Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Summer rebuild

Watkins returns? Strange one if true. He was good for us last season, but why wouldn't we have moved for him last week? He'd have been extremely useful tonight. Happy if he signs, but strikes me as the type of business that should be done ahead of European fixtures.

Edit: I don't mean ahead of all the fixtures as he's not long been released, but just one we should have been ready to snap up if we were interested.

Edited by RicoS321

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Watkins returns? Strange one if true. He was good for us last season, but why wouldn't we have moved for him last week? He'd have been extremely useful tonight. Happy if he signs, but strikes me as the type of business that should be done ahead of European fixtures.

Edit: I don't mean ahead of all the fixtures as he's not long been released, but just one we should have been ready to snap up if we were interested.

Under contract at Cardiff until the end of august I think, hence the timing??

Okay with this signing. I don't think he's what's going to give us what we need (a goalscorer) but he'll be good back up to JET I think. Maybe a bit pacier but not necessarily as good technically.

Also rumours from Scott Burns that we're Matty Longstaff, which would be a very interesting signing (guessing Ferguson replacement)

6 hours ago, manc_don said:

Okay with this signing. I don't think he's what's going to give us what we need (a goalscorer) but he'll be good back up to JET I think. Maybe a bit pacier but not necessarily as good technically.

Also rumours from Scott Burns that we're Matty Longstaff, which would be a very interesting signing (guessing Ferguson replacement)

Another inexperienced loan signing just what we need. What happened to developing our own players. 

51 minutes ago, Jute said:

Another inexperienced loan signing just what we need. What happened to developing our own players. 

At least we've heard of this one. I agree though, it's not ideal and not what we were expecting, or told, under Glass/Cormack. Weirdly, he's in his last year too. Didn't play at all last season. Straight in the team ahead of Jenks? Fuck knows to be honest, I'm struggling to see what we're doing with the team, including Watkins who doesn't quite fit either. It's like when we signed McGeouch because Ojo wasn't good enough. I feel sorry for Campbell who played well against hearts and had a bit of urgency about him last night again. I was hoping Glass would try and get the best out of him.

What is going on with the transfer policy?

Jet - 30

Ramirez - 30

Woods - 30

Watkins - 30

Brown - 36

Gallagher - 30

Is this a fitba team we are building or a retirement home? 

The basis of our relative success over the past few years has been that we got a nucleus of players who were in their early/mid twenties and who could stick around and play a couple of hundred games each to build a bit of consistency of selection and get a bit of a rapport going with the fans.  I am thinking of Lewis, Considine, Logan, Shinnie, Rooney, Jack, McLean, McGinn, Hayes etc.  These recent signings, plus the ones we have on loan, are going to be in the team no longer than a couple of seasons maximum and have no sell on potential either. 

Just a hunch but I can also see Ferguson moving on in the next few days after the European exit.  Probably to Glasgow for about £1.8M.

Don't remember bates being any better than McRorie, although he is more physical I think. It was clear last night that McRorie struggled on his wrong side, and I've no reason to assume that bates would be any better in that regard. It's a little bit like the McInnes style of signing players because they're good and available rather than trying to fit into our team. We needed a left sided centre half.

Record also mentions we've been sniffing about the Breidablik left back. Don't remember anyone from those games particularly standing out, think it's the boy with the big mop of blonde hair. I think we're pretty well covered there anyway.

Longstaff would probably be our best midfield player but I don't see the point in loans unless it is an emergency which used to be the whole point of them for maybe when you were desperately short of a goalie for example.  Seem to recall us taking Bobby Mimms and John Burridge back in the day.

Otherwise, unless you have an option to buy at an agreed price, you are just developing someone else's player and the player has no loyalty to you when the chips are down.  You are also in a state of constant replenishment every summer because you know at least four or five players are leaving.  Other than Ryan Christie, which seemed to work out not bad we have gone through so many bad loanees that I would prefer us to just take a punt on someone from the Scottish Championship to see if we could unearth a gem.

Longstaff is apparently very good so I'll take him as a developing player while we search for another.

We need all the help we can get at the moment in keeping our position at the top of the league.

If he helps us for say 6 months then leaves, so be it.

5 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Longstaff would probably be our best midfield player but I don't see the point in loans unless it is an emergency which used to be the whole point of them for maybe when you were desperately short of a goalie for example.  Seem to recall us taking Bobby Mimms and John Burridge back in the day.

Otherwise, unless you have an option to buy at an agreed price, you are just developing someone else's player and the player has no loyalty to you when the chips are down.  You are also in a state of constant replenishment every summer because you know at least four or five players are leaving.  Other than Ryan Christie, which seemed to work out not bad we have gone through so many bad loanees that I would prefer us to just take a punt on someone from the Scottish Championship to see if we could unearth a gem.

Christ, we've been complaining about Short-staff all window then when we finally address that....

I think the loan system is good, I'm just not sure of our strategy, or if there is one at all. Longstaff is probably exactly the type of player we should be considering. Someone that we can't afford but can improve our first eleven. Jenks is a squad filler, like Edmondson and the various others before him. They only serve to compete with our young players for game time, devaluing them (Campbell versus Jenks). It should be the same when we loan our players too. They should be going for 90 regular 70-90 minutes of football. Accordingly we should be sending them to places where they're good enough to get those minutes.

• Like 1

Is bates a left sided central defender/leftie?? I’d be happy with him.

haven’t heard of longstaff, creative attacking midfielder or the same as what we have? I think we are more than covered for holding/box to box midfielders, and I even see jenks as more of the defensive type. You’ve all heard me bitch about it, has to be a creative attacking mid.

oh, and another winger please.

4 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

Longstaff is confirmed and is surely Ferguson's replacement for the season?

That would be my thought as well. Very similar type of player to Ferguson. No sure if he is as good as Ferguson though. Still think we need a proper number 10 but guessing that’s not coming.

Probably complete and utter shite so massive dose of salt required.

Claim by someone calling themselves AgentAberdonia that Fergie going to Newcastle in a loan to buy deal. Season  loan and then £3m plus add ons. 

Newcastle apparently can't make any signings at present ?

P.S I personally smell shite and don't believe it. Merely sharing guys.