Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer rebuild

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

We won't be signing Jackson Irvine, if indeed we were ever remotely interested as he is off to St Pauli in Germany.

No great loss in my opinion

I like him, but see him playing a similar midfield position to Ferguson, mcgeough, Campbell, brown, ojo, mccrorie, even jenks. I think he’s played as a central defender and we need that but is more of a midfielder now and we don’t really need him with the log jam we have there. We need the creative midfield types and that’s not him.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on what we saw today, i think we are good for fullbacks when we have the two young boys, gurr, hayes, considine and mccrorie. Still think we need another central defender, a #10, and a winger. Not convinced by mclennan, kennedy, even ojo wide, but at least the first two are essential.

4 hours ago, LA-Don said:

Based on what we saw today, i think we are good for fullbacks when we have the two young boys, gurr, hayes, considine and mccrorie. Still think we need another central defender, a #10, and a winger. Not convinced by mclennan, kennedy, even ojo wide, but at least the first two are essential.

I agree about fullbacks. I wouldn't say centre half is a priority. Considine, Gallagher, Devlin and McRorie is enough for the time being. If we could only get one or two players in I'd be looking at a striker and a winger, with a fast striker a priority. Ramirez looked a bit tired around 70 minutes last night (before his goal) and we could have been doing with fresh legs. Jet also looked tired, but was playing slightly deeper so could have been replaced by jenks in theory. Other than McGinn, there wasn't an option to replace. If we're continuing with two up front then we need an option to take off the bench as the number one priority. That said, I don't think we'll be restricted to one or two signings so a centre half would be my third choice. Another priority is to move on some players. If Ojo is ahead of McGeouch then I'd like to see McGeouch moved on, similarly one of McLennan and Kennedy. Our bench looked a little busy last night. Filled with senior players.

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I agree about fullbacks. I wouldn't say centre half is a priority. Considine, Gallagher, Devlin and McRorie is enough for the time being. If we could only get one or two players in I'd be looking at a striker and a winger, with a fast striker a priority. Ramirez looked a bit tired around 70 minutes last night (before his goal) and we could have been doing with fresh legs. Jet also looked tired, but was playing slightly deeper so could have been replaced by jenks in theory. Other than McGinn, there wasn't an option to replace. If we're continuing with two up front then we need an option to take off the bench as the number one priority. That said, I don't think we'll be restricted to one or two signings so a centre half would be my third choice. Another priority is to move on some players. If Ojo is ahead of McGeouch then I'd like to see McGeouch moved on, similarly one of McLennan and Kennedy. Our bench looked a little busy last night. Filled with senior players.

Felt a bit sorry for Johnny last night.He looks frustrated at L B.

I would give him a run of a few games alongside Jet or Ramirez to see if he might be an additional striker option

forgot about Devlin, plus mccrorie played well yesterday, so maybe not quite so essential. Would quite like to see Mackenzie given a run at left back and hayes ahead of him. While he doesn’t have the pace he used to, hayes as well as hedges are clearly our best wide players. Would like us to move on kennedy and bring in another winger.

agree we have a log jam in center mid, need to move on ojo or mcgeough and get a more creative midfielder. I know st mirren want money and it’s my American influence here, but no way cash plus ojo or mcgeough, and or kennedy for McGrath?? agree another forward too, while that’s mcginn now I think we’re still thin up top. 

• Like 1

On 23/07/2021 at 08:50, RicoS321 said:

Another priority is to move on some players. If Ojo is ahead of McGeouch then I'd like to see McGeouch moved on, similarly one of McLennan and Kennedy. Our bench looked a little busy last night. Filled with senior players.

Think McGeouch could actually be an important player this season.

Before Glass took over I was reading some American blogs to try and get a handle on how he liked to set up, and it appeared he was a big fan of one guy dropping deep and picking the ball up from defence. That was very much what Brown did against Hacken, at times playing centre of a back three, then pushing into midfield.

Brown though I doubt will play 40-50 games this season, certainly not the full 90 minutes. It'll be a big ask to play 2-3 times a week, which at times we'll have to do. So he needs a back-up for that role.

McCrorie possibly will be that man with Gallagher partnership Considine, but it's also a role that seems to very much suit McGeouch.

The jury is still out on Ojo. Glass seems to be playing him in more of a forward role which essentially means he doesn't have to do all the stuff he's crap at - tackling, heading, closing players down. 

The guy I wonder about now is Dean Campbell. Not a fan of shipping players off on loan as I prefer they learn how to play in our system, but I don't know where we play him and Jenks coming in on loan pushes him further down the pecking order.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, manc_don said:

A few rumours going round that Hedges isn't signing a new deal and linked with Boro'?  If he's going to walk away for free, we need to sell him now imo.  Time for a replacement.

Also being linked with Blackburn managed by our new head of recruitment’s brother. 

Also being reported that Virtanen is being allowed to leave.

1 hour ago, manc_don said:

A few rumours going round that Hedges isn't signing a new deal and linked with Boro'?  If he's going to walk away for free, we need to sell him now imo.  Time for a replacement.

Last year, I would take 750k 2bh

Plenty of positives in the first 3 games but I’m certainly concerned by our lack of creative players. Jet is probably our only #10 type, but we need a natural attacking central mid to make us less predictable. So far it’s hedges mclennan and ojo wide but I think one more is needed too. Are we priced out from going for McGrath? Anyone else remotely linked with us? If hedges were to go we are really limited on the creative front.

plus who is the other forward we pick up? That’s essential!

6 hours ago, LA-Don said:

Plenty of positives in the first 3 games but I’m certainly concerned by our lack of creative players. Jet is probably our only #10 type, but we need a natural attacking central mid to make us less predictable. So far it’s hedges mclennan and ojo wide but I think one more is needed too. Are we priced out from going for McGrath? Anyone else remotely linked with us? If hedges were to go we are really limited on the creative front.

plus who is the other forward we pick up? That’s essential!

McGrath is off to England.

That ship has well and truly sailed

We simply can't/won't compete.

15 hours ago, HaarDon said:

Hedges is worth at least $2mill imo

13 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Not with a year left on his deal he isn't 

A quarter of the inital sum would be tops in my opinion under those circumstances and even then that only remains the case until the end of this window. 

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

A quarter of the inital sum would be tops in my opinion under those circumstances and even then that only remains the case until the end of this window. 

I reckon we might be able to squeeze 750k but I concede 500 is more realistic