn't done in that fashion, I'm assuming it's the former. McLennan did a good job of running fast in the direction he's facing tonight, we don't need Boyle. 

32 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

New striker incoming from wolves. Austin Samuels on loan with an option to buy. Quick apparently. One senior goal ever, which fits the profile.

Senior goal was against Tonbridge in FA Cup. Record does not look good. 

6 hours ago, HaarDon said:

Ffs so the new Director of Recruitment is really excelling.

Bullshit!!!

Supposedly we are in the market for two new strikers.

Whilst this may have also been my first thought, I'm prepared to hold fire on criticising until the transfer window shuts next week before being overly critical as I struggle to beleive we've really gone from bidding £500k for Boyle to picking up a loan signing like this without something else going on in the background.

Usually I'll wait to see how good they are but it just seems like a lazy typical McInnes loan this.

Hope I'm wrong.

When you have a new recruitment director assigned , you expect over the last few weeks to have got a striker with a better pedigree than 2 goals.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HaarDon said:

Usually I'll wait to see how good they are but it just seems like a lazy typical McInnes loan this.

Hope I'm wrong.

When you have a new recruitment director assigned , you expect over the last few weeks to have got a striker with a better pedigree than 2 goals.

I'm hoping that the recruitment director isn't actually scouting individual players, rather getting a system in place that allows us to pinpoint players that suit our style of play and players that will make us a return. I wouldn't expect him to have an immediate impact in this window unless he's picking the dregs from his previous club for now.

Regardless of how good this youngster is, I hope we see more of the loan deals happening with a purchase option. I don't think we've seen enough from Jenks to suggest he's a worthwhile loanee in terms of a value adding asset. By that, I mean that he'd be quite easy to replace with an actual signed player. That seems to be the deal with all our loanees, who've generally not been terrible, but no better than our average squad players.

I think the problem with loaning young Premier League players is that they're rarely ready to make much of an impact or they wouldn't be loaned out to us in the first place.

I always think back to Maddison, who was arguably one of the most talented players to play for us in the last 20 years if you look at what he's done since, but even he barely did anything for us beyond one glorious free kick. That's kind of the best case scenario and it still wasn't that great.

57 minutes ago, sancho_panza said:

I think the problem with loaning young Premier League players is that they're rarely ready to make much of an impact or they wouldn't be loaned out to us in the first place.

I always think back to Maddison, who was arguably one of the most talented players to play for us in the last 20 years if you look at what he's done since, but even he barely did anything for us beyond one glorious free kick. That's kind of the best case scenario and it still wasn't that great.

^^^this. I'd love to know the strategy behind these moves. It's a very distinct category of player: u21 loanee (as opposed to guys like Leigh, Logan or Wilson). I wonder how our success compares there with, say, u21 dons youth or normal signing of any age? The only thing I can think of is budget. If we're paying the same amount for the loan signing as we are one of our own youth who we think isn't ready yet, then it's quite a good method for providing squad depth. However, if they're on a similar wage to Kennedy or someone then I don't see why we wouldn't be better getting an actual signed asset. As I say, we can exclude loan deals made with a purchase option, which are more obvious. 

2 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

Happier about this now we have an option to buy. 

Absolutely. As long as we're not held over the barrel if he does do well, happy days. Definitely better to have the option of buying rather than developing someone else's talent.

3 hours ago, Jute said:

According to Transfer Market site Samuel’s contract expires on 30th June 2022 so a bit confused by the option to buy for a player who is free to move (development money aside) in June anyway.

Yeah that's fucking odd, most likely the site is wrong but who knows. 

7 hours ago, manc_don said:

Absolutely. As long as we're not held over the barrel if he does do well, happy days. Definitely better to have the option of buying rather than developing someone else's talent.

The fee will be agreed as part of the loan deal Manc

• Thanks 1